Scald - Ancient Doom Metal
Black Oath - Black Oath
Necronomicon - The Demos
Heavy Load - Metal Conquest
Ritvs - Der Tag Naht
Hellripper - Coagulating Darkness (Discogs random pick )

#14311 September 12, 2024, 01:26:06 PM Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 01:27:44 PM by londonleatherboy
Quote from: Mithrandir on September 11, 2024, 11:29:46 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 11, 2024, 10:13:12 PMDarkthrone- Soulside Journey. I've had this on a lot lately. Savage album.

Controversially I reckon their best  8)

Had Senjutsu on a lot the last week in prep for Monday, took a while to crack it. Some great songs on there, definitely some shite as well. I've really struggled with the 3 albums since AMOLAD. Listening to Dance of Death last night it's leaps and bounds ahead of the recent output. But I suppose 20 years difference will do that. 

Agreed, Dance of Death was the last time they were slightly fun..I love AMOLAD as well, but they've gone off a cliff after that....rehashed everything that takes from 8-18 minutes to get to the point with Bruce wailing song titles over and over. Try the Red and Black challenge from the book of snores. try to stay interested as long as ya can..14 minutes of shite that shouldve been no longer than 5 mins

Belinus- Battlechants.
Corr Mhóna- Abhainn.
Varathron- Walpurgisnacht.

Decided to just listen to bands beginning with a C yesterday... Plenty of bangers to choose from...

Carcass - Heartwork
Coroner - No More Colour
Carpathian Forest - Strange Old Brew (only one shit track on this...)
Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory (love Midnight's vocals!)
Count Raven - Storm Warning
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Cirith Ungol - Frost & Fire

Trelldom- Til et annet... first time listening to this I think. I like it.

#14315 September 13, 2024, 04:16:34 PM Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 04:20:51 PM by Ducky
Quote from: londonleatherboy on September 12, 2024, 01:26:06 PM
Quote from: Mithrandir on September 11, 2024, 11:29:46 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 11, 2024, 10:13:12 PMDarkthrone- Soulside Journey. I've had this on a lot lately. Savage album.

Controversially I reckon their best  8)

Had Senjutsu on a lot the last week in prep for Monday, took a while to crack it. Some great songs on there, definitely some shite as well. I've really struggled with the 3 albums since AMOLAD. Listening to Dance of Death last night it's leaps and bounds ahead of the recent output. But I suppose 20 years difference will do that. 

Agreed, Dance of Death was the last time they were slightly fun..I love AMOLAD as well, but they've gone off a cliff after that....rehashed everything that takes from 8-18 minutes to get to the point with Bruce wailing song titles over and over. Try the Red and Black challenge from the book of snores. try to stay interested as long as ya can..14 minutes of shite that shouldve been no longer than 5 mins

I always found Dance of Death to be one of their worst. Bar Montsegur and Rainmaker it's unlistenable for me. And even at that, I remember being in Zhivago Records in Galway when it came out, they stuck on Rainmaker and I initially thought that wee intro lick was a sped up South of Heaven, and haven't been able to unhear it since.

AMOLAD was the last half decent thing they've released. Some of the albums after that have decent songs, but there's usually too much bloat attached to them, and they all have that horribly flat production that's plagued the band this century.

When I think about it, I have no idea why they're held in such high esteem when when the last must-have release of their's came out in 1988.

Grave Miasma - Endless Pilgrimage
Father Befouled - Immaculate Pain ep

Quote from: Ducky on September 13, 2024, 04:16:34 PMWhen I think about it, I have no idea why they're held in such high esteem when when the last must-have release of their's came out in 1988.

Those first 7 albums are all gold, don't think another metal band had a run of albums like that, puts a lot of credit in their bank. Plus they also have a lot of delusional fans, like me, who will still buy anything they release.   

Dodheimsgard - A Umbra Omega
Riot - ThunderSteel
Ereb Altor - Blod Eld Dod
Stygian Crown - Funeral For A King
Spectral Wound - Songs of Blood and Mire (still think this is a absolute banger of an album). 
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Judas Priest - Stained Class

Quote from: Anvil on September 14, 2024, 11:55:19 AM
Quote from: Ducky on September 13, 2024, 04:16:34 PMWhen I think about it, I have no idea why they're held in such high esteem when when the last must-have release of their's came out in 1988.

Those first 7 albums are all gold, don't think another metal band had a run of albums like that, puts a lot of credit in their bank. Plus they also have a lot of delusional fans, like me, who will still buy anything they release.

I'll hold my hand up to that too.

I'd given up on them after the '90s period, those albums are bottom of the barrel stuff (though The X Factor is worth a reappraisal, I think) but when a housemate came home with Dance Of Death my ears pricked up. Great album, not the best of their 'reformation' era but aside from the cover it's hard to fault it.

Brave New World still has a couple of pub rock sounding tracks (I get the impression that these were holdovers from Dickinson's previous tenure) but is my favourite of the second Dickinson era.

That being said, The Final Frontier is my go-to album from that period, it pulled all the pieces together the best IMO.

Thergothon- Stream From the Heavens.
Sabbat- Envenom.
Varathron- His Majesty At The Swamp.

Quote from: Carnage on September 14, 2024, 12:04:11 PM

I'd given up on them after the '90s period, those albums are bottom of the barrel stuff (though The X Factor is worth a reappraisal, I think) but when a housemate came home with Dance Of Death my ears pricked up. Great album, not the best of their 'reformation' era but aside from the cover it's hard to fault it.

Brave New World still has a couple of pub rock sounding tracks (I get the impression that these were holdovers from Dickinson's previous tenure) but is my favourite of the second Dickinson era.

That being said, The Final Frontier is my go-to album from that period, it pulled all the pieces together the best IMO.

I'd say Death had a better seven album run than Maiden. I'm also biased in that I think the first two Maiden records are mostly shite. I'd say they only have two stone cold classics as well - Powerslave and Seventh Son. The rest all have filler.

I'd like AMoLaD better than BNW of it wasn't so chock with noodly intros/outros, because of that I'd give BNW the nod.

Ulcerate - Stare Into Death And Be Still 8.5/10
Getting more into this band these days having gave them a wide berth before, that dissonant melancholy and crushing heaviness is good for closing the eyes to. There's a bit more to get your teeth into on this one than the latest I think.

Desultory - Counting Our Scars 8/10
Excellent comeback album from 2010, melodic Death Metal that never loses the all important aggression factor these Swedes went completely under the radar for me for years but they really deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those early Gothenburg bands.

Father Befouled - Immaculate Pain EP 7/10
New release from FB, three new tracks ,two covers including a good effort at Pain Divine. I spent a thoroughly unpleasant hour with this in the wee hours last night, in a good way of course.

Konkhra - Weed Out The Weak 6.5/10
Where the two remaining members recruited James Murphy and Chris Kontos resulting in this melting pot of an album that veers from Death Metal to Groove to Chaos AD worship while remaining pleasingly abrasive throughout

Abbath - Dreadreaver 6/10
The big man channels all those Mayhem, Manowar, Bathory and Motorhead influences and comes up with a decent but not very exciting album.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Macabre - Dahmer

Kneecap - Fine Art

I reckon Brave New World is as essential as the 80s stuff. I love it. The rest of of the post Blaze Bruce stuff has some amazing songs here and there but nothing I think is really up there as a start to finish banger.

Quote from: Ducky on September 15, 2024, 12:01:51 AM

I'd say Death had a better seven album run than Maiden. I'm also biased in that I think the first two Maiden records are mostly shite. I'd say they only have two stone cold classics as well - Powerslave and Seventh Son. The rest all have filler.

I'd like AMoLaD better than BNW of it wasn't so chock with noodly intros/outros, because of that I'd give BNW the nod.

I'd rank Killers in last place of the first 7 but to say the debut is shite is crazy.