I vividly remember myself and my brother trying to persuade the oul lad to buy us Killers and Live After Death on tape in Zhivago. He wasn't impressed by the content. "Murders in the Rue Morgue? What's wrong with these daft bastards?".  :laugh:

We were very disappointed with Killers when we threw it on, but it grew on us and I'd still put it in their top 5. It's still my brother's favourite Maiden album.

NP Integrity - Humanity is the Devil
Integrity - Systems Overload

Mighty stuff, but I could do without the 10 minute long spoken word/noise tracks.

It was similar enough with me, had heard a few of the big Bruce songs, Trooper, NOTB, FOTD...found the debut and Killers in HMV one day, didn't have a fucking clue what was going on when Dianno started singing!

I've warmed to them more over the years, but they'll never be what I reach for when I'm in the mood for Maiden

Manowar - Into Glory Ride Imperial Edition cd, possibly my favourite album of all time, somehow I missed this release completely
til recently so picked her up..its actually a decent remix/remaster.. thank christ they didnt re-record it like they did Battle Hymns and just totally fckin butcher it

Quote from: londonleatherboy on September 17, 2024, 05:00:27 PMManowar - Into Glory Ride possibly my favourite album of all time,

Pretty sure I've espoused that sentiment before, ..like everytime I have it on  :abbath:
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

The Number of the Beast. My copy seems to be the 1998 remaster that includes Total Eclipse just before Hallowed.

Crazy to think of the album without it, it's one of the best songs on it. "Gone are the days when man looked down" :abbath:

I was delighted when the 2015 remaster omitted it, it just sounds out of place to me. It's a decent song, just not part of the album I grew up with. See also: Sanctuary on the debut (though I've never liked that song) and Twilight Zone on Killers.

#14346 September 18, 2024, 07:37:35 AM Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 08:01:42 AM by Anvil
Death Angel - The Art of Dying (listened to this a lot when it was first released, but not revisited in a while. Thanks for the reminder, Thorn. A few dud tracks (The Devil Incarnate being the worse offender) but overall a really solid effort).
Mace 'N' Chain - Among Ancient Pillars (No Remorse release a lot of good stuff)
Bulldozer - lX (Shame the gigs are cancelled, would have been an interesting show).
Flamekeeper - Flamekeeper
Old Man's Child - The Pagan Prosperity
Lunar Shadow - Far From Light (killer album)

Quote from: Carnage on September 17, 2024, 10:59:10 PMI was delighted when the 2015 remaster omitted it, it just sounds out of place to me. It's a decent song, just not part of the album I grew up with. See also: Sanctuary on the debut (though I've never liked that song) and Twilight Zone on Killers.

I've the opposite experience as that's the version of the album I grew up with, and going straight from Gangland to Hallowed feels weird.

Didn't realise Sanctuary (shite song for sure) and Twilight Zone on the other two weren't originally on them either!  ??? Thankfully I had my brother in law's old (pre-1998 reissues) Powerslave and Seventh Son cassettes as my first two albums, so know those are the proper track listings at least :laugh:

Sanctuary is a shite song?? I missed that memo  ???

Brutal Truth - Extreme Conditions Demand Extreme Responses

The missus gave me her old stereo to use in the shed, so I finally got to listen to this cassette through speakers for the first time in years. Headphones are grand, but there's nothing like feeling the blast of visceral grind or death metal through proper speakers.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 18, 2024, 08:33:51 AMSanctuary is a shite song?? I missed that memo  ???

I enjoy Sandoval's drumming more than the entirety of the first two Maiden albums :laugh:

On a related note, I was in town this morning and en route decided to listen to Seventh Son. Whatever bizarre-o rip I have of it, it sounds like shite compared to all the other Maiden albums I have. So I figured I'd duck into Golden Discs and grab the 2015 remaster (I have the 1998 one already but it's in a crate in the attic and I just cannot be arsed venturing up there), and it's out of print ???

Doubly annoying that they have pretty much their entire studio discography + a hape of live albums on the shelf, but SSoaSS is kaput.

#14351 September 18, 2024, 01:34:26 PM Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 01:37:52 PM by Carnage
Dunno where you are in the country but the last time I was in Tower in Dublin they had a few copies of most of the 2015 remasters. Both the Dawson St. one and the one above Eason's. Amazon have it anyway.

Quote from: Ducky on September 18, 2024, 01:30:25 PMDoubly annoying that they have pretty much their entire studio discography + a hape of live albums on the shelf, but SSoaSS is kaput.

That's nuts. You'd imagine that has to be a temporary thing.

Here. Sanctuary beats the bollox off The Evil that Men Do, btw. Can't hack that one, really, despite being crazy for the rest of Seventh Son.

Have a good sin. Fuck off.

Ah Jesus... The Evil That Men Do is epic. I'm flabbergasted.

Dark Tranquility - Haven
Shadows Fall - The War Within
Mastodon - Emperor Of Sand
Anciients - Beyond The Reach Of The Sun