Gjendød - Livskramper

Nidaros Black Metal

Sumac - "The Healer".

More spins of this since my last post.  Phenomenal.  Absolute chaos, controlled but always exciting, framed with the most punishing sludge.  They just sound like themselves though really, huge use of drones and space as much as whipping violent noise sections.  Might be their best yet, or at least second after "what one becomes". Worth a listen.

Quote from: Anvil on June 28, 2024, 10:28:27 AMProbably worth checking out Tyranny of Souls by old Bruce as well.  The two you mentioned and this one are great and the pick of his solo stuff.   

The new one is ok.  Probably just not as consistent across the whole album as those three.  The earlier stuff is iffy but a few gems hidden amongst the drose.  The song he did with Mr Bean is probably to be avoided.

Cheers. I'll give Tyranny of Souls a spin as well. I'll probably check out the Mr. Bean tune out of morbid curiosity.

Quote from: Count Magnus on June 28, 2024, 03:00:32 PM
Quote from: Anvil on June 28, 2024, 10:28:27 AMProbably worth checking out Tyranny of Souls by old Bruce as well.  The two you mentioned and this one are great and the pick of his solo stuff.   

The new one is ok.  Probably just not as consistent across the whole album as those three.  The earlier stuff is iffy but a few gems hidden amongst the drose.  The song he did with Mr Bean is probably to be avoided.

Cheers. I'll give Tyranny of Souls a spin as well. I'll probably check out the Mr. Bean tune out of morbid curiosity.

In fairness it is a cover version of Elected by Alice Cooper, and it was for charity, but Mr Bean annoys the fuck out of me. 

Portrait - The Host
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth

Quote from: 91/30 on June 28, 2024, 06:03:35 AMTestament - Best of.  Don't get the hype around this band at all.  I bought a 2nd hand tape of Live in Eindhoven more than 30 years.  At least 1 good track on it 'Over the Wall'.  Good musicians probably but no catchiness to their songs

Alex Skolnick is the only reason I've ever listened to more than five minutes of this band. His leads have always been in a different league to those of his peers.

They've got a few catchy enough songs here and there in their discography (DNR is mighty), but I find your man Chuck Billy to be an utterly forgettable vocalist.

Cannibal Corpse - Chaos Horrific. I've returned to this a lot since it came out, a really solid album.

#13402 June 28, 2024, 07:45:14 PM Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 09:32:08 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Danny on June 27, 2024, 08:09:31 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on June 27, 2024, 02:03:33 PMTAU CROSS - Tau Cross

I'm a big AMEBIX fan from back in the day. I kinda like some TAU CROSS too from what I've heard...but wasn't there some serious controversy rightfully over the main dude being a fuckin holocaust denier or something; causing the band or the rest of the band to quit? That would turn me off a bit. I mean how the fuck can you deny it happened. Maybe at a push you can say it was embellished just slightly by the Jews but it certainly was a fuckin unholy unforgivable atrocity no sane conscientious person should be "denying" other than to be a dickhead.

He thanked a writer called Gerard Menuhin (son of violinist Yehudi Menuhin) in the liner notes of one of the albums. Gerard Menuhin denies the holocaust. Menuhin also happens to be Jewish.

The Tau Cross albums are great though, regardless of what the guy does or doesn't believe.

Ultimately, as with Burzum, it doesn't really bother me, I enjoy the music, and I thought lyrically he had some interesting ideas, so I continue to listen to his/their stuff. What that says about me I don't know.

Although it's funny to me that some people are OK with someone like Nattefrost, despite having a song about child abuse, or suicidal black metal, or Faust killing someone, but yet Tau Cross are verboten.

N.P. - AXEGRINDER - The Rise Of The Serpent Men (1989)

Black Sabbath- Cross Purposes.
Liege Lord- Burn To My Touch.
Born For Burning- Woeful Souls demo.

Demics! – New York City, CD compilation of the 70s Canadian punk band

Quote from: The Wretch on June 28, 2024, 07:45:14 PMAlthough it's funny to me that some people are OK with someone like Nattefrost, despite having a song about child abuse, or suicidal black metal, or Faust killing someone, but yet Tau Cross are verboten. 

My favourite song ever is about someone who killed a bird and I love songs about fucking dead bodies, so don't think many of us are in a position to spin our moral compass. 

Anyway...

Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure (been an age since I listened to them but the Blood Incantation announced inspired me to give them a wee revisit)

Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Nell' Ora Blu (my initial reaction is that this is amazing - think I will be spending a long time listening to it this weekend). 

#13406 June 29, 2024, 02:02:49 PM Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 02:31:31 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: Ducky on June 28, 2024, 07:19:27 PM
Quote from: 91/30 on June 28, 2024, 06:03:35 AMTestament - Best of.  Don't get the hype around this band at all.  I bought a 2nd hand tape of Live in Eindhoven more than 30 years.  At least 1 good track on it 'Over the Wall'.  Good musicians probably but no catchiness to their songs

Alex Skolnick is the only reason I've ever listened to more than five minutes of this band. His leads have always been in a different league to those of his peers.

They've got a few catchy enough songs here and there in their discography (DNR is mighty), but I find your man Chuck Billy to be an utterly forgettable vocalist.

First few Testament albums plus The Gathering are quality. Besides which, "Best Of" albums should be verboten in metal!

Edit: More specifically, if you dig 'Over the Wall' then check out The Legacy in full. Wall to wall catchiness, if that's what you're looking for.

Palefroid    Palefroid
Ovnev        Transpiration

Spreadeagle - Spreadeagle

#13409 June 29, 2024, 09:39:28 PM Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 10:46:17 PM by Eoin McLove
In the Woods...- Isle of Men.
Therapy?- Nurse.