Quote from: The Wretch on June 08, 2024, 02:31:04 AMDEF LEPPARD - On Through The Night (1980)
DEF LEPPARD - High'N'Dry (1981)

2 classics  8)

Quote from: Jward on June 08, 2024, 08:30:57 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on June 08, 2024, 02:31:04 AMDEF LEPPARD - On Through The Night (1980)

2 classics  8)

Their absolute best for me. Pete Willis and Steve Clark were a brilliant guitar duo, it's such a shame they only had those two albums to fully show how great they really were, although Willis did play rhythm guitar on Pyromania of course.

I've always been of the opinion that they were better lead players than Phil Collen, whose reputation as a "technician" is pretty laughable IMO. Especially given many of the other players of that era. 

He is by far the weakest lead guitarist that band has had IMO. Viv Campbell could run rings around him technically, and both Willis and Clark were infinitely better when it comes to vibrato, phrasing etc.

Which is not to say Collen hasn't laid down some very memorable solos, and he obviously suited the overall guitar orchestration approach on Hysteria,  but when Joe Elliott describes him as the shredder, and even more absurdly, calls Clark their Johnny Thunders it boils my piss.

It is just conjecture on my part, but I think Steve's diminishing role as a lead player in his own band, aside from being a shame from a musical perspective, probably added to his issues.     

#13157 June 08, 2024, 09:48:13 PM Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 09:50:01 PM by jobrok1

Quote from: Jward on June 08, 2024, 08:29:24 PMBlack Sabbath - Mob Rules

An album I hardly know
This is probably my 2nd or 3rd listen, ever
Now onto ...
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Good Man, Wardy Lad!
Get stuck into non-Ozzy Sabs.
Different animals altogether, but worth exploring.

H&H is the better of the two albums, in my opinion. But Dehumanizer blows them both out of the water.

Quote from: jobrok1 on June 08, 2024, 09:48:13 PMGood Man, Wardy Lad!
Get stuck into non-Ozzy Sabs.
Different animals altogether, but worth exploring.

H&H is the better of the two albums, in my opinion. But Dehumanizer blows them both out of the water.

H&H is a much better album

Jaysus, must give Dehumanizer a lash!

Deep Purple - Machine Head (class album)
Uncle Acid – The Night Creeper (we're back to Ozzy worship!  :laugh:)

Quote from: The Wretch on June 08, 2024, 08:42:18 PM

2 classics  8)

Their absolute best for me. Pete Willis and Steve Clark were a brilliant guitar duo, it's such a shame they only had those two albums to fully show how great they really were, although Willis did play rhythm guitar on Pyromania of course.

I've always been of the opinion that they were better lead players than Phil Collen, whose reputation as a "technician" is pretty laughable IMO. Especially given many of the other players of that era. 

He is by far the weakest lead guitarist that band has had IMO. Viv Campbell could run rings around him technically, and both Willis and Clark were infinitely better when it comes to vibrato, phrasing etc.

Which is not to say Collen hasn't laid down some very memorable solos, and he obviously suited the overall guitar orchestration approach on Hysteria,  but when Joe Elliott describes him as the shredder, and even more absurdly, calls Clark their Johnny Thunders it boils my piss.

It is just conjecture on my part, but I think Steve's diminishing role as a lead player in his own band, aside from being a shame from a musical perspective, probably added to his issues.   

Great commentary/insight
Willis & Clark were great together - just that almost abrasive/harsh metal-attack about their play; aggressive, youthful energy
And catchy as fck

Destroyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves

2 classics  8)

Does Joe Elliott sing on the early albums? I find his voice incredibly irritating these days and that's putting me off checking out the early stuff despite knowing that people rate it highly.

#13162 June 09, 2024, 01:20:10 AM Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 01:23:06 AM by The Wretch
Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 09, 2024, 12:46:10 AM

2 classics  8)

Does Joe Elliott sing on the early albums? I find his voice incredibly irritating these days and that's putting me off checking out the early stuff despite knowing that people rate it highly.

Yeah, he sings on them. He has never been a spectacular singer to be honest (although I don't think he was awful or anything, just a bit limited, and sometimes screechy) but the songs more than make up for any shortcomings.

#13163 June 09, 2024, 01:51:44 AM Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 02:14:41 AM by Eoin McLove
His voice is so affected, on the 80s hits at least, he sounds like he is trying to mimic a 15 year old girl with a new set of train tracks. His voice is so forced sounding I can't listen to him any more.

Poooah soooim sugaaa oooan muayyyyy!

Edit. I just fired on the wife's copy of Hysteria for the craic. No doubt that the songs are superbly catchy but that voice... Shoot me in the fuckin head.

Side A was tolerable. Side B was hard work.

Time to cleanse the earballs avec...

Blood or Whiskey- Cashed Out On Culture.

Slayer- Diabolus in Musica,released 26 years ago today.A fairly divisive album,some good tunes on there imo.

I describe Def Leppard as the worst band I genuinely like. That said, Joe Elliot is very far from being the worst singer I genuinely like  :laugh:

Evilfeast – Elegies Of The Stellar Wind

Started on Side D, working backwards

'Inclinata Resurgit... Rebirth Of My Noble Dark Kingdom' would sound even more immense/majestic on a church organ with a wall of Marshalls  8)

... and pissing out of the Heavens

Abaddon Incarnate- The Last Supper. I only noticed while listening to this now how ropey the blasting is. It loses momentum and often turns into a roll. BUT!!! I think that might be a massive part of what makes this album so unhinged sounding. The band are playing out of their skin- literally playing too fast to keep up with themselves which really heightens the sense of chaos. Those imperfections give The Last Supper a similar quality to the perfectly ropey early releases of Sodom, Destruction and Kreator. I never made that association before now.

Thou - Umbilical
This is pretty fuckin gnarly. Any recommendations for other bands making decent sludge these days? Have been back listening to Iron Monkey, Grief, Burning Witch, Meth Drinker etc of late but lost interest in the scene around 10 years ago so I've surely missed loads