Quote from: The Wretch on June 08, 2024, 08:42:18 PM
Quote from: Jward on June 08, 2024, 08:30:57 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on June 08, 2024, 02:31:04 AMDEF LEPPARD - On Through The Night (1980)
DEF LEPPARD - High'N'Dry (1981)

2 classics  8)

Their absolute best for me. Pete Willis and Steve Clark were a brilliant guitar duo, it's such a shame they only had those two albums to fully show how great they really were, although Willis did play rhythm guitar on Pyromania of course.

I've always been of the opinion that they were better lead players than Phil Collen, whose reputation as a "technician" is pretty laughable IMO. Especially given many of the other players of that era. 

He is by far the weakest lead guitarist that band has had IMO. Viv Campbell could run rings around him technically, and both Willis and Clark were infinitely better when it comes to vibrato, phrasing etc.

Which is not to say Collen hasn't laid down some very memorable solos, and he obviously suited the overall guitar orchestration approach on Hysteria,  but when Joe Elliott describes him as the shredder, and even more absurdly, calls Clark their Johnny Thunders it boils my piss.

It is just conjecture on my part, but I think Steve's diminishing role as a lead player in his own band, aside from being a shame from a musical perspective, probably added to his issues.     

Could never get into the Lep. Not sure why as I love 80s cheese, glam metal, and the whole MTV era in general, but there was just something about Def Leppard in general that really bothered me and I could never quite put my finger on it. Something to do with Joe Elliott maybe. Also something about their Britishness that feels like a clash with hair metal? That said, I'm off tomorrow and I'll be having a drink at home later so I'll fire them on for another go.

Adzalaan - Into Vermilion Mirrors

Serum Dreg - Lustful Vengeance

Uskumgallu - Rotten Limbs in Dreams of Blood

Black Curse - Endless Wound

Mortal Decay - Forensic
Necrotic Disgorgement - Documentaries of Dementia

Can't go wrong with song titles like Icepick Ear Sodomy.

Quote from: Carnage on June 07, 2024, 12:21:08 PM
Quote from: Wilbur Whateley on June 07, 2024, 09:29:05 AM
Quote from: Carnage on June 07, 2024, 12:32:58 AMMonoliths And Dimensions scared my dog out of the room the first time I put it on.

I'd leave the room too if someone put on a fucking Sunn O))) album.

Still pissed off about the time I bought The Grimmrobe Demos after hearing how amazing they supposedly are. It's like listening to drugged whale mating calls over a malfunctioning MRI scan.

:laugh:  That was my initial impression too but they grew on me, they have some great stuff.

They wrote a riff or two for Black One, but the rest of the stuff I've heard sounds like a possessed vacuum cleaner trapped in walrus purgatory.

Marduk - La Grande Danse Macabre
MegatonSword - Might & Power
Flamekeeper - We Who Light The Fire
Ecclesia - Ecclesia Militans (this has really grown on me).
Reversed - Wildly Possessed

Quote from: Mooncat on June 09, 2024, 08:19:25 PMCould never get into the Lep. Not sure why as I love 80s cheese, glam metal, and the whole MTV era in general, but there was just something about Def Leppard in general that really bothered me and I could never quite put my finger on it. Something to do with Joe Elliott maybe. Also something about their Britishness that feels like a clash with hair metal? That said, I'm off tomorrow and I'll be having a drink at home later so I'll fire them on for another go.

The debut isn't hair metal by any means though, just classic NWOBHM/Heavy rock. And the second one is more like AC/DC with touches of Lizzy and UFO. Like I said, to me those are their best, much so than the more popular tracks from Hysteria, or even Pyromania. Although they certainly have their moments too. But I can definitely see why Elliott puts people off. 

N.P. - DANZIG - Lucifuge (1990)

Slayer - Decade of Aggression.  Among the 1st CDs I bought back in 91

Same. I think Nevermind was the first CD I bought, then Decade Of Aggression, FNM Live At Brixton, Appetite For Destruction and the first Mr. Bungle. Mad the things you remember.

Engulfed - Unearthly Litanies Of Despair. This is only alright. Not brilliant, not shit. Probably going to gather dust.

Torture Rack - Primeval Onslaught.

Stampin Ground - An Expression Of Repressed Violence. Worth it for the first track alone.

Satyricon - Rebel Extravaganza. Brilliant bit still a harsh listen.

Quote from: Carnage on June 10, 2024, 01:00:51 PMSame. I think Nevermind was the first CD I bought, then Decade Of Aggression, FNM Live At Brixton, Appetite For Destruction and the first Mr. Bungle. Mad the things you remember.

Also the FNM Brixton VHS 'You Fat Bastards' , Pantera 'Vulgar Video', Metallica VHS 'Cliff em All'.

Krvna - Long Forgotten Relic

Interitus - Der Traum von menschenleerer Schönheit

On the death decks today

My Dying Bride - A Mortal Winding
Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Ninja
Rory Gallagher - Rory Gallagher
Riot - ThunderSteel
Flamekeeper - Flamekeeper
Black Moth - Anatomical Venus
Thus Defiled - Daemonspawn

Quote from: Anvil on June 11, 2024, 09:22:18 AMMy Dying Bride - A Mortal Winding
Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Ninja
Rory Gallagher - Rory Gallagher
Riot - ThunderSteel
Flamekeeper - Flamekeeper
Black Moth - Anatomical Venus
Thus Defiled - Daemonspawn

Surprised at how good (old and heavy) the guitar tone is on that new MDB.