Mastodon - Crack The Skye

Leviathan for the riffs, this one for their demented prog peak.

The Smashing Pumpkins - Machina 2

Forgot I had this lying around on an old hard drive (for the benefit of those who don't know - there were only 25 complies of it pressed to vinyl and then distributed to some radio DJs, friends of the band and prominent fan club members with orders to rip and freely distributed it as a "fuck you" to their record label when they wouldn't release it) and it's honestly got some killer songs on it (the first three LP songs are pretty blasting) and has some demented/fantastic drumming from Chamberlain.

No Spill Blood - Street Meat.

Grooooooovy.

Busy morning...

Megaton Sword- Niralet
Shores of Ladon- Eindringling
Dødheimsgard- Satanic Art
Bacterium- Sunt Lacrymae Rerum
Svartsyn- Aandens Melankoli
Ved Buens Ende- Written in Waters
Celtic Frost- To Mega Therion

#1234 February 29, 2020, 06:56:27 AM Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 06:58:18 AM by Eoin McLove
Hecate Enthroned- 'The Slaughter of Innocence,  A Requiem for the Mighty'.

I used to listen to this a lot when it came out but I can't remember the last time I put it on. Amazing how familiar it actually sounds to me now. My interest in BM back then was limited to a handful of bands so I very much had a singular idea about what it was, or could and should be- screechy, vampiric, poetic, pompous... a bit frilly, haha.

I have 'Dusk... And her Embrace' lined up next.  Might have to go with 'The Pagan Prosperity', 'In the Nightside Eclipse' and 'Starside' from there. I maybe had another couple of albums back then that I only later found out belonged to the black metal world- 'Ceremony of Opposites' springs to mind. Ah, the good old innocent 90s.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on February 29, 2020, 06:56:27 AM
Hecate Enthroned- 'The Slaughter of Innocence,  A Requiem for the Mighty'.

I used to listen to this a lot when it came out but I can't remember the last time I put it on. Amazing how familiar it actually sounds to me now. My interest in BM back then was limited to a handful of bands so I very much had a singular idea about what it was, or could and should be- screechy, vampiric, poetic, pompous... a bit frilly, haha.

I have 'Dusk... And her Embrace' lined up next.  Might have to go with 'The Pagan Prosperity', 'In the Nightside Eclipse' and 'Starside' from there. I maybe had another couple of albums back then that I only later found out belonged to the black metal world- 'Ceremony of Opposites' springs to mind. Ah, the good old innocent 90s.

I'm with you there. My taste in Black Metal has evolved glacially over the years but I still have much respect for 90's BM.

Yes Hecate Enthroned were seen as a poor man's Cradle but their debut is excellent. I also have a certain fondness for early Enthroned.

"Vempire", "Storm of the Light's Bane", "Battles in the North", "Nemesis Divina" and "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk" all had a massive influence on me as a teenager.

Soundgarden - Live From The Artist's Den

I picked this up yesterday. On first listen it sounds like a good representation of them live. Good stuff.

Amazing performance by these guys.

Blood Incantation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwG38jaOL5Y

Living Gate, new DM band with members of Yob, Amenra, Wiegedood and Oathbreaker, some tasty riffs going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvitk5L1CzQ

Off the back of Urban Assault 2020, Sacrilegia - The Triclavian Advent. Ripping stuff.

Found the new order by testament on cd in a charity shop for a euro yesterday so have that on in the car. Ironic enough considering they're playing here Wednesday  :laugh:

Looking forward to that gig. The New Order is great. Going to listen to it later.

Quote from: Don Gately on March 02, 2020, 11:05:59 AM
Looking forward to that gig. The New Order is great. Going to listen to it later.

Some good songs but a lot of filler to these ears. I wouldn't be the biggest Testament fan though-last time I saw them was 14 years ago at Bloodstock and thought they were bland enough live. More looking forward to exodus on Wednesday.

#1244 March 02, 2020, 05:47:45 PM Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:02:58 PM by Eoin McLove
Unholy- 'The Second Ring of Power'. Got the DLP edition in the post today and I am giving it its first spin. It sounds mighty.  Another album I've only ever given a cursory listen to here and there online.  The sound is incredible. So many layers of nuttiness but all so clear, with each element adding to the overall atmosphere. I have 'From the Shadows' which I like but it's easy to hear why this is considered their seminal album as it takes the ideas they were aiming for on the debut and really nails them. I also have 'Gracefallen' which I have hardly listened to but it didn't grab me at all.  Might fire it in the car and see if it clicks.

Edit. The guitar or vocals have a cool flanger/ phaser/ chorus effect going on in places which exactly fits the sort of mood I'm in lately  8)