The only Judas Iscariot album I have is Heaven in Flames and I think it is a decent album. Definitely a band I need to listen to more.

Quote from: Vlad III on February 21, 2024, 10:21:43 AMJudas Iscariot - Dethroned, Conquered and Forgotten
Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm

On a USBM buzz recently, I'm currently reading USBM: A Revolution of Identity in American Black Metal by Daniel Lake.

Never listened to Judas Iscariot before, I'd always heard they were shite. The Dethroned EP is formulaic but far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
Plenty of amazing USBM Cobalt, WITTR, Nachtmystium, Leviathan and Weakling are all great. Thantifaxath are probably the best thing from North America though

Hannes Grossmann - "Echoes of Eternity" EP.

What an odd release. It's five songs, written in the style of bands that he's played in that have had an impact on where he is as a musician today.

Three tracks are reminiscent of Necrophobic's Epitaph, the opening one in particular sounds like an alternative version of Stabwound.

The title track is supposed to be a nod to Obscura's Omnivium. I don't hear it as much as the Epitaph songs.

The the other track is supposed to resemble Blotted Science and is the best thing on the EP, as it does so admirably and has Fountainhead's batshit lead playing on it.

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on February 21, 2024, 06:25:54 PM
Quote from: Vlad III on February 21, 2024, 10:21:43 AMJudas Iscariot - Dethroned, Conquered and Forgotten

On a USBM buzz recently, I'm currently reading USBM: A Revolution of Identity in American Black Metal by Daniel Lake.

Never listened to Judas Iscariot before, I'd always heard they were shite. The Dethroned EP is formulaic but far more enjoyable than I thought it would be.
Plenty of amazing USBM Cobalt, WITTR, Nachtmystium, Leviathan and Weakling are all great. Thantifaxath are probably the best thing from North America though

Weakling are great. Deas as Dreams was one of the first albums I ever downloaded. I prefer the harsher stuff like Profanatica and Demoncy to WITTR.

Listening to Wanderings by I Shalt Become which sounds like a precursor to the one man depressive black metal style. In other words it's like a shitty Burzum.

Saxorior - Saksen (another band I have a soft spot for, really need to dig out my copies of their early albums and give them a spin).
Necrophobic - Hrimthursum
Dismember - The Complete Demos
Metalucifer - Heavy Metal Drill
Ihsahn - Ihsahn

Reading the same book too. Definitely educational.

Morbid Angel - Altars, Blessed, Covenant, Formulas
Immolation - Atonement, Close To A World Below

Quote from: hellfire on February 22, 2024, 12:20:41 PM

Reading the same book too. Definitely educational.

I wouldn't be into some of the bands covered but it's interesting to read about the Yankee take on black metal, especially the earlier bands like Profanatica.

Glad that Lake covered Grand Belial's Key just because most writers wouldn't even have acknowledged them. I don't think the disclaimer chapter at the beginning was necessary though.

Crowbar - Odd Fellows Rest
Crowbar - Zero and Below
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the Dead
Hate Eternal - King of all kings

Desolate Shrine - Fires of the Dying World
Excarnated Entity - Stillborn in Ash / Mass Grave Horizon
Concrete Winds - Nerve Butcherer
Angelcorpse - Exterminate
Slayer - Reign / Seasons / South
The Cult - Love
Vemod - The Deepening
Spectral Voice - Sparagmos

Killing Joke 25th Gathering. Decent live set here. Got in the mood for it after watching the documentary on Prime.

That doc is great. Some really thumping live clips in it

https://youtu.be/w58re3il7UI?si=AeegSFqe_ZdihsVc

They Came From Visions (Ukr)

Nice gear. Elements of early Primordial.

Cannibal Corpse - Vile. This is such a savage album, what a start for Corpsegrinder.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 17, 2024, 01:31:59 AM

Go on lads. I really think a lot here will love thi5.

Nearly forgot about it. Have actually been on a right good Slayer buzz other than the odd bit of this to break it up. Mostly it has been South of Heaven, Divine Intervention and Diabolous in Musica and fuck me are they three fuckin class albums

Quote from: astfgyl on February 22, 2024, 07:42:22 PMKilling Joke 25th Gathering. Decent live set here. Got in the mood for it after watching the documentary on Prime.

That doc is great. Some really thumping live clips in it

Mad, that documentary turned me right off them. They sound like a right bunch of deluded gobshites, with all the 'majick' stuff. Still a fan of the music obviously, but I'd never want to cross paths with any of them in the real world.