Hexvessel- Polar Veil

Nice variety in all their albums. When We Are Death is the only one I don't like. This latest one is the biggest departure which sees an overt Black Metal influence coming to play amongst the more typical woodlandy/nature themes.

I intended to see them live at Roadburn about 2012 or so but fell asleep during their set in a comfy chair at the back after a full day listening to ear shattering doom Metal and skulling pints and sucking on spliffs. Shame.

Quote from: Anvil on February 23, 2024, 09:48:24 PM
Quote from: Thorn on February 23, 2024, 06:22:46 PMIhsahn - Ihsahn 8/10
I've hit ten spins on this so I pretty much know where I am with it , loving the tunes that could have come straight off Prometheus and losing interest a bit in the more moodier pieces towards the end.

I've listened to it four or five times now.  Find the last 15 minutes of the album to be tedious and it drains a lot of life out of the album.  Bit of a shame as it is banging up to then.

Yep, that's it, the first couple of tracks set the bar high and then when he goes all aran sweater and beard strokey you're reminded that no, it really isn't Prometheus II. I do think it's a very good album all the same it's just, much like Ted's Dostoevsky, the interest wanes towards the end.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum "Of The Last Human Being"  - a very welcome return

Quote from: Grim Reality on February 23, 2024, 09:44:23 PMMotstand (Nor) LP

Real 90s Norwegian BM feel, primarily early DHG. Good oul stuff. Think it was recorded about 10 or 12 years ago but only recently seen the light of day.

Gave it a few spins last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. Must pick it up.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
Unaussprechlichen Kulten - Häxan Sabaoth
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

Era ov Dolor - From the Land of Sorrow

New Vircolac on repeat all day, really like the vocals on this, very well defined and basically you can lay back and listen without the lyrics. That's another thing, I've always liked when bands use the song titles in the song at some point, even if it's not in the chorus. Helps you keep track of where you are if you're just getting to know the album and you're a lazy fucker like me who likes to lay back and listen in the dark.
Viva la Vircolac  :abbath:
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Yup, I had it on yesterday. Looks and sounds great.

Tiamat-Sumerian Cry
Running Wild-Pile of Skulls
Sabaton-Carolus Rex
Eternal Tears of Sorrow-Chaotic Beauty
Amorphis-Queen of Time

#11816 February 25, 2024, 01:10:48 AM Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 01:53:14 AM by Carnage
Kyuss: Blues For The Red Sun - first start to finish play for probably 20 years, christ it's still fantastic.

Melvins: Melvinmania (compilation from their 3 Atlantic Records albums).

Quote from: Carnage on February 25, 2024, 01:10:48 AMKyuss: Blues For The Red Sun - first start to finish play for probably 20 years, christ it's still fantastic.

Melvins: Melvinmania (compilation from their 3 Atlantic Records albums).
Think I mentioned this recently but I came away from Golden Discs years ago with both of those as part of a 3 for €30 effort they had on (with Dark Side of the Moon) and listened to them inside out.  Great comp that Melvins one.  BFTRS goes on still very regularly too.

ISIS - Oceanic (the ultimate soundtrack to drowning)
Helmet - Betty
Infectious Grooves - Mas Borracho
Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene / Miss Machine
First Fragment - Gloire Éternelle

Now playing:

BLOCKHEADS (Fra) Haaashaastaak Demo tape 1993

This is old school grind stuffs! The band's first release from 30 years ago