OK, I have two indefensible albums:

St Anger.

That Morbid Angel thing.

Nobody will argue with those two at least

Quote from: astfgyl on December 31, 2023, 10:56:12 PMOK, I have two indefensible albums:

St Anger.

That Morbid Angel thing.

I'd include Megadeths Super Collider. Albums like Cryptic Writings and other later ones may not be to everyone's tastes but there's some quality songs on all of them. Super Collider is very much an oddity in terms of it's utter blandness. It's the only Megadeth album that I can't recall a single note of.

Quote from: Born of Fire on December 31, 2023, 11:07:26 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on December 31, 2023, 10:56:12 PMOK, I have two indefensible albums:

St Anger.

That Morbid Angel thing.

I'd include Megadeths Super Collider. Albums like Cryptic Writings and other later ones may not be to everyone's tastes but there's some quality songs on all of them. Super Collider is very much an oddity in terms of it's utter blandness. It's the only Megadeth album that I can't recall a single note of.

Never even been a fan but I remember them ripping off Children of the Grave on that one and I laughed hard at how shit it was

#63 January 01, 2024, 12:24:27 AM Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 12:28:19 AM by leatherface

Ditch the two cover versions, change the artwork to anything else, and that goes down as a decent Exodus album.
[/quote]
Quote from: Mower Liberation Front on December 31, 2023, 10:07:09 PM
Quote from: leatherface on December 31, 2023, 05:57:06 PMTitle track is great but that's about it. Referring to 'Force Of Habit'.

St Anger.

That Morbid Angel thing.

Lulu lad, Lulu. Everybody forgets about fucking Lulu.

Quote from: son of the Morrigan on January 01, 2024, 12:52:52 AM

St Anger.

That Morbid Angel thing.

Lulu lad, Lulu. Everybody forgets about fucking Lulu.

Good lord actually we have a winner

Christ on a bike!!!
Lulu...
The turd so shite it's been blocked from memory altogether.

You can close the thread now.

Quote from: Carnage on December 31, 2023, 11:52:38 AMIn Flames were always shite TBF.

I'd personally strongly disagree in consideration of Lunar Strain and The Jester Race.

As for the focus of this thread, I had tuned out well before Reroute to Remain as things had gone down hill. I've never even heard that album to be honest.

Nevertheless it was quiet a shock to see what they became by the time I saw them at Fury Fest 2005 though  :-X Geting a fan up to sing with them just summed up what a farce they had become at that stage  :'(

Lulu wasn't where 'tallica turned shit, it was a (possibly inevitable) consequence of pre-existing shitness and the seemingly endless credit they still live off which was generated by the first four... ok, five albums. I don't think it's any worse than Shit Magnet or the other turds they've laid in the last 20+ years. It's fucken terrible, absolutely, but so is everything else they're doing. Even when they play old good songs, they butcher them. They're fucking awful in everything they do. Lulu is only a small part in a much larger machine of utter shitness.

Metallica's turning to shit moment is St Anger. The preceding Loads, Black, Garage all have material of worth to be found on them. St Anger is the sound of bored millionaires desperately trying to sound relevant, everything after is pretty painful.

#70 January 01, 2024, 09:25:40 AM Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 09:27:15 AM by Danny
I'm gonna go ahead and say that's a load of bollox. 72 Seasons is a quality metal record. I don't think they care about being relevant, they hardly need the fucking money, I think they just do what they want. and what they do now is where they are at. I defend St. Anger (apart from the drum sound), Death Magnetic and Hardwired also as a die hard fan but I will of course concede that Lulu isn't great, and pretty dreadful really, but what you seem to be forgetting or choosing to ignore;- is that it's not a Metallica album. It's a fucking Lou Reed (with Metallica as his band) album, as both Lou and the band have said. So if you are not a Lou Reed fan you are not gonna be into it really are you?

So as such it's entirely illogical to be holding it up and comparing it to fuckin Master Of Puppets or whatever is it not? It would be better judged as part of Mr. Reed's discography. Metallica are my favorite band. I don't know any of Lou Reed's music other than vaguely liking the songs Walk On The Wild Side and Perfect Day (remember it from Trainspotting). and The Velvet Underground I just don't get whatsoever (I think you need to be on heroin). But I imagine if you are a big Lou Reed fan as well as a casual Metal/Metallica fan; I don't see why the hell you wouldn't enjoy it?

I tried a fair few times to get into it, but I just don't really like it, Lou's vocal style is really weird as are his lyrics and he just grates on me. I will say though, I do really like one track, and it would be the only song from it I would go back to (though I skip about 3 minutes into it to where it gets going) the riffing in "Dragon" is clearly the highlight of the whole record for a metal fan. I wish Metallica had have kept and used that in one of their own songs. Also I think it shows they really don't give a fuck if you like the album or them or not, because I highly doubt they thought it was going to go down well with most metalheads. In fact I'm sure they knew most people would likely hate it, and you have to kind of admire that I think.

Re-Load is the point where things went awry for Metallica.
First release where there was nothing new in the songwriting or production.
Regardless of whether it's liked or not that's when alarm bells should have being ringing.
Shit or not St Anger was then trying miserably to reinvent themselves and put fire back into the machine.

When Emperor released Prometheus I felt like the wheels were off and on fire in a ditch.
Just because they had all those ideas didn't mean we had to hear them all.

The wheels never came off with Emperor,I get people only like their early stuff,but everything theyve done has been of a high standard.

Metallica have been fucked since they went down the "'tallica family" route...whatever the fuck that is meant to be..also don't change your band logo then back again..