QuoteI don't think they care about being relevant

Wrong. Have you ever seen Some kind of monster? Such a deeply insecure collection of individuals, Newsted was the only one with integrity. A band that forgot what brought them together in the first place. Or how to write a tune for that matter, even the way they construct songs is mind boggling considering their back catalogue.

Quote from: Paul keohane on January 01, 2024, 10:31:44 AMThe wheels never came off with Emperor,I get people only like their early stuff,but everything theyve done has been of a high standard.
Quote from: ochoill on January 01, 2024, 10:17:02 AMPrometheus is lethal Ah jaysus
Quote from: Paul keohane on January 01, 2024, 10:31:44 AMThe wheels never came off with Emperor,I get people only like their early stuff,but everything theyve done has been of a high standard.
[/quote

If it was released after Mightside it would have been ripped apart.
It didn't hit like the rest and there was no bite to it.

Prometheus, Arise, King for a Day are all my favourites of those bands

I've always rated Prometheus,the run from Anthemms through to Prometheus is brilliant imo.

The obvious one for me is from right here in Ireland.

Primordial were absolutely lethal and genre defining up to and including To The Nameless Dead.

From Redemption onwards its all pain. I cannot make it through any album since. Shame.

I think Metallicas Black Album is fucking shite. Woeful. Big production but heaps of terrible forgettable songs with no riffs. There's 3/4 of the main songs that are half ok in a sort of metal pub, full of pints, way. But the filler on that album is criminal.

Quote from: Trev on January 01, 2024, 04:58:36 PMPrometheus, Arise, King for a Day are all my favourites of those bands

Same mostly. Angel Dust is in a constant scrap with kfad for supremacy. Prometheus is my favourite Emperor album by some distance

Death is Not Dead.
I know The Crown had been treading water since they reformed, but fucking hell, that album was just a lifeless sack of shit. Still amazed they followed it with Cobra Speed Venom.

Quote from: Grim Reality on January 01, 2024, 06:44:47 PMThe obvious one for me is from right here in Ireland.

Primordial were absolutely lethal and genre defining up to and including To The Nameless Dead.

From Redemption onwards its all pain. I cannot make it through any album since. Shame.

I think Metallicas Black Album is fucking shite. Woeful. Big production but heaps of terrible forgettable songs with no riffs. There's 3/4 of the main songs that are half ok in a sort of metal pub, full of pints, way. But the filler on that album is criminal.

The Black album is full of riffs!

Cynic - Kindly Bent to Free Us.

Masvidal went full on twee alien-lover with this, and it reinforces the idea to me that Traced in Air was a fluke (or that Tymon from Exivous had a whole lot more input into it than is let on).

Set The World On Fire was the end of Annihilator. Great title track but the rest of it is absolute guff. The two preceeding albums are stone cold classics though.

I posted much if this in the 'controversial opinions' thread, so sorry for double posting. But.....

Lulu was not a Lou Reed album with Metallica as his backing band.
It is a collaboration album between both and was marketed as such from the start of its tragic inception.
Reed wrote all the lyrics, but the band were 100% involved in the music with Reed.

And if anyone thinks for one second that it was Lou Reed's idea to seek out Metallica for the collaboration, then they are truly deluded.
I have no doubt in my mind that the whole debacle was a pathetic brain fart from either Ulrich or Hetfield.

Quote from: leatherface on December 30, 2023, 08:30:52 PMIron Maiden- No Prayer For The Dying

Metallica- Black Album (hated it then, still hasn't convinced me)
Ah, I'd say St Anger over the Black Album man. There is nothing good about it. At least you could agree the sound and production on Black are outstanding if you don't like the songs.

Quote from: jobrok1 on January 02, 2024, 09:44:46 AMI posted much if this in the 'controversial opinions' thread, so sorry for double posting. But.....

Lulu was not a Lou Reed album with Metallica as his backing band.
It is a collaboration album between both and was marketed as such from the start of its tragic inception.
Reed wrote all the lyrics, but the band were 100% involved in the music with Reed.

And if anyone thinks for one second that it was Lou Reed's idea to seek out Metallica for the collaboration, then they are truly deluded.
I have no doubt in my mind that the whole debacle was a pathetic brain fart from either Ulrich or Hetfield.
they made Reed sound shit ha ha

Load and Reload may have had some okay songs, but anyone defending Metallica's output after that is deluded. At least Slayer managed to release some decent albums after their Diabolus abortion, Metallica can't even manage to write a half-decent tune.

Speaking of bands that managed to recapture some of their magic after going to shit, I think The Stench of Redemption was a great release from Deicide after some very poor albums.