Actually fell asleep writing a post about Ministry in this thread last night :laugh: but everything up to and including Animositisomina is unreal, the second Paul Barker left they went to complete shit bar a couple of songs off Rio Grande Blood.

Also FNM's best three albums are Angel Dust, King For A Day, and Album Of The Year.  They are all lethal though, not a bad album in the band, but those three are peak for me.

Ah lad. If AOTY was a puppy the humane thing to do would be put it in a bag and fuck it in the river.

Ah no, Album of the Year is great. Sol Invictus is the stinker for me. By far their worst effort.

Just thinking about it when The More Things Change got mentioned, I think it's fair to say that 1996/1997 is where it all went to shit in general. It took another 5 or 6 years for things to come back around.

Quote from: astfgyl on December 31, 2023, 02:24:02 PMAh no, Album of the Year is great. Sol Invictus is the stinker for me. By far their worst effort.

This. Sol Invictus sounds like most of Patton's other projects, not very good.

I'd have to agree with the Black album not having a place in this thread. They are well crafted songs and nothing was left to chance on the production side. Not liking the direction they took is different argument.

I'd put Sol Invictus in a pointless comeback thread. Same with the last Soundgarden album. That's another thread altogether though.

Quote from: astfgyl on December 31, 2023, 02:24:02 PMAh no, Album of the Year is great. Sol Invictus is the stinker for me. By far their worst effort.

I'd agree, I was delighted with Sol Invictus when it came out but it hasn't held up well - there are some great songs on there (Matador in particular) but it also has some of their absolute worst. Actually Black Friday might be the single worst FNM song. AOTY has some filler but I think the problem is a lot of the songs feel underdeveloped, but from reading the book a while back it really does seem like that was recorded as a last gasp at the time, and their heads and hearts weren't in it.

Actually here's one for the Patton fans: Tomahawk's "Anonymous" was the album where has magic touch vanished. None of his more rock related stuff since has been much use, with the notable exception of Dead Cross.

That Soundgarden comeback was an absolute crock of shit besides "Bones of Birds"

#52 December 31, 2023, 04:40:21 PM Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 04:42:27 PM by ochoill
Quote from: Pentagrimes on December 31, 2023, 11:34:59 AMHOWEVER, maybe you;re right in so far as it's not the point where everything went to shit for them. That'll actually be Chaos AD, an album I hate so much i'd blocked it out of my memory last night when I posted about Arise  :laugh:
Just in for my yearly scolding off everyone here, Chaos AD is my favourite Seps album, closely followed by Arise.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on December 31, 2023, 04:25:45 PMActually here's one for the Patton fans: Tomahawk's "Anonymous" was the album where has magic touch vanished. None of his more rock related stuff since has been much use, with the notable exception of Dead Cross.
Oddfellows is class but in general, with his rock related stuff yeah, I think I agree with this.  I do love a huge amount of what he gets up to really though but don't have a lot of patience for the soundtracks and scores he has done.

Oh on thread topic, Enslaved - "Vertebrae" is the start of them falling off altogether, it's a fine album on its own but nowhere near as good as anything that comes before it and everything after is worth maybe one listen then abandoned to the iceberg of music forever.

I am guilty of including the Black Album here so apologies there  :D , but it was a turning point as someone said above, not a good one mind you. I can fully understand it's popularity though.

Back on track:

Forbidden: Anything after the first two albums, not good writing /production

Exodus: Force of Habit (not good)

Thornography by COF springs to mind. Everything on that album is dreadful: Dani's voice is fucked, the keyboards are basically not there and the riffs are simplistic thrashy shite. It has no redeeming features.

The Black Album is definitely getting a fair knocking here.
But as regards the OP's original post and the thread title, the Metallica album where they totally and utterly 'Shit The Fucking Bed' has to be St. Anger!

Totally agree
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Great thread.  COC – America's Volume Dealer is some crock in comparison to what preceded.

Quote from: leatherface on December 31, 2023, 05:57:06 PMExodus: Force of Habit (not good)

Ditch the two cover versions, change the artwork to anything else, and that goes down as a decent Exodus album.

Quote from: jobrok1 on December 31, 2023, 08:02:35 PMThe Black Album is definitely getting a fair knocking here.
But as regards the OP's original post and the thread title, the Metallica album where they totally and utterly 'Shit The Fucking Bed' has to be St. Anger!

You got in ahead of me. My brother got this for me back in the day for Xmas. To this day I have never got to the end of this album. Absolute tripe imo. 4 tracks in eject.
Watched some kind of monster around then. Car crash stuff. Whole album should have been binned.