The More Things Change by Machine Head? Burn My Eyes was great in its day, though of little interest to me now. I thought the follow up was fairly shite. Funnily enough, I liked The Burning Red when it came out but I'm not sure how well it holds up now and it's a long time since I've heard it. I think the title track was very good, it had a brooding atmosphere to it, but the rest with the hippity hoppity stuff... pure Flynnery.

Decline of quality in production and songwriting is the point here!

Speaking of FNM Jim Martin had this rich, clear guitar tone that is unequalled.

Danzig after '4' (though I am still curious to hear this Elvis covers album which passed me by)

#32 December 31, 2023, 11:34:59 AM Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 11:47:30 AM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: Carnage on December 31, 2023, 12:08:11 AMArise is an objectively wrong shout, it's their peak in every respect.

I'll stand my ground on this : Beneath The Remains is their peak:it's brimming with ideas and energy, totally explosive record, and more importantly it's consistent in the quality of songs. It was downhill from there in stages, Arise sounds like a watered down version of BTR to me, no where near as memorable or engaging. I was disappointed with it when it came out, and I've grown to straight up loathe it over the years once.

HOWEVER, maybe you;re right in so far as it's not the point where everything went to shit for them. That'll actually be Chaos AD, an album I hate so much i'd blocked it out of my memory last night when I posted about Arise  :laugh:

100% on Danzig after "4". But in fairness, what an album for that line up to go out on.

which reminds me...Prong after "Beg To Differ" which in itself has some highlights, but isn't exactly a classic. The whole groove metal thing they went down after that is fucking continually atrocious. Kinda mad they've pretty much buried "Primitive Origins" and "Force Fed"

I see what you're saying, but for me Arise just refined the ideas on BTR and was a more streamlined end result. Chaos AD was their black album, really. I like most of it but find it hard to listen to these days.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 31, 2023, 11:16:58 AMThe More Things Change by Machine Head? Burn My Eyes was great in its day, though of little interest to me now. I thought the follow up was fairly shite. Funnily enough, I liked The Burning Red when it came out but I'm not sure how well it holds up now and it's a long time since I've heard it. I think the title track was very good, it had a brooding atmosphere to it, but the rest with the hippity hoppity stuff... pure Flynnery.

The Burning Red doesn't hold up well, a couple of decent songs alright but regardless - it's like Powerslave compared to Supercharger.

I'd disagree with The More Things Change, I reckon as an album it's better than Burn My Eyes (though that had a few better individual tracks than anything on TMTC), it just flows better, more consistent. Great production from Richardson as usual, crystal clear. It's my go-to Machine Head album these days.

Don't think I have even listened to anything In Flames did after Reroute to Remain. Utter bollocks. 

Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 31, 2023, 11:16:58 AMThe More Things Change by Machine Head? Burn My Eyes was great in its day, though of little interest to me now. I thought the follow up was fairly shite. Funnily enough, I liked The Burning Red when it came out but I'm not sure how well it holds up now and it's a long time since I've heard it. I think the title track was very good, it had a brooding atmosphere to it, but the rest with the hippity hoppity stuff... pure Flynnery.

This is something I'd agree with. The More Things Change sits alongside Roots for when it seemed cooler to focus on feedback and being out of tune over riffs and actual songs. It was a horrible time for mainstream metal where ability and melody were seen as bad things.

Paradise Lost One Second..not a bad album..but one which derailed everything. Draconian Times should have been the springboard to greater things...

White Zombie Astro Creep 2000..should have been the springboard once again..

Ministry Filth Pig...a let down after psalm 69 and pretty much everything since else has been shite..

While they have had their moments Queens Of The Stone Age debut album was their masterpiece, everything since has been patchy as fuck, although it didn't stop them getting huge so what do I know..

Always thought the first three Arch Enemy albums were great, then Johan Liiva left and they really went to shit. 

If the emphasis is on all, then it's not so easy. Like KFAD has fairly bad production but some absolutely amazing FNM tunes. AotY has great production but arguably not as many great tunes. But on neither did "all" turn to shit. The More Things Change on the other hand... :-X

This thread could be great if maybe half of the people posted their controversial opinions in the controversial thread instead.

You don't like the Black album? That's fair enough, but it is fucking massive and it has no place on this thread.

Seasons in the Abyss and The End Complete? Jog on lads!

Quote from: The Heretic on December 31, 2023, 12:18:52 PMParadise Lost One Second..not a bad album..but one which derailed everything. Draconian Times should have been the springboard to greater things...

Ministry Filth Pig...a let down after psalm 69 and pretty much everything since else has been shite..

While they have had their moments Queens Of The Stone Age debut album was their masterpiece, everything since has been patchy as fuck, although it didn't stop them getting huge so what do I know..

First three QOTSA are great for me, but the debut is definitely head and shoulders above the other two.

I'd agree with Filth Pig, always hated that and Dark Side - though I did like the Lay Lady Lay cover. As for subsequent releases, Houses Of The Molé is up there with Psalm 69 for me. Frontloaded maybe, but a cracker of an album. Most of the others are shite alright though.

Black album is the most obvious inclusion to this thread. It is the exact turning point.

Quote from: Carnage on December 31, 2023, 01:26:35 PM
Quote from: The Heretic on December 31, 2023, 12:18:52 PMParadise Lost One Second..not a bad album..but one which derailed everything. Draconian Times should have been the springboard to greater things...

First three QOTSA are great for me, but the debut is definitely head and shoulders above the other two.

I'd agree with Filth Pig, always hated that and Dark Side - though I did like the Lay Lady Lay cover. As for subsequent releases, Houses Of The Molé is up there with Psalm 69 for me. Frontloaded maybe, but a cracker of an album. Most of the others are shite alright though.

Disagree about Filth Pig. I love that album. Also like most of Dark Side and Animositisomina is also decent.

After that though, no thanks to any of it and I didn't even listen to the last one.

Not about turning points though...? Yes Black album was the turning point towards complete shit, but in itself it still has lots of great moments. It's not "all" shit, which is how I understood the OP.