I'd say it'd be more of a coincidence with Weinberg getting turfed out of Slipknot, I'd be surprised if they weren't fishing for Eloy, he's a huge fan of theirs.

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on December 14, 2023, 02:27:09 PM
QuoteBit of a coincidence they announce their breakup just after the Cavalera brothers released the re-recorded Morbid Visions/ Bestial Devastation isn't it?

To be honest I think it is a coincidence - really don't think Kisser and co give a fuck what those lads are doing. I'd guess maybe it's more to do with the fact Kisser's wife passed away recently enough.
Ah, right. I didn't know that.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 14, 2023, 06:21:54 AMThat is the beauty of Sepultura, they moved on with every album. Quadra definitely doesn't sound like the old lineup but, then again, it doesn't sound like Mediator, either. Each album is it's own thing and they move on. They're with, probably, only Voivod who managed to go for so long and never get stuck in a creative rut while keeping it quality. That they don't sound like the old lineup is very intentional but, to my ears at least, there's still a very definite audio signature going back to the early stuff which is theirs alone.

So which one should I give a go to next, after Quadra? Really don't know any of the Greene-era stuff. Heard tracks, tried a couple albums, but never went in.

Dante (the last to feature Igor) and A-Lex are really good. Machine Messiah is worth the effort also.

Yeah, what he said. Dante is class, quite experimental. I was a bit disappointed when they dropped the French horn and cello on the next album, I thought it was really a interesting sound they might have taken further.

Kairos is generally quite popular, it might be worth a go. I think Dante, Quadra and A-Lex are better, personally, but enough people praise it highly.

Kairos is, to my ears, the Greene era equivalent to Chaos AD. It's more straightforward than it's predecessors but has some great songs. It's major downfall is that it's a little samey.
Mask is a great song.

I'd echo the rest with Dante and Quadra being the pick of the Greene era, I'd have Machine Messiah and Kairos just slightly behind them. A-Lex was really good but took a long time to get into it, definitely more of a grower than the other stuff

Mediator wasn't too bad, but nearly felt a bit like leftovers from the other albums

Ross Robinson producing Mediator is what ruined it.

Listened to Dante and (most of) A-lex last night. Enjoyed both, possibly more than Quadra. Might rotate through all the ones recommended here over the next few days. I definitely checked out some stuff from Mediator after watching that now famous video of Marthyn Jovanovic reacting to Eloy's drumming on Manipulation of Tragedy. I don't even remember the experience, so all I can infer is that it didn't grab me!

Am I the only one who notices Greene pronouncing "R"s as "L"s?

Also, Jason Newsteads vocals on Against are hilarious

Also every time I see the thread title, I wonder which day they're calling so I can have the gaff tidied up

Quote from: astfgyl on December 15, 2023, 05:50:51 PMAlso every time I see the thread title, I wonder which day they're calling so I can have the gaff tidied up

Only copped that now  :laugh:
Fixed for you!

Thanks, that was driving me nuts!  :laugh:

Quote from: The Great Cull on December 15, 2023, 05:54:58 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on December 15, 2023, 05:50:51 PMAlso every time I see the thread title, I wonder which day they're calling so I can have the gaff tidied up

Only copped that now  :laugh:
Fixed for you!

Aah should've left it  :laugh:

Went on a bit of a Sepultura buzz since this thread went up, been going through all the albums again. Morbid/Bestial... has a crude charm but is still largely unlistenable. Scizophrenia is a massive progression. Beneath The Remains, though, is the peak of the Max stuff, still fucking monumental, closely followed by Arise. Chaos AD is half-banger, half-filler. Roots, title track aside, is a fucking chore, terrible plodding and directionless shite altogether.

Of the Greene era, Against has a lot of the problems of Roots but is listenable. Nation is not great at all. I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as bad as Roots but it's still fairly crap. Roorback is a massive step in the right direction. Dante, I just fucking love. It took a while for A-Lex to click, as it was such a departure from Dante, but when it did, yeah still rate it very highly. Kairos, not so much but it's ok. Mediator sounds like it could have been something good but it tends to go in one ear and out the other. Machine Messiah and Quadra are two parts of the same thing, in my mind. Quadra, is stronger, though the song Machine Messiah is one of the best things they ever put out, but we'll see how it ages.

As for post-Sep Max, Soulfly are/were fucking dreadful from the start, whoever thought someone could make a career regurgitating fucking Roots, quickly lost interest. I remember the first Cavalera thing with Iggor album getting a rave review on MI but it sounded fairly mediocre to me. Didn't hear the rest of the stuff under that name, I think there were another one or two albums? The only thing which he has done of interest in the last couple of decades are his "chug an early Celtic Frost riff and shout" cameos on the two Killer Be Killed albums.

May there never be a reunion!