It was when he strated trying to sing that it all turned to shit. Sneery Dave was amazing.

Agreed... more specifically a sneery, coked out of it Mustaine was amazing. He oozed attitude like very few others and his peak for that was on So Far... So Good... So What

That latter day ManOwaR uniform. The fucking Joe Lynn Turner wig really completes the look. 

Yeah, I think I grew up with his vocals so I don't find them off putting at all. I'd imagine a cold and clinical analysis wouldn't be as flattering.

I can't really imagine anyone else than Muataine on vocals at this point, but if they had a more competent singer from the beginning I reckon they might have been a bit bigger

On a similar enough point, Jeff Waters would be an amazing lead guitarist/co-songwriter for a band, but left to his own with Annihilator its mostly forgettable

Mustaine's voice is great, you wollies.

Mustaine's voice was great, he's been shit for decades. As has his band, to be fair.

Quote from: Trev on April 05, 2024, 11:11:53 PMI can't really imagine anyone else than Muataine on vocals at this point, but if they had a more competent singer from the beginning I reckon they might have been a bit bigger

On a similar enough point, Jeff Waters would be an amazing lead guitarist/co-songwriter for a band, but left to his own with Annihilator its mostly forgettable

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking.
Never really noticed it before but I was on a bit of a Megadeth buzz there for a few days after not really listening to them for a few years and it struck me that what I used to perceive as snarling vocals, seething with attitude are actually reedy, weak vocals, whining in complaint.
Its the kind of thing that once ya hear it, ya cant unhear it.
Just my opinion.

Quote from: Trev on April 05, 2024, 11:11:53 PMOn a similar enough point, Jeff Waters would be an amazing lead guitarist/co-songwriter for a band, but left to his own with Annihilator its mostly forgettable

Great point. I had Alice in Hell on last night, and it's almost the perfect thrash album. Yet as you say, their gear is mostly forgettable. Never, Neverland is passable, but the production kills it a bit, and it has the song about Kraft ready meals...

I can't remember the last time I even entertained putting on a record of their's that wasn't AiH.

I bought Never, Neverland when it came out, didn't think much of it. Never bothered with anything else, might give AIH a listen.

Quote from: Carnage on April 06, 2024, 03:56:01 PMI bought Never, Neverland when it came out, didn't think much of it. Never bothered with anything else, might give AIH a listen.
Those two are pretty much all you need, although admittedly I do like the two albums with Joe Comeau on vocals but the guitar tone on them is pure shite

#282 April 06, 2024, 04:31:43 PM Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 04:33:49 PM by The Wretch
I love 'Alice In Hell', and there are some great tunes on 'Never Neverland' 'Set The World On Fire' and 'King Of The Kill'.

I usually have a listen to their new stuff just for curiosities sake, but I haven't actually bought an album since 'Criteria For A Black Widow' which was the re-union of the 'Alice In Hell' line-up, but even that was a disappointment for the most part.

It's a shame, Waters is a great guitarist, and seems a pretty cool guy, but they never really lived up to their potential.

The first Comeau album is very good, the shite guitar tone came on the second one, probably the worst guitar tone ever recorded. Criteria is grand but is just an very blatant effort at doing AIH again. I actually prefer Never, Neverland over AIH but it's a close run thing. Coburn Pharr is a truly fucking great singer on it. That being said, the kraft song is a total abomination. Waters is his own worst enemy, he has all the skill in the world but frequently loses touch with what's good and what's not and doesn't allow anyone in to help steer him. He could've been fucking huge instead of a bit-part.

They supported Priest in the SFX on the Painkiller tour, after Never, Neverland came out. The other guitarist had quit mid-tour so Waters was doing all the guitar stuff by himself and the cunt pulled it off, he was genuinely a fucking amazing guitarist.