#300 April 11, 2024, 02:20:26 PM Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 02:25:22 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Necro Red on April 11, 2024, 01:59:14 PMthat is class! Good to hear that. Here in kilkenny there is fecking nobody into it at all. The last time I seen someone in a metal shirt it was tourist ha ha

There are a fair few bands here too. Not many of them are to my tastes admittedly, but I'm still happy to see it, as that hasn't been the case for decades, so it's good to see.

Parents and schools etc seem to be a bit more supportive of it now, and there are more places for them to practice and play.

When we started playing years ago it was a pain in the hole getting somewhere to play locally, and we used to have to practice in our drummers parent's front room, until we made a practice space in an old shed out the back of the house.     

We used to play in Kilkenny the odd time years ago, sort of a basement bar, but I'm damned if I can remember the name. I do remember there were pipes just above the stage, and our singer gave himself concussion jumping up and clocking his head on them. Fuckin eejit was always doing something daft. He got thrown out of The Hub in Dublin for wrecking the jacks when he was drunk, they threw him out without his shoes and bag onto the street. He couldn't even get through to the rest of us on the phone, we were all getting shitfaced with the other bands.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 09, 2024, 07:22:16 PM
Quote from: Ducky on April 09, 2024, 05:32:56 PM100% on board with the Kevin Moore thing. Love the albums he played on, can barely listen to anything after them (doesn't help that LaBrie blew out his vocal chords around the same time too).

Yeah. I liked 'A Change Of Seasons', most of 'Metropolis Pt 2' and a couple of things on 'Six Degrees...' but since then I find most of their stuff really dull. None of it really sticks in my head at all.   

More or less the same. There's a handful of decent songs sprinkled across their mid to late discography, but I'd still find more to enjoy in I&W, Awake, ACoS than the rest of discography combibed.

Rudess is a fucking snoozefest of a keyboard player too.

Dunno about the overall buzz, but I see the odd lad about Sligo in their early 20s wearing some metal tees.

One lad has Slowly We Rot one, another a Scream Bloody Gore. And there's another fella who I occasionally see in the local Golden Discs wearing a Carcass rain jacket (of all things!), so there's hope yet.

#303 April 11, 2024, 03:13:55 PM Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 03:16:23 PM by The Wretch
It was on this date in 1983 that Metallica, having travelled to New York to begin work on 'Kill Em All',  shitcanned Dave Mustaine, and put him on a Greyhound bus to L.A.

And it was on that journey that he wrote the lyrics that would eventually find their way into this fucking stormer of a tune.

Whatever about Metallica cutting their hair....when Kerry Kings fell out he went to shit!

:abbath:  :abbath:  :abbath:  :abbath:  :)  :)  :)

The site where Helvete used to be nearly burnt down apparently, bit of irony there....

https://loudwire.com/legendary-black-metal-site-norway-damaged-fire-helvete/

#306 April 12, 2024, 09:02:39 AM Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:04:10 AM by Thorn
Yeah it was a bit of a shrine beneath it with a lot of the stuff saved from the Helvete days, it'd be a shame if that were all gone .

Oops, just saw the thread on this
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: The Wretch on April 11, 2024, 02:20:26 PM
Quote from: Necro Red on April 11, 2024, 01:59:14 PMthat is class! Good to hear that. Here in kilkenny there is fecking nobody into it at all. The last time I seen someone in a metal shirt it was tourist ha ha

There are a fair few bands here too. Not many of them are to my tastes admittedly, but I'm still happy to see it, as that hasn't been the case for decades, so it's good to see.

Parents and schools etc seem to be a bit more supportive of it now, and there are more places for them to practice and play.

When we started playing years ago it was a pain in the hole getting somewhere to play locally, and we used to have to practice in our drummers parent's front room, until we made a practice space in an old shed out the back of the house.     

We used to play in Kilkenny the odd time years ago, sort of a basement bar, but I'm damned if I can remember the name. I do remember there were pipes just above the stage, and our singer gave himself concussion jumping up and clocking his head on them. Fuckin eejit was always doing something daft. He got thrown out of The Hub in Dublin for wrecking the jacks when he was drunk, they threw him out without his shoes and bag onto the street. He couldn't even get through to the rest of us on the phone, we were all getting shitfaced with the other bands.
that would be the Zoo xclub here in kk. It was a great spot. Is there a bit of a scene developing in Wexford at the moment?

Ah! That's it! 

There seems to be a fair few young bands popping up at the minute, aye.

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I'm disgusted and flabbergasted. I don't remember reading anything about this before, did I miss it, or was it somehow kept quiet until the trial? 

The horrible cunt. I cannot even fathom the mentality of someone who would do that to a 6 year old child. Well, to anyone, but especially when it's a literal kid.

I'm also gutted for more selfish reasons, he was one of the reasons I even picked up a bass in the first place.

Which I know means nothing compared to what the poor girl and her family have gone through, but you know what I mean, when someone has actually influenced you to play or whatever, it's a shock. You don't expect them to be saints or anything, but something like this is so vile. 

https://metalinjection.net/news/founding-saxon-bassist-steve-dawson-sentenced-to-prison-over-sexually-assaulting-a-six-year-old-girl-in-the-90s

#311 April 13, 2024, 12:30:14 AM Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 01:46:08 PM by Mithrandir

#312 April 16, 2024, 02:44:07 AM Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 02:48:29 AM by The Wretch
I've been watching a few Anthrax and Overkill live clips over the last day or two.

Aside from the more obvious tracks - Got The Time for example, ironically the song Bello uses a pick on - the Anthrax sound wasn't as affected as I would have expected by Lilker being there instead of Bello. I'm surprised actually, what with Bello having quite a "bouncy" style and being very present in the mix, that Lilker stepping in has been pretty seamless. But then, it hasn't really added anything either, like Newsted with Metallica, or Cliff Williams with AC/DC.

But the difference is definitely noticeable in Overkill without DD Verni. Dave Ellefson is one of the best in the game. Both he and Verni are pick players, both use active pick-ups etc, but that aggression and "clank" that DD has brought to Overkill since 'Under The Influence" is noticeably absent, and even though Ellefson does a fine job, it doesn't feel like Overkill.

Granted I'm just basing all of this on some youtube and instagram clips. But still, I definitely hear and feel the difference. 

Putting together a compilation of Faith No More B-sides & rare tracks, I nabbed a couple of compilations to get a couple of tracks I didn't have, only to discover that I (kinda) did: New Improved Song is a Mosely-era demo of The Morning After, and The Perfect Crime is just a slicker rerecording of Sweet Emotion with different lyrics.

Now for ya.

#314 April 26, 2024, 05:18:11 PM Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:12:08 PM by The Wretch
John 5 is one of the dullest guitarists on earth, despite being incredibly technically accomplished. Not Polyphia level dull mind you, but every time I hear him play my brain switches of after 30 seconds.

Oh, and the new Motley Crue tune is utter shite. No surprise there.