#330 April 28, 2024, 09:40:10 PM Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 12:56:10 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: koper on April 28, 2024, 08:33:29 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on April 26, 2024, 05:18:11 PMPolyphia level dull

I wasn't aware of existence of Polyphia
until few weeks ago, when YouTube algorithm started feeding their videos to me for some reason. That's some elevator tunes from the Barbie World. The whole musical concept is so devoid of emotion and any true artistry it's actually incomprehensible to me how does one put so much time and effort into learning instrument and doesn't develop a pinch of good taste by accident.

They are the very definition of pedestrian.

Quote from: Giggles on April 28, 2024, 07:59:22 PMI've never really been a fan of John 5's image, but I enjoy his solo material. What's not to like about this playing?

Well that is certainly more interesting than his electric playing. I'm not sure I'd bother with a full album of him playing in that style mind you (if one exists) but it isn't offensive. I'm not doubting his ability, it's just that most of his solo output, especially his lead playing - or at least what I've heard of it - bores me to tears.

And he hasn't brought anything particular interesting to the bands or artists he has worked with either. The new Motley Crue song is a perfect example. The song itself is shite anyway, but his solo is just there for the sake of having a solo, it doesn't add anything, and it isn't particularly interesting from either a technical or compositional perspective. Even with an artist I don't like I can hear a solo, or an instrumental part and think "yeah, that was impressive". But with him, I don't find anything remotely engaging, even though I can recognize that he is an accomplished player.

I guess it's a taste thing ultimately. And he seems a bit dull himself. Unlike say, a Paul Gilbert. I wouldn't be a massive fan of everything he has done, but I can admire him as a player, and I find him a likable and entertaining fellow.

Not sure if it's a compliment or insult to John5 to say "fuck it, I'm off to listen to some Paco De Lucia" after hearing that.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 28, 2024, 09:40:10 PMI guess it's a taste thing ultimately.

Probably. I enjoy a few of Polyphia's tunes myself  :laugh:

Just saw a post from Obituary about the 'Metal Crushes All Tour' in the US and Canada, headlined by Amon Amarth.

I know AA are a big band in death metal terms, and have headlined above Obituary, Carcass etc before, but I was surprised to see Cannibal Corpse are supporting them, especially in the US. Would Cannibal not be a bigger act generally that AA? I mean, you always hear that they are the most successful DM band ever. 

You would have thought in America especially that CC would headline. Has the AA bubble not burst yet? Clearly not.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

I never really understood their appeal anyway. But I would have thought Cannibal Corpse would have headlined most death metal bills really.   

AA is more palatable and more gimmicky so makes sense that they would headline. The venues are massive as well from any clips I've seen. They played Red Rocks, Colorado.

If Rock and Roll were in fact two gods, what would each of them look like?

#339 May 03, 2024, 12:47:36 AM Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 12:51:01 AM by The Wretch
Johnny Cash and Little Richard.

Is that Rock and Roll or Roll and Rock??

Rock and Roll would be a conjoined twin god. Rock would look like Dwayne The Rock Johnson and Roll would look like Dino Cazares.

All I can think of for roll is a chicken roll.  Must be hungry!