#285 April 06, 2024, 04:48:50 PM Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 04:51:08 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Bürggermeister on April 06, 2024, 04:42:48 PMThe first Comeau album is very good, the shite guitar tone came on the second one, probably the worst guitar tone ever recorded.

I might check out that Comeau album, was that 'Carnival Diablos'?

Quote from: Bürggermeister on April 06, 2024, 04:42:48 PMWaters is his own worst enemy, he has all the skill in the world but frequently loses touch with what's good and what's not and doesn't allow anyone in to help steer him. He could've been fucking huge instead of a bit-part.

Yeah, that's a pretty fair assessment.

Yeah. Don't even waste finger energy clicking on Waking the Fury.

Cool, I'll give 'Carnival Diablos' a go so.

He has made some odd choices. What was the one with the drum machine, 'Remains' I think? Awful. 

Artists that say "we are doing it for the fans" or giving "the fans what they want"...really?

Quote from: Bürggermeister on April 06, 2024, 04:42:48 PMThe first Comeau album is very good, the shite guitar tone came on the second one, probably the worst guitar tone ever recorded.
Aye that's right, I got the two of them in one of those double album disc sets so the two are always a bit interchangeable for me

AIH is one the best thrash albums, Neverland is a bit odd in places but still great, imperiled eyes is the best prog thrash song

I always put the daftness of Annihilator down to them being Canadian. Waters usually in with an absolute face melter of a solo to redeem a corny and mundane song.

Speaking of Canadians, I can't for the life of me understand how Voivod & Skinny Puppy haven't collaborated with each other.

Sometimes it is not the more obvious change of membership in a band that is the biggest loss musically.

For example - Although I would agree with most people that their first couple of albums are their best, I think in terms of maintaining their musical identity, the partnership of Trey Azagthoth and Pete Sandoval was always more important to Morbid Angel than who was singing with the band, or who was the second guitarist.

And oftentimes I think Dream Theater losing Kevin Moore was a bigger loss than people, or even the band themselves realise. Maybe even more than when Mike Portnoy wasn't there. He just seemed to have a different sensibility as a writer than the other members and his successors, and I think that is large part of what is missing for me when I listen to most of their later albums. 

100% on board with the Kevin Moore thing. Love the albums he played on, can barely listen to anything after them (doesn't help that LaBrie blew out his vocal chords around the same time too).

Quote from: Ducky on April 09, 2024, 05:32:56 PM100% on board with the Kevin Moore thing. Love the albums he played on, can barely listen to anything after them (doesn't help that LaBrie blew out his vocal chords around the same time too).

Yeah. I liked 'A Change Of Seasons', most of 'Metropolis Pt 2' and a couple of things on 'Six Degrees...' but since then I find most of their stuff really dull. None of it really sticks in my head at all.     

I was chatting to my friend last weekend and he was saying his nephew is the only lad in secondary school that listens to metal. Said everyone just passively listens to the generic pop on the go. Anyone else find this somewhat scary? I remember there was always a handful of lads into it when I was in school. I wonder what has changed over the years?

Quote from: Necro Red on April 11, 2024, 11:16:13 AMI was chatting to my friend last weekend and he was saying his nephew is the only lad in secondary school that listens to metal. Said everyone just passively listens to the generic pop on the go. Anyone else find this somewhat scary? I remember there was always a handful of lads into it when I was in school. I wonder what has changed over the years?
I was out doing a bit of gardening a while back with some metal playing. Young lad from next door popped his head over the wall to ask what it was. Said he doesn't really listen to music at all, just podcasts, I found it absolutely bizarre

My kids will be outliers then. My 10 year old loves to chat about the best eras for Metallica, Anthrax etc and can talk at length about Queen, Kiss, Black Sabbath, Def Leppard

There are a good few young lads (and a few lasses) into metal here now, which wasn't the case for a long time. You had the whole emo and pop-punk thing for a while, and then very little in the way of any kind of subculture, but the last year or two is the first time I've noticed a lot of youngsters in metal shirts, patched denim, long hair etc. And from what I see on their shirts and jackets they seem to be into both the classics, and the newer and more extreme bands, which is great.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 11, 2024, 01:36:22 PMThere are a good few young lads (and a few lasses) into metal here now, which wasn't the case for a long time. You had the whole emo and pop-punk thing for a while, and then very little in the way of any kind of subculture, but the last year or two is the first time I've noticed a lot of youngsters in metal shirts, patched denim, long hair etc. And from what I see on their shirts and jackets they seem to be into both the classics, and the newer and more extreme bands, which is great.
that is class! Good to hear that. Here in kilkenny there is fecking nobody into it at all. The last time I seen someone in a metal shirt it was tourist ha ha