Possibly fits in to this thread: I listened to a band called Sleep Token this morning based on seeing their name everywhere and Rob Halford namechecking them.

This is just modern RnB/pop wrapped up in metal aesthetics surely?I don't hear any metal elements at all. Sam Smith for Tool fans

it's also some of the worst shit I've ever heard, and I've no major objection to pop music

Quote from: Pentagrimes on February 24, 2024, 10:18:46 AMPossibly fits in to this thread: I listened to a band called Sleep Token this morning based on seeing their name everywhere and Rob Halford namechecking them.

This is just modern RnB/pop wrapped up in metal aesthetics surely?I don't hear any metal elements at all. Sam Smith for Tool fans

it's also some of the worst shit I've ever heard, and I've no major objection to pop music

I checked them out a few weeks back as I saw some headline about them being the future of metal. If that's the future of it then I think this is definitely my stop to get off the bus. There's no metal element to them at all.

Incredible marketing though. Also an intriguing glimpse into how people will like something they wouldnt usually if it's marketed in a way that matches their preferred aesthetics.

I'm off to record a slowed down ska album with some David Glomba artwork and cryptic lyrics about the kaballah, Kerrang here I come.

Sam Smith for Tool fans  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Now there's a description to ensure I never listen to it

Quote from: Trev on February 16, 2024, 12:44:34 PMI've always pronounced Xentrix as Zentrix, someone the other day pointed out its actually Eccentrics?

No it's pronounced Zentrix.

First I'm ever hearing of Sleep Token. Worse, or at least equally bad, shite has been passed off as metal in the past.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 24, 2024, 09:26:06 AM
Quote from: Ducky on February 23, 2024, 11:57:43 PMPuppets, no contest. It has my three favourite 'Tallica songs, with The Thing That Should Not Be kicking off my love of _music_, not just metal. Leper Messiah is a close second. Disposable Heroes is my favourite long track of their's too :laugh:

I love SoH, but I'd put it in fourth place of Slayer's discog.

Which three are you putting ahead of it?

RiB, Divine Intervention (which is possibly one for the Controversial Opinions thread), SitA. In that order. I'd put Show No Mercy just after it

1. South Of Heaven
=2. Show No Mercy
=2. Seasons In The Abyss
4. Reign In Blood
5. Divine Intervention

Quote from: Ducky on February 24, 2024, 03:10:18 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on February 24, 2024, 09:26:06 AM
Quote from: Ducky on February 23, 2024, 11:57:43 PMPuppets, no contest. It has my three favourite 'Tallica songs, with The Thing That Should Not Be kicking off my love of _music_, not just metal. Leper Messiah is a close second. Disposable Heroes is my favourite long track of their's too :laugh:

I love SoH, but I'd put it in fourth place of Slayer's discog.

Which three are you putting ahead of it?

RiB, Divine Intervention (which is possibly one for the Controversial Opinions thread), SitA. In that order. I'd put Show No Mercy just after it

For me it's South of Heaven
            Divine Intervention
            Diabolous in Musica

So that's surely another for the controversial thread!!

That's just lunacy.

Any Slayer up to and including DI over any Metallica for me.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 24, 2024, 05:14:40 PMThat's just lunacy.

The Diabolous In Musica in 3rd place? I fuckin love that album

Quote from: astfgyl on February 24, 2024, 05:18:30 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on February 24, 2024, 05:14:40 PMThat's just lunacy.

God Hates Us All was where it finished for me. So uninspired all the way through

Quote from: astfgyl on February 24, 2024, 05:18:30 PM

That whole top 3.

I'd have Puppets and SOH pretty much at the same level, but the clincher is SOH has Ghosts of War, and Puppets doesn't.