Love Disposable Heroes! Had it on a C90 compilation I made for playing 40K and Space Marine to back in my teens, so it's also among the Metallica songs I've heard the most in my life  :laugh:  :abbath:

Anyway, yeah, MoP.

MOP is great and all....but South every time !

Quote from: Carnage on February 23, 2024, 10:51:11 AMMaster Of Puppets, as great as it is, still has Leper Messiah and Disposable Heroes, which let the side down.

Both of those songs are bangers, especially Leper Messiah. Great riffs, great solos great vocal delivery.

I WAS BORN FOR DYIIIIIINNNNNNNGGGGGG!!

Puppets, no question.

SoH is great but dips too much in the second half. Read Between the Lies, Cleanse the Soul, Spill the Blood are all good songs, but not up with the title track, Mandatory Suicide, Behind the Crooked Cross...

MoP is just fucking great start to finish

I love MoP from start to finish but I also love SoH from start to finish.

Not a bad tune on either

I'd have to go with Puppets, like picking a favourite child though
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Ah yeah I went with Puppets myself at a pinch but fuck me I do sometimes forget how good SoH is and by god is it great

Quote from: Bürggermeister on February 16, 2024, 11:32:35 AMTicketmaster are only ripping off people who allow themselves to be ripped off and, to be fair, why wouldn't they? They're in the business of making money and don't make a secret of it. If you don't think it's worth it, don't go. The choice is entirely yours.

Years ago I decided I'd never pay over €50 for a gig ever again. I still go to plenty of gigs and don't feel I've ever missed out on anything special. There's no emotional flapping, either, it's a simple no if it's over €50 no matter who it is. Big gigs are usually shit, let's be honest. You're usually miles away from the fucking band, the sound is shit, you're surrounded by cretins holding their phones in your view and the bands are usually well past their best. Why anyone would pay anything for that experience is beyond me. Go to five or six smaller gigs with the money.

One thing I find more than ever now is the local scene is where it's at. You can find super high quality bands and follow them (not in a social media way), see them in intimate venues, have room, pay next to nothing, it's great! I've found that ever since covid there's been way better crowds at local shows too. More people and more engaged. I hardly ever see an international band these days, only if it's someone I truly want to see.

Agree about the huge legacy acts, I don't bother with that at all any more. Most of them were already bloated and shit when I'd have been seeing them 20yrs ago, never mind now.

Also, never once clocked the right way to say Xentrix, and it's so obvious now when you hear it...

Puppets, no contest. It has my three favourite 'Tallica songs, with The Thing That Should Not Be kicking off my love of _music_, not just metal. Leper Messiah is a close second. Disposable Heroes is my favourite long track of their's too :laugh:

I love SoH, but I'd put it in fourth place of Slayer's discog.

Quote from: Ducky on February 23, 2024, 11:57:43 PMPuppets, no contest. It has my three favourite 'Tallica songs, with The Thing That Should Not Be kicking off my love of _music_, not just metal. Leper Messiah is a close second. Disposable Heroes is my favourite long track of their's too :laugh:

I love SoH, but I'd put it in fourth place of Slayer's discog.

Which three are you putting ahead of it?

I'd put Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood and probably even Haunting The Chapel and Live Undead all ahead of South Of Heaven.

I hadnt listened to SOH in about 10 years before this thread, and I'd actually forgotten how good it is. Not as consistent as Reign or Hell Awaits - Side 2 is a litter on the filler side bar "Spill The Blood" (though I have a soft spot for "Cleanse The Soul") but Side 1 is all bangers. I'd reach for that over Show no Mercy.

Not mad about Reign in Blood tbh and only listened to Show No Mercy once. I wonder how much difference it made that I was late to the table and didn't hear the albums as they came out. Divine Intervention was out before I ever heard a note of Slayer

Yep, I bought it on cd a few weeks ago not having had a copy in thirty years. First side is savage and side two is cool bar two kind of middling songs.