yet yet yet there are bangers on both Turbo and Ram it down...still I know what you mean the overall quality isn't there. British Steel is an interesting album and one that really isn't mentioned here much. Some think it's the best but for me it's not top 5. But Rapid Fire, The Rage are great, Living after midnight isn't good or is United, Breaking the law despite being played to death is still a great song. a 4 star album for me.

Quote from: Carnage on February 27, 2024, 03:59:49 PMTheir low points for me are Turbo (you're not Def Leppard lads, thankfully), Ram It Down and Redeemer Of Souls.

Ram It Down isn't a great album but the title track is killer and one of my all time favourite Priest songs.

The newest song sounds great and Halford seems to be in mighty form.

Blood red skies and Ram it down are fucking monsters and top 20 songs beaches

Quote from: Carnage on February 27, 2024, 03:59:49 PMYou will: it's shite.

I like Angel Of Retribution, one of my favourites of theirs. Nostradamus is overlong and doesn't really work, but there are a few belters on it. You have to admire their ambition in doing it, and Halford really pushes his voice on a couple of tracks.

Their low points for me are Turbo (you're not Def Leppard lads, thankfully), Ram It Down and Redeemer Of Souls.

:laugh:

Ram It Down has a cracking run of songs all the way up to the awful Johnny B. Goode cover. Does lose it from there on, though Monsters of Rock is at least listenable as a closer.

'Turbo' is great, if you're going to bash any Judas Priest album it should be Nostradamus or Redeemer (good stuff on both albums but each too long/bloated).

Any Ripper Owens era fans here? Just the two albums he did.

There was a track or two worth a listen on each, but I didn't listen to either enough to take note of what they were called. Cathedral something, I think was one of them?

Redeemer is shite from start to finish, definitely their worst album.

Yeah, Cathedral Spires, should be a staple in their live set. No telling Rob that though.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

I was late to the Priest party (didn't pay much attention to them 'til about 15 years ago) but when I bought a 'complete' boxset during lockdown, it omitted the Owens period entirely. Hardly complete - the 2 studio albums might not have been great but the 2 live albums were very good IMO. Given that all are out of print now, picking them up will probably cost me more than that fucking boxset.

#84 February 28, 2024, 08:05:16 AM Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 08:07:26 AM by Bürggermeister
Quote from: leatherface on February 28, 2024, 01:11:43 AM'Turbo' is great, if you're going to bash any Judas Priest album it should be Nostradamus or Redeemer (good stuff on both albums but each too long/bloated).

Any Ripper Owens era fans here? Just the two albums he did.

Jugulator is cool but not without doing some work first. Every song has a long and pointless intro which completely ruins the flow, makes it hard to listen to. I made a copy with the intros edited out of it and it's a much better listen. The title track and Cathedral Spires should be in every set they play. Ripper did Cathedral Spires when he played Fibbers a few years back. Fucking deadly, so it was. Demolition was not so good, though Hell Is Home is a decent tune. They badly needed a producer to cut the shit out and whip the songs into shape on those two albums, instead of Tipton calling all the shots. I think what they've done since Rob came back is fairly weak, too, to be honest. Jugulator is the last album of theirs I truly give a fuck about. Every album since has had good moments but, overall, is bathing in weak sauce.

Cheezy intros/interluders aside, Jugulator is a Ripper (ahem!  8) )
Demolition was lacking, though.

Turbo was a pretty big album for me back in my formative years. Absolutely loved it. Still do.

Nostradamus is a total turkey, too.
I get what they were trying to do, but they completely faceplanted it.

QuoteJugulator is the last album of theirs I truly give a fuck about. Every album since has had good moments but, overall, is bathing in weak sauce.

I'd agree with that. I don't think they've released any absolute turds since then except maybe Nostradamus. The other records are all grand but once the dust settles I never reach for them.

Whatever about the patchiness of the Ripper albums, Cathedral Spires is one of the best songs they've ever done and they need to play it at some point before they stop touring

Well it's out and fucking hell it's great! Roll on next week!

I'll probably pick up a copy at the show. If it's half as good as Firepower I'll be delighted with it.