Pretty decent cover, also weird to see Trujillo with his bass at a normal height and not strapped around his shins

#406 April 11, 2024, 08:20:27 PM Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 08:34:28 PM by The Great Cull
The fucking state of that cover. They used to do such amazing covers (Blitzkrieg, Small Hours, even Turn The Page) but this is muck.

Quote from: Carnage on April 11, 2024, 07:40:26 PMI listened to 72 Seasons again the other day, for the first time more or less since it came out. Had it on in the background while doing some computer stuff and it went down surprisingly well. Still not a patch on their classic material obviously, but it's definitely the best since Reload. If Darkness Had A Son could have come off either of the Load albums, easily.

I'd forgotten how stupid the CD packaging was though.

If Lars and Kirk raised their game to match James, the last two albums could have been excellent, rather than decent. But the drumming is too stiff to really give the songs any sort of dynamics or energy, and the leads are completely forgettable. Which is a shame, becuase one thing you can say about Hammett, is that he used to come up with really memorable leads. 

Quote from: The Great Cull on April 11, 2024, 08:20:27 PMThe fucking state of that cover. They used to do such amazing covers (Blitzkrieg, Small Hours, even Turn The Page) but this is muck.

Metallica and Anthrax always made excellent covers to be fair.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 11, 2024, 09:16:07 PMIf Lars and Kirk raised their game to match James, the last two albums could have been excellent, rather than decent. But the drumming is too stiff to really give the songs any sort of dynamics or energy, and the leads are completely forgettable. Which is a shame, becuase one thing you can say about Hammett, is that he used to come up with really memorable leads. 

Indeed. Ulrich's been dead weight for decades but who'd have thought Hammett would be a weak link?

Quote from: Carnage on April 11, 2024, 07:40:26 PMI listened to 72 Seasons again the other day, for the first time more or less since it came out. Had it on in the background while doing some computer stuff and it went down surprisingly well. Still not a patch on their classic material obviously, but it's definitely the best since Reload. If Darkness Had A Son could have come off either of the Load albums, easily.

I remember seeing YouTube vids redoing a chunk of the songs in I think it was the AJFA tone and it sounded class. The riffs are there but the production is so flat it takes all the power away from them.

Quote from: Carnage on April 11, 2024, 09:42:20 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on April 11, 2024, 09:16:07 PMIf Lars and Kirk raised their game to match James, the last two albums could have been excellent, rather than decent. But the drumming is too stiff to really give the songs any sort of dynamics or energy, and the leads are completely forgettable. Which is a shame, becuase one thing you can say about Hammett, is that he used to come up with really memorable leads. 

Indeed. Ulrich's been dead weight for decades but who'd have thought Hammett would be a weak link?

I've always thought Hammett was fairly weak. He was a good writer of solos in the 80s in melodic terms, but he's never been a good player of them. I guess you could say similar for Ulrich!

Quote from: jobrok1 on April 11, 2024, 04:16:03 PMGenerally couldn't give a shite about the 'Tallica camp but I am kinda digging this a little.
I can't help but think this is the kinda thing that they really want to be doing anyway.

Ive been saying that for awhile now too

Quote from: Mooncat on April 12, 2024, 12:04:34 AM
Quote from: Carnage on April 11, 2024, 09:42:20 PM

I've always thought Hammett was fairly weak. He was a good writer of solos in the 80s in melodic terms, but he's never been a good player of them. I guess you could say similar for Ulrich!

Think Kirk realised that he's never gonna really have a say and said "fuck it, I'm phoning it in and wearing tracksuit bottoms onstage while playing a Fleetwood Mac guitar"

It's not the worst really except every song could easily be edited to half length and I don't ever really feel like putting it on after hearing the full ring twice.

#415 April 12, 2024, 09:20:19 PM Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 09:24:32 PM by Carnage
Yeah, the length issue has been the case for yonks and the songs aren't particularly memorable. It was on in the background as opposed to actively paying it any heed, but in that situation I enjoyed it for what it was.

Edit: There's this:

https://youtu.be/TUyAuW-L1rU

Ah grand I'll give that a go because with a bit of editing it could be a solid though unspectacular outing, which would indeed make it their best in almost 30 years.

Fucking hell when I put it like that it's really very bleak

Quote from: jobrok1 on April 11, 2024, 04:16:03 PMGenerally couldn't give a shite about the 'Tallica camp but I am kinda digging this a little.
I can't help but think this is the kinda thing that they really want to be doing anyway.

That is a quality cover of a killer track. I haven't enjoyed new material from Metallica this much in more than 20 years.

So I ended up listening to 40 minutes of the 49 there while I was busting up a few zombies in CoD and it was actually far better with the editing.

Saying that though, the minute I got killed and stopped playing I couldn't handle another 9 minutes of it.

Even the edit feels a bit overlong. Mad stuff.
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 12, 2024, 11:15:11 PM

That is a quality cover of a killer track. I haven't enjoyed new material from Metallica this much in more than 20 years.

Had that on earlier and couldn't get all the way through. Just felt long like everything they've released after MoP if I'm being honest about it.

As for the 20 years, tis only the blink of an eye compared to the time passed since they last released anything interesting or exciting

I've a buddy who works in a record shop, and he had a more senior (50+) Metallica Bros™ come in and ask him for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road... you couldn't make this stuff up.