Guns N' Roses are shameful carry-on generally.

Arse band.

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on March 27, 2024, 10:52:17 AMChinese Democracy is a better album than Appetite for Destruction

Told this story here before but I burned myself a copy of Chinese Democracy one night while on a GnR buzz. Got about 4 or 5 tracks in and took it out of the player and threw the cd into the fire. First couple of tracks weren't even that bad but then I got it into my head that Axl sounded like Tina Turner and I couldn't shake the thought

Got a comp ticket off a neighbour to see Slash yesterday actually, setlist was mostly his solo stuff which is fairly standard blues rock but just watching the man play was great and the band were tight, they also played Don't Damn Me which was a nice surprise.

Quote from: astfgyl on March 29, 2024, 10:57:19 AM
Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on March 27, 2024, 10:52:17 AMChinese Democracy is a better album than Appetite for Destruction

Told this story here before but I burned myself a copy of Chinese Democracy one night while on a GnR buzz. Got about 4 or 5 tracks in and took it out of the player and threw the cd into the fire. First couple of tracks weren't even that bad but then I got it into my head that Axl sounded like Tina Turner and I couldn't shake the thought

I have trouble listening to Cirith Ungol as Axl Rose sounds like their vocalist.

I'm not sure this is "controversial" as such, but given the other people who have had the job over the years: Testament never sounded better live than when John Tempesta was behind the kit, and I wish he had made more albums with them too.

Also - Even though their last few albums are decent, they aren't exactly that exciting. They could do with some sort of shake up creatively. A new producer maybe? 

And honestly, all due respect to Skolnick, and as unlikely as it is to happen, I wouldn't be too upset if he left and James Murphy came back. Although I guess a major line-up change now might affect their profile.

Quote from: The Wretch on March 29, 2024, 09:06:50 PMAlso - Even though their last few albums are decent, they aren't exactly that exciting. They could do with some sort of shake up creatively. maybe? 

They had Hoglan and Digiorgio for their last few, but nearly everything was written solely by Peterson. Letting those two add something would really have elevated lifted those albums

Testament have been a spent force since track 2 on The Gathering.

#1522 March 29, 2024, 10:09:29 PM Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:12:16 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Trev on March 29, 2024, 09:51:24 PMThey had Hoglan and Digiorgio for their last few, but nearly everything was written solely by Peterson. Letting those two add something would really have elevated lifted those albums

I guess, yeah. They need to do something anyway.

Peterson and Billy produced the recent albums too, which is why I mentioned a new producer, someone to challenge them and push them out of the comfort zone a bit.

My favourite album will always be 'The Legacy', but 'The New Order' aside, for me their best records were when they tried something a bit different, be it the more melodic heavy metal elements on 'The Ritual', or the more extreme/modern style of 'The Gathering'.

And 'Low' deserves more respect too. What I wouldn't give for another 'Dog Faced Gods' or 'Chasing Fear". 

Still absolutely storming live mind you. I'm looking forward to the gig with Anthrax and Kreator.

Quote from: The Wretch on March 29, 2024, 09:06:50 PMI'm not sure this is "controversial" as such, but given the other people who have had the job over the years: Testament never sounded better live than when John Tempesta was behind the kit, and I wish he had made more albums with them too.

Also - Even though their last few albums are decent, they aren't exactly that exciting. They could do with some sort of shake up creatively. A new producer maybe? 

And honestly, all due respect to Skolnick, and as unlikely as it is to happen, I wouldn't be too upset if he left and James Murphy came back. Although I guess a major line-up change now might affect their profile.

I don't recall Murphy having much input on The Gathering?

Like anything he plays on is usually unmistakably him (in a good way), but that album barely registers.

Yeah, he wasn't really given much space to do anything there. I was thinking more along the lines of 'Low' as far as his playing goes. As I say, all due respect to Skolnick, he's a great player, but I don't find his more recent lead work all that memorable. I was just thinking of ways for them to shake things up a bit. And also, I just prefer Murphy as a player in general.     

Murphy was sick with his brain tumour during The Gathering so I'd say he wasn't around too much. He has said in interviews that he has no memory of those sessions.

I'm another one in the camp that Low deserves more respect and couldn't agree more on them being done after the 2nd track on The Gathering. The rest of that album is such a let down after those first 2 songs.

Quote from: Ducky on March 29, 2024, 05:23:37 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on March 29, 2024, 10:57:19 AM

I have trouble listening to Cirith Ungol as Axl Rose sounds like their vocalist.

Sound for saving me the bother man. One Axl is enough for anyone  :laugh:

Megadeths rust in peace while technically brilliant is album that I don't really get a buzz from. Not a bad album by any means, just not a great album to me .

Having been listening to it a few times lately I'm thinking that Schizophrenia is probably better than Beneath The Remains. It's punkier anyway but yeah it feels like that might be controversial. I dunno though.

I've overlooked it so badly over the years that it's like a new album for me all over again and fuck is it ripping

Edit: it's exactly what I'd want from Sepultura

I've overplayed BTR and Arise so much that it's been my go-to Sepultura album for a while now. Mighty stuff, has that nice punky (as you said) balance between rawness/enthusiasm and the slickness of those two.