Yes, Reek is absolutely savage. I hated it when I bought it around 20 years ago, and sold my copy. Only revisited it recently, and would now put it in my top 10 metal albums.

I haven't posted in this thread in a while........... here goes

* Donington 1988 is the worst show of Iron Maiden's career

* Accident of Birth and Chemical Wedding are better than 95% of Maiden's back catalogue

* Dehumanizer is a top 5 Sabbath album

* The best songs from Load and Reload put together would be the second best Metallica album in their catalogue after Ride the Lightning

* Inamorata is the best song Metallica have released in 25 years

* Youthanasia is the darkest and best Megadeth album and blows away Rust In Peace

* Cathedral Spires is in the top 3 Priest songs ever, and the live pinnacle for JP was the Owens era

Quote from: Cosmic_Equilibrium on May 28, 2024, 07:29:19 PM* The best songs from Load and Reload put together would be the second best Metallica album in their catalogue after Ride the Lightning

Wouldn't say second best but the best  of the two albums should have been the path they stuck to.

More Danzig (Until it Sleeps could have been on How The Gods Kill)/AIC influenced instead of them being in that weird limbo of trying too hard/can't be arsed since the late 90s.

#1548 May 28, 2024, 09:34:55 PM Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 09:50:06 PM by Thorn
Curious.. What is the 5 per cent that is better than those Bruce albums?
It's a quandary you throw up. I mean obviously the run up to and including Seventh Son was stellar but those two solo albums are in there fighting their corner too.

I agree with Dehumanizer by the way as a top 5 Sabbath album

And c'mon you can't be dismissing Peace Sells.. out of that Megadeth conversation. The first half alone is untouchable.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

More specifically regarding the Dickinson/Maiden issue the only Maiden albums I would rate above Accident Of Birth are AMOLAD, The X Factor, and Somewhere In Time. Chemical Wedding is probably the equal of any other 80s Maiden album.

That is a wild opinion. AMOLAD and X Factor in your top 3 🤯

Here's my main "Controversial Metal Opinion"- & I believe it's 1 I've posted here previously. Burzum is absolute shit. I dunno why I keep tryin with it & I don't understand why I try to make meself like it or "get" it. It's just bollox that sounds like absolute shite. Why would anyone bother when you have from Norway alone; MAYHEM, Satyricon, EMPEROR, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone....not to mention WATAIN, Deathspell Omega, Mgla... & if it's the whole "ambient" vibe argument- XASTHUR has done it way better; & he's shite too. Plus Varg is a fuckin imbecile. The only good thing he ever did was burn down some fuckin churches back in the day.  How about you get back to that you fuckin spa. & He's a cunt for murdering Euronymous. He could still be goin strong with MAYHEM now, fuck knows what we missed out on, as much as I love Rune's work. Fuck It/over it/delete

Completely wrong in so  many ways.

Quote from: Danny on May 29, 2024, 03:02:45 AMHere's my main "Controversial Metal Opinion"- & I believe it's 1 I've posted here previously. Burzum is absolute shit. I dunno why I keep tryin with it & I don't understand why I try to make meself like it or "get" it. It's just bollox that sounds like absolute shite. Why would anyone bother when you have from Norway alone; MAYHEM, Satyricon, EMPEROR, Gorgoroth, Darkthrone....not to mention WATAIN, Deathspell Omega, Mgla... & if it's the whole "ambient" vibe argument- XASTHUR has done it way better; & he's shite too. Plus Varg is a fuckin imbecile. The only good thing he ever did was burn down some fuckin churches back in the day.  How about you get back to that you fuckin spa. & He's a cunt for murdering Euronymous. He could still be goin strong with MAYHEM now, fuck knows what we missed out on, as much as I love Rune's work. Fuck It/over it/delete

That's a lot of energy for a band you don't like. Also Burzum doesn't sound really like any of those bands you listed so that's probably why people would bother.

Quote from: Wilbur Whateley on May 23, 2024, 11:46:11 AMI wouldn't trust the band's judgement. They released some awful scutter after Necroticism that they should be more ashamed of.

I loved Necroticism back in the day but I went back to it there when it was reissued 2 or 3 years ago and found it quite dull. Symposium of Sickness is the best song on there, I'd take Reek over it any day. Reek/Symphonies are genius. Kinda don't care after that.

I'm not a huge fan of Necroticism either, but it's the last thing they released that could be considered decent.

Very passionate about Burzum there, Danny 😄 It's good to see. You're wrong though. There would be no Xasthur without Burzum so not a valid point.

Quote from: Danny on May 29, 2024, 03:02:45 AMHe's a cunt for murdering Euronymous. He could still be goin strong with MAYHEM now, fuck knows what we missed out on, as much as I love Rune's work.

If Euronymous was still alive he'd probably have turned his back on black metal and embraced turtleneck sweaters like Ihsahn.

He'd also most likely be morbidly obese so even if he wanted to play black metal he wouldn't be able because of his bloated fingers. 

Yeah it seems like your hatred of Varg is colouring your perception of the music. It's a really original style he has with so much atmosphere on those releases. Weird hypnotic spells. Doesn't seem possible to like the bands you mentioned but hate Filosofem for example.

[/quote]

I loved Necroticism back in the day but I went back to it there when it was reissued 2 or 3 years ago and found it quite dull. Symposium of Sickness is the best song on there, I'd take Reek over it any day. Reek/Symphonies are genius. Kinda don't care after that.
[/quote]

Yeah even Necroticism is weak compared to the first two these days. the complete inverse of how i felt a few years back. i'm playing Reek all the time at the moment since he reminded me how good it is.  :abbath:

Symphonies is their peak, obviously but Necroticism (minus the intros) and Surgical Steel are both close behind. Reek is shit, a few decent tracks buried in a dogshit production.

Can't get into the most recent one at all for some reason, there's just nothing there to draw me in.