It would be, yeah. If your favorite band was Pulp.

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on March 27, 2024, 10:52:17 AMChinese Democracy is a better album than Appetite for Destruction
Utter nonsense!
Picked up TCD for a €1 a while back and still feel fucking cheated.
Forced myself to listen to it all the way through. Total dogshit.

Speaking of Appetite, a mate shared this with me the other day. Fairly impressive performance, albeit it does sound slightly odd having the instruments all acoustic but the vocals doing a ~perfect impression of full rock Axl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTkRA4XOjQY

Quote from: londonleatherboy on March 06, 2024, 09:18:54 AMDio post Mob Rules is not a good singer. bordering on unlistenable

Dio is overrated shite, full stop. Technically accomplished, but fucking hell does he bore the man-tits off me, especially with his dork fantasy lyrics.

Quote from: jobrok1 on March 27, 2024, 12:21:09 PM
Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on March 27, 2024, 10:52:17 AMChinese Democracy is a better album than Appetite for Destruction
Utter nonsense!
Picked up TCD for a €1 a while back and still feel fucking cheated.
Forced myself to listen to it all the way through. Total dogshit.
It's still infinitely better than that boring muck that is Appetite, at least Chinese Democracy is interesting. I should probably have prefaced this with Appetite wasn't one of my formative albums, I've no attachment to it. It's the audio equivalent of the shite stepped on coke beloved by the bootcut jeans, check shirt, brown shoes brigade.

Ah now, that's going too far: some of us were raised on shite stepped on coke!

I can say this about Appetite, the high res sound desk recordings are unreal! they came with the massive 'safe' boxset. Truly unreal!

Then I would agree with criticism of AFD, its very dark.

I have my Chinese Democracy moments, very interesting album. Too many chefs......

Also liked HardSkool... great song...... but they threw me on that last single(?) release!

#1507 March 27, 2024, 06:03:55 PM Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:53:41 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Ducky on March 27, 2024, 12:32:00 PM
Quote from: londonleatherboy on March 06, 2024, 09:18:54 AMDio post Mob Rules is not a good singer. bordering on unlistenable

Dio is overrated shite, full stop. Technically accomplished, but fucking hell does he bore the man-tits off me, especially with his dork fantasy lyrics.

Ah now lads. That is pure bollocks.

The man was an immense vocalist, the perfect balance of range, power, and (for want of a better word) feel. Firstly, saying he was not a good singer after Mob Rules is utterly absurd, even if you aren't a fan of Dio the band, there is no doubting his vocal ability throughout his career. Even when Heaven & Hell did that Radio City Music Hall gig, he was an absolute powerhouse. He was what, 65 when he did that show? And he still put men half his age to shame. Even before his illness he was still pretty fucking good, especially considering his age.   

Holy Diver, Last In Line, Dream Evil and Dehumanizer are fucking stellar heavy metal albums. And Lock Up The Wolves, Magica, Killing The Dragon, and Master Of The Moon are great too, if not quite all time classics.

And 'The Devil You Know' is vastly underrated in the grand scheme of things. Both that, and the new tracks on 'The Dio Years' compilation were the best Sabbath related material in decades.     

And fantasy lyrics are as valid as any other kind.

Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on March 27, 2024, 12:49:13 PMat least Chinese Democracy is interesting.

It really isn't. He threw everything at the wall over the course of what, 15+ years and it still sounds like a turgid, derivitive, unfocussed mess.

Quote from: Carnage on March 27, 2024, 06:32:48 PM
Quote from: Skott Furys jizz rag on March 27, 2024, 12:49:13 PMat least Chinese Democracy is interesting.

It really isn't. He threw everything at the wall over the course of what, 15+ years and it still sounds like a turgid, derivitive, unfocussed mess.

You are absolutely correct Sir.

Clarify here!!!!

Chinese Democracy, during its gestation some of the songs sounded way better than what was released. To me in a way its similar to Metallica's Load.

Chinese Democracy had so many 'named' people working on it. Multiple takes on everything, so many people came and went that it really was a car crash. But - its Axl's true vision for Gun's n Roses. About a million miles away from what we know and love about Gun's N Roses.

I got Chinese Democracy 'Given to me' in a shop on vinyl, because nobody was buying it!!! A first! free.....

For me the gestation of the album, the revolving door of members and the madness of Axl makes it interesting!

There's 6-7 tracks on Chinese that are pure genius. Madagascar, Sorry, There Was a Time, they're the ones off the top of my head. Fantastic guitar work and the vocals are unreal on some of those.

I do think the Lyrics are fascinating, obviously Axl spent a lot of time refining them.

"Sorry" comes to mind, but "Madagascar" and yes "There was a time" weirdly they would be my standouts on the album as well!!!!!!