The nasal thing was deliberate. They wouldn't let him contribute much (if anything) to the writing and he did the voice out of spite. They hadn't time to redo the vocals so that was what we got.

Has he said it was out of spite? Rather than just him being young and an absolute messer known for prank humour? I know some members weren't happy with the vocals, but I'd heard Patton just defended them, like said that was how he meant to do it, that was the style.

#1487 March 06, 2024, 01:01:24 PM Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 02:27:55 AM by Carnage
I read it somewhere within the last couple of years, but can't remember where. Possibly in the sleevenotes for the recent reissue, maybe not. Spite might be pushing it but know it was definitely deliberate, as a reaction to not being allowed to write more.

Quote from: Don Gately on March 06, 2024, 11:29:04 AMif Patton cut out the nasal shyte too it would have been better, Angel Dust is their peak
He was essentially making it up as he was going along (and clearly taking the piss out of Kiedis etc)when he joined,barely gone 20 years old. The nasal bits aside it's a hell of a performance.

Quote from: londonleatherboy on March 06, 2024, 10:09:00 AM
Quote from: Giggles on March 06, 2024, 09:29:14 AMAs in, his entire solo catalogue?
yes

What! The first 4 Dio albums have some of the best heavy metal vocals ever I reckon.

Nah his nasal vocals are deadly  8)

Quote from: londonleatherboy on March 06, 2024, 09:18:54 AMDio post Mob Rules is not a good singer. bordering on unlistenable

That's not a controversial opinion, that's an incorrect statement, plain and simple.

"Not good.... bordering on unlistenable".... get out of town!

Quote from: Carnage on March 06, 2024, 01:01:24 PMI read it somewhere within the last couple if years, but can't remember where. Possibly in the sleevenotes for the recent reissue, maybe not. Spite might be pushing it but know it was definitely deliberate, as a reaction to not being allowed to write more.

Cool, cool, yeah I definitely always took it to be deliberate since I only knew Epic from The Real Thing and then got to properly know them through later albums first.

I am currently listening to The Perfect Crime for the first time. How have I never come across it before and why was it not added to the bonus material on the recent reissues? Not getting excited, it's an Angel Dust B-side at best but I'm annoyed that I'm only hearing it 30 years down the line.

Don't think I've ever heard that either. I'll give it a spin later.

Listening to Sweet Emotion now and if ever there's track that should have been on The Real Thing, that's it.

The Perfect Crime is a good auld b-side.  I'm surprised it's not on anything else.  I've had a sort of home mix of FNM b-sides for forever on the PC (most cobbled up from limewire days) and that was in there, as is my favourite FNM b-side of them all:
https://youtu.be/XXEMTvOmAXM?si=XZvIx8yX9cQghyUu

Quote from: Carnage on March 07, 2024, 02:31:40 AMListening to Sweet Emotion now and if ever there's track that should have been on The Real Thing, that's it.
I had never heard that before. It's so odd to listen to it after knowing The Perfect Crime for over 30 years. I can do without with the nasal vocals, to be honest, and I miss "STAYSHUNNNNN!" 😂

Chinese Democracy is a better album than Appetite for Destruction