They became a bit hipster in the last decade or so, especially when Homme started buying into the slick rock n roller thing, but for the first couple of records they were just a great rock band, could be heavy as fuck at times, weird and trippy or just straight up great melodic songwriters.

Would have loved to see them in 2002 with Grohl, Lanegan and Oliveri, there was some chemistry in that lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzMUZ0rt-5U

EODM I meant in the post previous, re: the hipster thing, but yeah, Homme's gone that way in general alright.

Sae QOTSA on that tour, but I don't think either Grohl or Lanegan played that night (the Ambassador). Savage gig, though.

SFTD is their masterpiece IMO. I like the DJ sections a lot, they add to the fun and tie the record together thematically.

Nothing else in their catalogue matches it. The debut is good but not as good as Songs..., and Rated R is pretty overrated despite some high points.

I did see the classic line up about 20 years ago which was fortunate as without Oliveri the band had no balls and they just became Homme plus hired hands making silly hipster music.

I'd say Era Vulgrais is my favourite but have been buzzing off the debut lately as well and generally like them all except Rated R never did a lot for me. I'll go back at some point. Them Crooked Vultures is also in the running for me if we're being loose with the rules.

That Them Crooked Vultures album is a goddamn gem.

Quote from: open face surgery on November 21, 2021, 08:16:31 PM
Quote from: hellfire on November 21, 2021, 06:32:57 PM
Quote from: Born of Fire on November 19, 2021, 01:03:27 AM
Emperor do nothing for me either. As for Mayhem, De Mysteriis and the stuff recorded with Dead is excellent but you could live without the rest. The later album with Attila are grand but not essential. Maniac is an unlistenable cunt.

The Maniac era wasn't all bad. Grand Declaration of War was shite, Chimera and Wolf's Lair Abyss are deadly.

Went back to Chimera lately and enjoyed it. Been at least 10 years since I had it on.

Am I the only one here who loves A Grand Declaration of War? I enjoy it as much as any of the rest

Their best album for me, though it's structured awfully (empty tracks, songs split across tracks, etc.).

Oh yeah I find QOTSA mostly boring. I don't really get the appeal at all.

GDOW is fuckin awful on more or less all fronts. I think Chimera is the only thing with Maniac, bar Deathcrush, that I can handle.

I thought Chimera was far worse and was bored to tears before halfway through any time I tried it. I can fully understand why anyone who was into Mayhem would dislike GDOW given the sound of it but I like the absurdity of it. Maniac's spoken word parts always give me a good laugh too. He sounds like Liquid Snake out of the first Metal Gear Solid.

Might get cancelled for this but 'Heathen Tribes' by Primordial would raise a few eyebrows if listened to after first putting on Samael track 'On Earth', which predates it. If I were being polite I'd say the former is heavily influenced by the latter.

Seems like a serious reach. Listened to both there and apart from the actual words Heathen Tribes, I  see no connection. That Samael track is dogshit.

Quote from: astfgyl on February 13, 2022, 10:14:51 AM
I thought Chimera was far worse and was bored to tears before halfway through any time I tried it. I can fully understand why anyone who was into Mayhem would dislike GDOW given the sound of it but I like the absurdity of it. Maniac's spoken word parts always give me a good laugh too. He sounds like Liquid Snake out of the first Metal Gear Solid.

Chimera is awful I have tried so many times and I don't like anything about it. Wolfs Lair is excellent and GDOW is good (especially the lyrics). Ordo and Esoteric Warfare are masterpieces. The last album was decent enough as well.

Quote from: open face surgery on February 14, 2022, 08:51:54 PM
Seems like a serious reach. Listened to both there and apart from the actual words Heathen Tribes, I  see no connection. That Samael track is dogshit.

On earth is a ridiculous song. Samaels early stuff is cool though. Ceremony of opposites is deadly and Passage has some great riffs.

Quote from: blessed1 on February 14, 2022, 10:33:54 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on February 14, 2022, 08:51:54 PM

On earth is a ridiculous song. Samaels early stuff is cool though. Ceremony of opposites is deadly and Passage has some great riffs.

Samaels Blood Ritual should be class but to me listening to it it feels like it's always building up to something that never materialises.