Quote from: Born of Fire on November 19, 2021, 01:03:27 AM
Emperor do nothing for me either. As for Mayhem, De Mysteriis and the stuff recorded with Dead is excellent but you could live without the rest. The later album with Attila are grand but not essential. Maniac is an unlistenable cunt.

The Maniac era wasn't all bad. Grand Declaration of War was shite, Chimera and Wolf's Lair Abyss are deadly.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 21, 2021, 05:36:00 AM
Not liking Bruce's vocals is one thing and being critical of his intentions, while maybe a bit far fetched (I have never read his autobiography and know very little about him so maybe you know something here that I don't), is also fair game, but to say that he's not metal when his own unique style, whether good or bad, has had such a massive influence on countless heavy metal singers is far far off the mark as to not even qualify as controversial. It's simply silly.

I don't disagree with a single thing ya said here man, you'r right.
I haven't read his autobiography myself and am really in no position to make judgments on the man at all, my opinion of him is more than likely groundless.
I just never got a real metalhead vibe off him to be honest, if that makes any sense. At the risk of sounding faggy, I think he has no emotional attachment to the music. That's what I meant by "He aint metal", and it probably is a silly statement, but then I'm a silly cunt.

Ah yeah, I get you. I can't imagine he's neck deep in metal either. But probably none of them are at this stage.

It's easy to forget that extreme metal wasn't  a thing when these old lads were growing up either, the heaviest band they would have been exposed to would have been Sabbath, most heavier metal is probably alien to them.

Quote from: hellfire on November 21, 2021, 06:32:57 PM
Quote from: Born of Fire on November 19, 2021, 01:03:27 AM
Emperor do nothing for me either. As for Mayhem, De Mysteriis and the stuff recorded with Dead is excellent but you could live without the rest. The later album with Attila are grand but not essential. Maniac is an unlistenable cunt.

The Maniac era wasn't all bad. Grand Declaration of War was shite, Chimera and Wolf's Lair Abyss are deadly.

Went back to Chimera lately and enjoyed it. Been at least 10 years since I had it on.

Quote from: ldj on November 21, 2021, 08:06:58 PM
It's easy to forget that extreme metal wasn't  a thing when these old lads were growing up either, the heaviest band they would have been exposed to would have been Sabbath, most heavier metal is probably alien to them.

Fair point.

I dunno,  there was plenty of heavy stuff emerging in the late 70s, early 80s but maybe more in the hardcore punk scene. But you had Venom in the very early 80s, not to mention the growing thrash scene.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 21, 2021, 09:27:24 PM
I dunno,  there was plenty of heavy stuff emerging in the late 70s, early 80s but maybe more in the hardcore punk scene. But you had Venom in the very early 80s, not to mention the growing thrash scene.

Fair counter-point.

[quote author=Born of Fire link=topic=203.msg58630#msg58630 date=1637283807
As for Mayhem, De Mysteriis and the stuff recorded with Dead is excellent but you could live without the rest. The later album with Attila are grand but not essential. Maniac is an unlistenable cunt.
[/quote]

I agree.

Queens Of The Stone Age first album was their best....its class......everything else since then has been a disappointment

Agreed on the first point, but Rated R and Songs For The Deaf were both good (though the DJ intros on the latter were fucking terrible, pointless, and ruin the flow of the album completely for me). From Lullabies (3 decent tracks) onward though, absolute shite.

Massively overrated band. I can't stand Kyuss or any of that scene but at least they're niche underground bands. QOTSA and The Eagles of Death Metal on the other hand have no business being so big. Just aggressively marketed "rock" for people that want to rock out in a bland and safe way. Which is a huge and lucrative audience of course.

Nah, QOTSA were class up until the last album, especially when they had Lanegan and Oliveri contributing to vocals.

Eagles of Death Metal are irredeemably shite however.

Incredible band. EoDM suck from what I've heard.

I thought the first album was OK, but very hipster happy.