#975 February 15, 2022, 07:14:34 AM Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 07:20:22 AM by Caomhaoin
Quote from: open face surgery on February 14, 2022, 08:51:54 PM
Seems like a serious reach. Listened to both there and apart from the actual words Heathen Tribes, I  see no connection. That Samael track is dogshit.

It is a desperate song. Going from place to place (Vienna to Ankara etc etc), the tune isn't a million miles away either. Granted I had that album on out running so I wasn't focussing 100% on it. It's an exceptionally gay and shit track with a highly similar theme to HT. Could be coincidence, who knows.

I don't think the lyric isn't heathen tribes, rather hidden tribes.

Huge Paradise Lost fan, but have being going through the catalogue in anticipation of the gigs in September. Draconian Times is not a great record at all. It's front loaded with all the best stuff happening very early on. Go past Once Solemn and the quality nosedives, I was fairly bored listening to the rest of it and wondered how I ever rated it so highly. Even the production on the earlier songs like Enchantment is light years ahead of some that follows later on in the record.

Funny, I always thought the same until recently, when I found myself enjoying the second half more than the first. Perhaps because I was less familiar with it, but it seemed fresher than side one when I spun it last.

Here's one - Into Infinite Obscurity is the best thing Dissection did, the albums sound tame compared to what they managed on this.

BURZUM is the most useless "Metal" band to exist. Don't know how people are into this shit. Tried again with it earlier today just out of boredom. "Atmosphere/feeling" and Black Spells of Destruction me hole. The lore around it was and still is cool; I love the cover of the Debut and here, honestly I feel we need to bring back a bit of this church burning for the craic like (what happened with Gaahl in that Metal A Headbangers Journey doc interview saying it should and will be done much more in the future..?), but I listened to the early albums BURZUM-Filosofem in full once years ago as a curiosity, and honestly its just something I would never wanna go through again with any of the songs again. And Varg himself is clearly a fucking dickhead. Fuck him and his shite music and his crispsy cornflakes too!

I Am really into a lot of Black Metal bands, I think MAYHEM, Satyricon, WATAIN would be my top 3, but there is just so many and too many boring as fuck and shit sounding shite BM out there I just dont get into at all. XASTHUR at least has way more layers and musical depth in the atmospheric appeal and dark feeling BM heads go on about, I mean compare BURZUMs Dunkelheit or whatever to XATHURs Prison of Mirrors. but I don't know, even XASTHUR bore the hole off me too ha so I guess I'm just not into this atmospheric depressive lofi BM sound most of the time

As far as primitve production goes like.. Darkthrone's A Blaze/Under A Funeral for example now I can't deny sound fucking evil but like the early Satyricon albums at least it is musically still decent & interesting with great metal riffs and blastbeats that sound fucking heavy

For me BLACK METAL evolved from quality bands like VENOM, BATHORY, HELLHAMMER/CELTIC FROST and fuckin SLAYER. So I mean if it doesn't sound more dark and evil than SLAYER I don't see how its BLACK fucking METAL.  :abbath:  :abbath:  >:(

Funny, I was listening to Hvis Lysett Tar Oss last night. Burzum are top three for me but I get why they wouldn't be for everyone. I tell you what though, you can say what you like about Varg, but when it comes to burying a knife into someone's skull there's no better man for the job.

Lulu is Metallica's best album since Justice.....

A caution to the wind off the cuff brilliant album!

Quote from: Danny on June 24, 2023, 11:07:04 PMBURZUM is the most useless "Metal" band to exist. Don't know how people are into this shit. Tried again with it earlier today just out of boredom. "Atmosphere/feeling" and Black Spells of Destruction me hole. The lore around it was and still is cool; I love the cover of the Debut and here, honestly I feel we need to bring back a bit of this church burning for the craic like (what happened with Gaahl in that Metal A Headbangers Journey doc interview saying it should and will be done much more in the future..?), but I listened to the early albums BURZUM-Filosofem in full once years ago as a curiosity, and honestly its just something I would never wanna go through again with any of the songs again. And Varg himself is clearly a fucking dickhead. Fuck him and his shite music and his crispsy cornflakes too!

I Am really into a lot of Black Metal bands, I think MAYHEM, Satyricon, WATAIN would be my top 3, but there is just so many and too many boring as fuck and shit sounding shite BM out there I just dont get into at all. XASTHUR at least has way more layers and musical depth in the atmospheric appeal and dark feeling BM heads go on about, I mean compare BURZUMs Dunkelheit or whatever to XATHURs Prison of Mirrors. but I don't know, even XASTHUR bore the hole off me too ha so I guess I'm just not into this atmospheric depressive lofi BM sound most of the time

As far as primitve production goes like.. Darkthrone's A Blaze/Under A Funeral for example now I can't deny sound fucking evil but like the early Satyricon albums at least it is musically still decent & interesting with great metal riffs and blastbeats that sound fucking heavy

For me BLACK METAL evolved from quality bands like VENOM, BATHORY, HELLHAMMER/CELTIC FROST and fuckin SLAYER. So I mean if it doesn't sound more dark and evil than SLAYER I don't see how its BLACK fucking METAL.  :abbath:  :abbath:  >:(

No no no no no no no no.
NOOOOOOOOO.
I'll admit the first time I heard Burzum  I thought it was average. How wrong I was. He is on another level in all ways. Far superior to most of the other stuff.
Burzum, Bathory and Darkthrone. Top 3.

there is no justification for not liking Burzum!  :abbath:

Here's one that'll definitely be controversial to a lot of ye I reckon;

The modern black metal/post-black metal and various offshoots that have been happening are miles better than the first wave stuff for the most part. Give me Altar of Plagues, Procession of Spectres, Mizmor, Wiegedood and so on over almost any of the Norwegian bands, every time.

It's not a competition and there had to be pioneers (and look, maybe if I was there for it I'd feel different) but fuckit, I think it's been explored a lot better than initially. I'd actually expand this across the board tbh, a lot of my favourites were made this century. I think it's a very very exciting time to be a metal fan to be honest.

:abbath:

Like saying Big Tom is better than Zeppelin.

#986 June 25, 2023, 11:44:27 PM Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 12:41:44 AM by Eoin McLove
I might have agreed with that outlook years ago when I was busy checking out every new release and really invigorated by the new things being done. But over the years I've found myself drawn more and more to the earlier bands and these days I think there is no comparison. The original stuff is the best.

Scream Bloody Gore sounds like shit and is my least favourite Death album. Not saying that it's not good, but it sounds so shit.

#989 June 26, 2023, 01:49:53 AM Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 07:13:57 PM by Carnage
No, that is a Wrong Thing. Listen to the recentish Relapse remaster, it sounds great.

Re: black metal - I genuinely think the Burzum s/t is the definitive BM album. Raw as fuck (and one of the only 'raw' BM albums I can abide) and just primal in its ferocity. Try as 'they' might to trivialise it in light of Varg's general ridiculous personality/image, he hit the nail on the head with that one.

On the other hand, I fucking hate Darkthrone, (most) Mayhem, (early) Ulver etc. for the same reason, the deliberate primitive approach. I realise the contradiction, but there you are.

WITTR, Gaerea, The Secret, Mizmor, Bolzer, Urfaust, Schammasch, TROB, Wiegedood, etc. I'm a fan of some of the recent crop, but I could do without Liturgy, Mork, a lot of others.