Quote from: Mithrandir on November 19, 2021, 12:24:58 AM
Killers is the worst of the first 7 Iron Maiden albums. Blows my mind that people reckon it's their best.

Whenever I hear anyone saying that they rate either of the Di'Anno albums above anything up to Seventh Son I presume they're just saying it to sound cool.

'Iron Maiden' is up there with the classic Dickinson stuff.  'Killers' isn't a patch on it, though. D'Ianno's performance on the debut is so fucking cool. Completely different to Bruce, but I love his voice and attitude on those songs and I hope it makes me sound cool to say it  8)

Quote from: Eoin McLove on November 19, 2021, 01:33:44 AM
'Iron Maiden' is up there with the classic Dickinson stuff.  'Killers' isn't a patch on it, though. D'Ianno's performance on the debut is so fucking cool. Completely different to Bruce, but I love his voice and attitude on those songs and I hope it makes me sound cool to say it  8)

I agree, while I don't rate killers, the first album is one of the best records ever.

Indeed, Killers is brilliant. The first Maiden - actually the first metal - album I bought. Piece Of Mind is the worst of the '80s albums. The tinny production is bad enough (the 2015 remaster is the first time it's actually sounded listenable) but you also have one of their worst songs in Quest For Fire, and I'm no fan of Die With Your Boots On either.

Killers is my favourite Maiden album  8)

If only the first album had the production of Killers it would be perfect.
The drums on the debut sounds really weak.
Dianno was a perfect voice for those 2 albums.

Puritanical era Dimmu is best Dimmu.

Quote from: Blackout on November 20, 2021, 12:43:26 AM

Wouldn't say that's very controversial now.
Everyone I know who listens to them would agree on that tbh

Quote from: blessed1 on November 20, 2021, 02:21:35 PM
Quote from: Blackout on November 20, 2021, 12:43:26 AM

Wouldn't say that's very controversial now.
Everyone I know who listens to them would agree on that tbh

I find the opposite. Too polished for some.

If I'm in the mood for Maiden, its Iron Maiden or Killers I'd always reach for bar the odd time I'd go for Number Of The Beast for nostalgic reasons.
I've no time for Brucey Boy at all, he's like a lad that wasn't good enough to be a classical singer so he said "Sure I'll give the auld rock a go", and he got away with it.
At the risk of being controversial - he aint metal.

Not liking Bruce's vocals is one thing and being critical of his intentions, while maybe a bit far fetched (I have never read his autobiography and know very little about him so maybe you know something here that I don't), is also fair game, but to say that he's not metal when his own unique style, whether good or bad, has had such a massive influence on countless heavy metal singers is far far off the mark as to not even qualify as controversial. It's simply silly.

Sarcofago are shit besides "Laws of Scourge" and people only like "INRI"  because of the cover

The first three words there are all you need. Awful band.

On a related note, Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation in particular are unlistenably shit.