Cold Lake is fucking brilliant.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on May 12, 2020, 12:32:46 PM
'Gallery of Suicide' is better than any of the Chris Barnes Cannibal Corpse albums.

True of everything except The Bleeding.

The bleeding does have some classic tracks, and two or three of the essentials at a show. It's close alright, but GOS just pips it for me.

That choon 'stabbed in the throat. Phoar, ya cunchy.

The music on those Barnes albums is fantastic and his vocals on Eaten and half of The Bleeding are great, but on the other half, and Butchered and Tombs, he's unlistenable. It's one of the few instances where I'd be happy for them to rerecord the vocals with Fisher, and stick them over the existing tunes.

As an aside, I watched the documentary the other day, great watch.

Show no Mercy is the greatest Slayer album by a country mile. It's a good album but I cannot fathom all the fuss over Reign in Blood. I wouldn't even consider it the greatest thrash album from 1986.

Neither album is their best (that's South Of Heaven), but Show No Mercy is definitely closer to the top. I'd put RIB in fourth, with SNM and Seasons in joint second, Divine in fifth.

SOH has the heaviness, the variety, the perfect production, even the Priest cover is brilliant.

My top three are Show no Mercy, Seasons and South in that order. Darkness Descends still the 1986 release which to these ears has yet to be bettered.

Quote from: vinterland on May 13, 2020, 07:05:23 PM
Show no Mercy is the greatest Slayer album by a country mile. It's a good album but I cannot fathom all the fuss over Reign in Blood. I wouldn't even consider it the greatest thrash album from 1986.

The one gripe I'd have with RIB is the production - the sound is way too clean/thin. Then again at the other end of the scale I don't like the production on Darkness descends either 😂

The production on RIB is perfect. Despite the shit production, if you have SOH as well as RIB, you have all the Slayer you need.

Seasons is fucking weak. A handful of great songs padded out with shite. 3/5 at best.

Personally was always underwhelmed by Seasons, would put all of the earlier ones above it. As an external comparison, I prefer Chaos AD to it.

South of Heaven was one of the first metal albums i ever heard,so that always had an influence on it being my no1 Slayer album.I have to say i love Seasons too,i can remember being a bit underwhelmed by  Divine intervention  when it came out.

As for Cannibal Corpse,the first 4 are beasts,id absolutely hate to hear Corosegrinders vocals on any of them!.Of the albums after Barnes,Bloodthirst is probably the one id reach for.

I think Slayer up to mid seasons(I consider the latter half of the album very boring - even the title track) were in their prime album wise.

I'd be the opposite when it comes to cannibal. I love all CC albums until bloodthirst. After Gallery they started to sound very bland.

Gallery was the first corpse album I listened to at 13 years of age and I consider it my favourite despite overall preferring the Barnes albums.

Quote from: Carnage on May 13, 2020, 07:15:55 PM
Neither album is their best (that's South Of Heaven), but Show No Mercy is definitely closer to the top. I'd put RIB in fourth, with SNM and Seasons in joint second, Divine in fifth.

SOH has the heaviness, the variety, the perfect production, even the Priest cover is brilliant.

^ This.

I'm in the "first ones I heard are favourites" camp for Slayer, so that's RiB and Seasons.

RiB is particularly formative in my listening as I remember sitting in my bedroom one Saturday, just listened to it through while reading (one of the scent few I bought) an issue of Kerrang and they had a rave review of Napalm Death's "Enemy of the Music Business" and I said "I want to hear something wilder than RiB", I had a record voucher burning a hole in my pocket and the pokey little record shop it was for, to my complete surprise, had the ND album.

I think Divine Intervention is their third best, then SoH, then SNM, WPB, GHUA. Hell Awaits is almost unlistenable with one of the most weak sauce productions I've ever heard.

I do remember buying Diabolus In Musica off the back of really liking Bitter Peace and well, should've stuck to the free sampler CD it was on :laugh: