Quote from: Thorn on May 10, 2020, 10:24:33 PM
No problem with the Black album at all for me, always said 'first five', rather than 'first four'. Would be perfectly happy never to hear Sandman or Nothing  Else Matters again though.
Sick to death of those two songs, but otherwise still think it's a great album. Would have loved to hear My Friend of Misery as the instrumental it was originally planned as though

I don't mind the hits but Don't Tread on Me, Through the Never, Struggle Within and Holier Than Thou are utterly disposable.

You could add Sad but True to that list. Utterly boring song.

The Unforgiven and The God that Failed are by far the best songs on that album, the former because it's their best ballad, the latter because it managed to have that accessible, polished sound that they were pursuing while maintaining the piss and vinegar attitude of their earlier albums.

Some great tracks on it,and i love the big sound off the album ,but i havent put it on in donkeys years.In fact i play very little Metallica these days,i think i burnt myself out because i listened to the early albums more or less every day for years as a young lad.

Through The Never has my favourite riffs from that album. Fun wee solo too.

Holier then thou is a great song. Get out if it!!

The riff after the solo in Struggle Within is possibly the best moment in the Black album

This has actually inspired me to listen to the album and I don't particularly like them at all at this stage.

Of Wolf and Man, Through the Never and Don't Tread on Me and Struggle Within are heading towards filler direction even though there's a riff or a solo here or there that stands out. I could also live without ever hearing Sandman again, not because it's a terrible song or anything but it is hands down the most overplayed metal song ever. I have lots of time for everything else on the album.
Sad But True through to Wherever I May Roam are crackers and similarly The God That Failed and My Friend Of Misery are great songs.

I've always viewed it as a classic rock album for the 90s and an interesting cultural snapshot of the vibes in the US at the time in a way (it's a supremely self-confident record). Great production job although I can't help but wonder if the sheer perfection of it dates it slightly.

Holier Than Thou is shite.

My Friend Of Misery should definitely have been the fifth instrumental, it all gets very average when the vocals come in, but the opening melody is excellent. I think they just couldn't bear Jason doing what Cliff had done (despite the indication that it would have turned out really well judging by the opening bit) and they added the vocals to downplay him.

The Year And A Half In The Life Of... videos of the album recording process and the 91/92 tours are both really good. The footage from Donington 1991 has the best live version of FWTBT ever.

Quote from: Circlepit on May 11, 2020, 09:49:39 AM
Holier then thou is a great song. Get out if it!!

Best song on the album for me 😂

Of wolf and man is brilliant too. !!! :abbath:

Shape shhhhiiiiffffffftttttt... nah, it's defo filler!

'Gallery of Suicide' is better than any of the Chris Barnes Cannibal Corpse albums.

'Progeny' is by far the best track on 'Nadir' by Abaddon Incarnate.