#1800 July 25, 2024, 01:43:44 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 01:46:10 PM by Trev
It was definitely Krisiun, got a ticket to see them and remember checking out Gruesome since they were supporting

Edit: Just looked it up Krisiun/Gruesome/Vitriol, 18th April '20. Would have been a savage gig

That makes sense I wasn't here then so I never even knew about that show. The show I was talking about was suppose to happen early 2022.

Quote from: mickO))) on July 25, 2024, 11:46:24 AM
Quote from: Ducky on July 24, 2024, 02:14:45 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on July 24, 2024, 11:30:45 AMFor me the only Death stuff that can touch the first four Deicide is Scream Blood Gore and the demos. I always put Death in the same camp as Obituary very good but overrated. Given the direction Death where going in before Chuck passed I can only imagine the crap they would be releasing today. Some could argue the same about Deicide even though the last two albums have been great.

Symbolic was supposed to be Death's last album, Chuck only gave Nuclear Blast The Sound of Perseverance under the Death name in order to get Control Denied out the door with them (indeed, a few TSoP songs were originally CD songs).

Death were long done before he died, and he already released a new album from his new creative endeavour (and had some of the bones of their second one). So it's impossible to know if Death would have sat dormant in perpetuity, or if he'd have pulled a Billy Corgan with Zwan/Smashing Pumpkins.

I personally don't like Control Denied. The music is cool, but he clearly didn't know how to write for clean vocals.

I wouldn't be mad on later Death mainly the last 4 they are good for what they are but not my type of thing. I did really enjoy those Death To All gigs about 10 years ago the first show covered the first four albums then they came for a second show that was only the last four albums both shows were really good. The Left To Die show was also great. Death To All have been touring the US again be great to see them come back here and it would give me an excuse to give to later Death albums a listen again.

The Gruesome material is decent enough. I really like they way they have the earlier Death style artwork and lyrical themes for the songs.

Hup yeah, that's it entirely - doesn't matter how good the steak is if steak isn't your thing to begin with.

I do honestly love The Sound of Perseverance, but I'm entirely on board with most of the complaints about it too. They don't bother me personally as such, but they're definitely present.

I enjoyed Gruesome too, but eventually came around to the same line of thinking as Burrgermeister. If I'm gonna tap my foot to that sort of stuff, may as well go back to the source (Closed Casket does live on a "random metal tracks I enjoy but not enough to trot out the parent album" for the James Murphy solo).

I see they have a Symbolic/TSoP-esque song released at the end of May called Frailty. I am impressed how Matt Harvey can write music in someone else's style (fuck, the first time I heard Exhumed I genuinely thought it was Carcass), even if it's highly derivative.

Musing - I wonder if there's some young'uns out there that have never heard Death but are fans of Gruesome?

Yeah that's definitely happened with young metalheads, I've seen the occasional Reddit thread pop up where they're legit suprised. Most kids will sort by new on streaming.

Think Averill said on his podcast that were were some oul bucks at Death To All /Left To Die saying "Jaysus Chuck sounds great 😂"

A few days away from the forum and I come back to people disrespecting the Deicide debut as if it isn't the greatest death metal record of all time, maybe I should have stayed away all together  ???

Nocturnus, could never get into these lads as much as I want to. Tried 'The Key' again today and once more found it too hyper and frantic, too much going on all the time, especially these solo flourishes that go over the riffs. Will try again some other time.

Aww, sad face, it's one of the great DM debuts. Then again, the hyperactivity is part of the appeal, so if that doesn't float your boat it's fair enough to not dig it.

It took me a long time to come around to them initially, but that one's a cracker when you're in the form for something a bit different.

Yep, it's not a straight up DM record. Was probably one of the earlier weird ones, so your ears have to be attuned to it.

I'll never forget one of the lads and the face he pulled when he realised that keyboards are a thing on it :laugh:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but I find early Immortal utterly unlistenable. Their output from the past quarter of a century from At the Heart of Winter onwards shows the band at their peak, with ATHOF and WAA being their magna opera.

Only true of Blizzard Beasts. Diabolical, Holocaust & Battles are distinct, stone cold classics. At the Heart of Winter is the only classic from the second era. Sons... is hit and miss.

War against all, All shall fall and Northern Chaos Gods are so stock in their presentation i just couldn't give a fuck.

Quote from: vinterland on October 20, 2024, 04:47:49 PMNot sure if this has been mentioned already but I find early Immortal utterly unlistenable. Their output from the past quarter of a century from At the Heart of Winter onwards shows the band at their peak, with ATHOF and WAA being their magna opera.
Couldnt agree more!

Quote from: vinterland on October 20, 2024, 04:47:49 PMNot sure if this has been mentioned already but I find early Immortal utterly unlistenable. Their output from the past quarter of a century from At the Heart of Winter onwards shows the band at their peak, with ATHOF and WAA being their magna opera.

No.

Spent the morning listening to everything up to At The Heart of Winter.  Blizzard Beats I always found it to be hard listen, but other wise, think they they are all quality albums. 

Never really got into Damned in Black but love Sons of Northern Darkness.  After that they are ok.