Agree with The thing that should not be is epic. Weird, strange vibe from that song. Remember when this came out that song scared the shit out of 12 year old me. That and Sanitarium are the ones that endure.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 23, 2023, 11:45:01 PMThe Thing That Should Not Be is my favorite Metallica song.
100%. It's between Battery and Dyers Eve for 2nd place.

Purcell and I definitely talked about covering TTTSNB at some stage

MOP is a great album but the production saps a lot of the excitement out of it. RTL is still Metallica's masterpiece.

If you took the best songs off the Loads and put them on one CD it would be the second best Metallica album.

Quote from: Cosmic_Equilibrium on October 24, 2023, 09:56:20 AMMOP is a great album but the production saps a lot of the excitement out of it. RTL is still Metallica's masterpiece.

If you took the best songs off the Loads and put them on one CD it would be the second best Metallica album.

This thread has descended into madness. Next you'll be saying that Diabolus in Musica is Slayer's best album.

Metallica lost the plot after AJFA but those first three albums are classics. I personally think Kill 'Em All is their best, with Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets tied for second. The cracks were starting to show with Justice, but they were still writing great tunes. The Black album and everything after were made by a band who were a shadow of their former selves.

Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Ride the Lightning either but I do prefer it to MOP.  Give me Kill 'em All and Justice any day of the week. 

Quote from: Pentagrimes on October 24, 2023, 09:30:38 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on October 23, 2023, 11:45:01 PMThe Thing That Should Not Be is my favorite Metallica song.
100%. It's between Battery and Dyers Eve for 2nd place.
This, completely lol.  Maybe blackened in for the tie there too but TTTSNB likely my favourite too.  I can't think of any better at least.

Listening to Famous Monsters and American Psycho a lot lately and definitely prefer Graves era Misfits than Danzig era.

That said I do love Walk Among us, Earth AD and static age but there's something magic about the Graves albums.

Quote from: Massey Ferguson on October 24, 2023, 10:16:41 AMMetallica lost the plot after AJFA but those first three albums are classics. I personally think Kill 'Em All is their best, with Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets tied for second. The cracks were starting to show with Justice, but they were still writing great tunes. The Black album and everything after were made by a band who were a shadow of their former selves.

Actually I'd argue that they lost the plot after the 2 Load albums. The Black Album is technically one of the best sounding albums out there in terms of production, so clear and powerful and there is some quality songs out there. I have a soft spot for the Load era too, it felt like a natural evolution from the black album but it should have been one album. After that is where they lost the plot, a band with a serious identity crisis trying to recapture a sound they no longer had any interest in.

Quote from: LLR on October 24, 2023, 10:20:59 AMListening to Famous Monsters and American Psycho a lot lately and definitely prefer Graves era Misfits than Danzig era.

That said I do love Walk Among us, Earth AD and static age but there's something magic about the Graves albums.

The Graves era is brilliant, the vocal layering and harmonies really make those albums stand out.
The Danzig era is still better though. Just the attitude, delivery and the songs themselves.

Reload was such a disappointment for me. Load was different and it stood out. Should have had songs cut out but still it was great. Putting out Reload was just pointless. More of the same.
I don't care that it was the same sessions blah blah. Fuck off.

Puppets is the pinnacle for me for metal. It's so tight and heavy.
Just the intro to the title track alone, that riff. It"s crushing and TIGHT!.
Motorbreath, Phantom Lord, No Remorse, Creeping Death, Blackened and Harvester Of Sorrow are the other top songs I couldn't live without.
One is on the same level as Enter Sandman now. Drop it from any set forever.

Yup agree One, Sandman, Nothing matters, Sad but true would rather I never hear again. Load is OK, some good stuff but some terrible songs, Reload is a hot mess. They still play Fuel live these days, wtf is that about. Black album probably settles into 4/5 album. Just because there are w Couple of fillers in there. Through the never, holier than thou, Misery.
First 4 are 5/5 albums.

People shit on Reload far too much. I prefer Load but even so there's some great songs on Reload that are among their best - Fuel, Memory Remains, Where The Wild Things Are, Low Man's Lyric.

Just because it's called Reload people seem to think it's an outtakes album but it isn't.

So, Fuel a good song, middle four songs on RiP not good. Think I understand better now; we just got very, very different DNA!

Load and Reload is where all four wheels had well and truly come off.
There was no quality control anymore. Everything single musical idea they came up with from Load onward was put into a song, regardless of whether it was any good, just OK or total dogshit.
The best they came up with post Black album is 'I Disappear' from the MI:II soundtrack. That song is a quality rocker.

Also! On a side note.
What's with all the live b-sides?
Why would anyone in their right mind buy one of their physical singles anymore.

Few tunes on Load that are much better than I, Disappear and I don't even care about Metallica.

Fuel is a fuckin godawful song. Only bettered in the depths of shite by The Memory Remains.

I like both of those songs and don't think much of I Disappear! I did a Load/Reload compilation lately and they both made it. Some good stuff on those albums but definitely only an album's worth of good material between them.