#1170 October 23, 2023, 04:14:41 PM Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 06:15:40 PM by Cosmic_Equilibrium
Anthrax are only in the Big Four because of Among the Living, though?

On that basis the grouping should be expanded to a Big Five and Exodus included because of Bonded by Blood's influence on the genre.

Oh and I agree with the opinion that South of Heaven is the best Slayer record. And that Show No Mercy is great fun, NWOBHM worship taken to the extreme. Reign In Blood? Too much speed, not enough song writing. Whoever mentioned that is correct too.

State Of Euphoria and Persistence Of Time sold comparable numbers, if that's what we're talking about.

Which, if you're talking about who's in the Big 4 and who isn't - we are.

#1172 October 23, 2023, 04:37:23 PM Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 09:05:14 PM by Circlepit
Quote from: Born of Fire on October 23, 2023, 12:33:42 PM
Quote from: Circlepit on October 23, 2023, 10:11:12 AMRust In Peace is a bag of shite.

Now that is controversial! Incredible album that still sounds fresh no matter how many times I listen to it. I could never tire of that iconic razor sharp guitar tone paired with that unmistakable Megadeth playing style.

It's a bag of shite. Riff soup, it's like they had bits of songs and cobbled them together. If Metallica had written that album it would have been a more streamlined musical juggernaut.
Instead it's like a load of cats in a bag.

Overkill are razor sharp but the albums are too long.
Sodom are the best German thrash band.

I think Anthrax get slated because they didn't take it all too seriously - the bermuda shirts, comic imagery, I'm The Man and all the rap shite, etc. - but that first run with Belladonna was great, State Of Euphoria included (underrated album). There's probably more filler on their classic albums that the other 3 in the group, that may work against them but generally they deserve their spot there. I keep going on about Persistence but Intro To Reality going into Belly Of The Beast is sublime, perfect metal for me.

Rust In Peace isn't shite but it is very overrated. Four classic songs bookending the record (Dawn Patrol is an interlude) but the middle of the album has no hooks or interesting riffs.

When I first got it I thought the record started and ended well but the middle of it left no impression on me. I thought repeated listens would improve that, but it didn't.

The original mix is abysmal as well. Tinny and with no bass to speak of. People moan about the remix but it added some heaviness.

Just to be clear, the claim there is that there are "no hooks or interesting riffs" on Take No Prisoners, Five Magics, Poison Was The Cure, or Lucretia?

Madness  :laugh:  :abbath:

Yep. Should have just released the good songs as an EP and then it would be a high point of their career.

Rust In Peace is the finest album ever recorded.

It's certainly Megadave's best, no question.

Quote from: Cosmic_Equilibrium on October 23, 2023, 06:19:52 PMThe original mix is abysmal as well. Tinny and with no bass to speak of. People moan about the remix but it added some heaviness.

Ah for fuck sake! Those remixes are the worst thing Dave did in his career. Completely sterilised the classic albums and killed all the atmosphere of the originals. Rust in Peace original mix guitar tone is unparalleled as far I'm concerned.

See I just don't get that. There's like no power or guts to the original Rust in Peace mix. I get not liking the remix, but to say the original one is good.....?

One exception to the general 'the Megadeth remixes sucked' opinion has to be the original remix done for KIMB (not the one done a few years ago) which makes the album sound so much more savage.

Jaysus, there's some bollix being spewed in here lately...

Quote from: Mr Barlow on October 23, 2023, 07:16:33 PMJaysus, there's some bollix being spewed in here lately...
True.
Rust in Peace is Megadeth's best album. And even though Metallica were a bit more consistent in the 80s, it's better than any single Metallica album.

Rust In Peace is a savage album. Don't understand how it's even up for debate. At least ye have moved on from being wrong about Slayer anyway.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 23, 2023, 06:34:45 PMJust to be clear, the claim there is that there are "no hooks or interesting riffs" on Take No Prisoners, Five Magics, Poison Was The Cure, or Lucretia?

Madness  :laugh:  :abbath:

Total madness, the last minute of 'Poison Was The Cure' is rifftastic!!