#9660 June 21, 2023, 10:55:59 PM Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 10:58:56 PM by Thorn
I'll be checking it out myself , curious .., Was fine as it was I thought.Also you merit true Metal points for getting your kicks in her girly room!
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Nothing wrong with the original but this sounds far better to my ears

https://agoniarecords.bandcamp.com/album/spheres-remaster

Quote from: Thorn on June 21, 2023, 10:55:59 PMI'll be checking it out myself , curious .., Was fine as it was I thought.Also you merit true Metal points for getting your kicks in her girly room!

Sounds more than a little sinister when you put it that way  :o

#9664 June 22, 2023, 12:41:38 AM Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 12:57:21 AM by Eoin McLove
Paradise Lost- Draconian Times.

Pestilence- Spheres. Man, I love the song Personal Energy. I would love a full album in that style.

Presumed Guilty- Misanthropy Comp.

The first four Pestilence albums have been remastered at least twice in the past 3 or 4 years alone. I've heard varying reports about the quality of the remasters so I'd do some research before spending.

For me, Spheres was a definite skip album, that jazzy/prog DM trend that happened around then (first Atheist, then ITP, Cynic, Spheres, later Gorguts etc.) was just irritating.

Didn't like Spheres at all, granted I wasn't exactly a connoisseur when I heard it.

Quote from: Carnage on June 22, 2023, 01:35:22 AMThe first four Pestilence albums have been remastered at least twice in the past 3 or 4 years alone. I've heard varying reports about the quality of the remasters so I'd do some research before spending.

For me, Spheres was a definite skip album, that jazzy/prog DM trend that happened around then (first Atheist, then ITP, Cynic, Spheres, later Gorguts etc.) was just irritating.

The previous one I heard was little more more than a gentle loudening. This one has opened up the higher and lower frequency ranges. There's meat to the bass and the guitars and you can hear more of the synths. It's warmer. It's not just hard mid-frequency guitar and little else. It's like a new album, very impressed. Sure the link is there, see what you think yourself.

The jazzy/prog stuff was where it got really interesting, for me. Some bands were definitely better suited to it than others, though.

Mind Reflections is an absolute killer opening track, even though I'm not a huge fan of the synth approach taken and even less so of the spacey interlude stuff. Although they do fit in better than those on Testimony of the Ancients, which is otherwise a better album than Spheres  :laugh:

So...

Pestilence - Spheres
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients

and then they put me in the mood to revisit

Believer - Extraction From Mortality

The fucking speed of some of the riffs on this album is unreal. Godspeed, you might say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4cnqb727YU

#9670 June 22, 2023, 09:54:07 AM Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 09:58:19 AM by Paul keohane
Testimony one of my favourite DM albums,masterpiece.Got into Pestilence when Spheres came out,so always had a soft spot for it.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 19, 2023, 12:35:20 PMGoatlord- Reflections of the Solstice. Nutty album. I don't know why I've never bothered picking this one up as I've always enjoyed it when I've stuck it on. I think next pay day I'll bite the bullet. The drums sound fucked. Is it an electronic kit on 80s spacey futuristic exterminating robot setting or what? The sloppiness, the rolls that just stop halfway through... mongo magic. The guitars sound nice and raw with very little effects beyond basic amp distortion to my ear and those raw vocals. Probably my favourite Moyen album cover as well. The song titles, and I'm sure the lyrics, are unique and evoke strange cultish imagery in my head. A masterpiece of rotten filth. It also seems to have been made by real outsiders and mentally damaged people, which adds to the intrigue.

Funny I've been listening to a lot lately too and was thinking the same, insane drums that's just work. NWN just did a nice looking reissue I'm gonna pick up. They were to play NWN fest years ago that never happened obviously but would have been interesting to see how they captured that sound live nowadays. Crazy about their guitarist murdering that mother and child also.

Yeah it's blue splatter vinyl which wouldn't be my choice but I'm not all that fussed either way.

They seem like a bunch of messed up individuals. Real outsiders. And that insanity seeps through their music.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on June 19, 2023, 12:35:20 PMGoatlord- Reflections of the Solstice. Nutty album. I don't know why I've never bothered picking this one up as I've always enjoyed it when I've stuck it on. I think next pay day I'll bite the bullet. The drums sound fucked. Is it an electronic kit on 80s spacey futuristic exterminating robot setting or what? The sloppiness, the rolls that just stop halfway through... mongo magic. The guitars sound nice and raw with very little effects beyond basic amp distortion to my ear and those raw vocals. Probably my favourite Moyen album cover as well. The song titles, and I'm sure the lyrics, are unique and evoke strange cultish imagery in my head. A masterpiece of rotten filth. It also seems to have been made by real outsiders and mentally damaged people, which adds to the intrigue.

It was just really Joe that suffered with the mental issues and from what I remember reading years ago these only started later in life long after the band was done. He was near 50 when he did what he did a few years ago.

Ace was a killer vocalist the Doom Snake Cult LP is also great that he sang on. Was plans about 10 years ago to get them to play a reunion show in Berlin but someone (Joe I think) had a huge fear of flying so it never happened. It is a shame that Ace Passed away.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on June 22, 2023, 09:16:07 AMThe previous one I heard was little more more than a gentle loudening. This one has opened up the higher and lower frequency ranges. There's meat to the bass and the guitars and you can hear more of the synths. It's warmer. It's not just hard mid-frequency guitar and little else. It's like a new album, very impressed. Sure the link is there, see what you think yourself.

I might check out those new Testimony and CI reissues, Testimony is where I got into them and it's one of my favourite DM albums. Having said that, I haven't owned it since I got it on tape at the time. CI is decent as well. Malleaus did nothing for me and I'm not a fan of the post-Testimony albums, the last few in particular have been fairly disposable IMO.