Blessed is a personal top 5 DM album, they never came near it before or after. I always associate it with summer, the year it came out it was permanently on my walkman when I was out and about.

I alternate between Altars, Covenant and Formulas as favourite. Death metal is fully covered between those 3 albums for me. Blessed is next in line. Went back to Domination for a while last year and was enjoying it but it ran out of steam.

Covenant for me will always be the top of the bunch for me.
Blessed is fantastic but Covenant was the first one I heard followed by Abominations which is ferocious.

Formulas threw me off with all the instrumental drum bits.

What instrumental drum bits?

I think he means extra tracks on the album 'Heretic' (which isn't too bad an album despite being quite surreal in places).

'Blessed..' is my favourite, from first getting into death metal back then. Get an OG copy to appreciate the artwork too- some awful cheap looking reissues out there.

Ya, that's what I thought. Heretic is fine. Went back to it not too long ago.

Heretic is great I hated it when it came out but went back to it a few years ago and love it now. Altars and Covenant were always my favourite with formulas not too far behind.

Blessed is the best thing they ever did, it has flow from song to song, tempo to tempo, which is just fucking amazing.

Quote from: open face surgery on May 03, 2023, 07:56:05 PMWhat instrumental drum bits?

The last three tracks are the instrumentals I was referring to.
I do think the vocals are savage on that album. It was like every syllable was a fuck you to the naysayers.

Those swirling guitar riffs on Covenant though. The intro riff to Rapture alone always hits the spot.

Ah ya, weirdly enough I hear them as an industrial thing sorta like the intro to Deathcrush.

Man, Covenant really is fuckin astounding. All the fat trimmed, blistering from start to finish with the perfect balance of fast and slow. It's 10/10 without question. The slow bits on Blessed are fuxking crushing. The perfect DM metal band without question. They could release anything they want forever more and that status would still be untouchable.

Covenant is what I say when asked, but between the first three there's nothing really in it for me. As said above, the opening to Rapture is always such an instant pleasure hit, I think that's mainly why it's the first one I think of.

Covenant after the film I mentioned in the film thread, which is so good I'm posting on me at the same time.

Is it addiction or a shit film or both?

Back on topic I'm just about to lash in the first disc of a 4 disc Stephen Steven Wilson curated collection that someone gave to me as a present. It looks class

Black Magick SS - Burning Bridges

Absolutely superb stuff. Has elements of various genres of 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s music. There's a bit of rock/metal in there in the occasional guitars and of course its all rooted down with those class throaty BM vocals.

It's bananas stuff really and I'd imagine is pure marmite for most folk  :laugh:

Morbid Angel still blow me away on a weekly basis.

Have enjoyed the BMSS stuff I've heard but don't see why people are so into them nor would I be arsed buying their records.

#9299 May 04, 2023, 05:25:24 PM Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 05:43:23 PM by Pentagrimes
that new Voidceremony lp is blowing my mind. that new Moon Oracle as well.