I love almost all fnm except Sol Invictus which feels like half an album or something seriously missing from it at the very least. I think I grew a new appreciation for AOTY after the last one came out. Might be the familiarity of the years or maybe the new one is so ugly that the last one is looking prettier by comparison.

Now listening: Porcupine Tree Closure/Continuation.

Not bad but a bit slow going for the mood I'm in. Think they fairly peaked around 20 years ago with In Absentia anyway or maybe even before that with The Sky Moves Sideways.

Anyway, I might throw on Sol Invictus to see if anything has changed there.

Album Of The Year is my go to FNM album these days. Angel Dust, closely followed by The Real Thing are obviously the top stuff but I've played them to death, and KFADFFAL is only OK. Poor production and a lot of duds. The Mosley albums are shite and Sol Invictus just sounded like Patton took over completely but AOTY is a nice, relatively stripped down album. Just Mouth To Mouth and Got That Feeling let it down for me.

It's Angel Dust, KFAD, then AOTY for me in that order.  But they are all close.  The Real Thing is completely lethal too, nothing wrong with it whatsoever and gets regular listens, but the other three just peak it.  Sol Invictus is fine but very weak compared to their 90s albums.  We Care A Lot and Introduce Yourself have some top class songs on there but don't hold up as well as albums.

#8883 February 27, 2023, 01:31:33 PM Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 01:33:10 PM by Carnage
It's Mosley's voice that kills those albums for me, I just can't listen to him. Like Baloff and Exodus, I can't listen to Bonded By Blood at all.

Quote from: Carnage on February 27, 2023, 01:31:33 PMIt's Mosley's voice that kills those albums for me, I just can't listen to him. Like Baloff and Exodus, I can't listen to Bonded By Blood at all.

He's worse on Introduce Yourself for some reason. I like those albums but he does get my toes curling quite often on top of what is decent music.

The new Megaton Sword again today.
I like that the singer let go a bit more and put a bit more grit into it.

Yeah the vocals really stand out for me this time around, plenty of character in there
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Circlepit on February 27, 2023, 03:17:16 PMThe new Megaton Sword again today.
I like that the singer let go a bit more and put a bit more grit into it.

Is it power metal? Yeah I could just look it up but then I wouldn't be on the old school forum

It's not power metal, more of a gallop style traditional metal.
Lots of swords and leather references.
I thought they were a bit shit at first as it felt quite restrained. I'm referring to the last album.
Others here were praising it so I gave it a few more spins and it clicked big time.
I'm hoping one of the locals will stock it. The shipping is through the roof for it from the label.

Quote from: Circlepit on February 27, 2023, 09:06:35 PMIt's not power metal, more of a gallop style traditional metal.
I thought they were a bit shit at first as it felt quite restrained. I'm referring to the last album.
Others here were praising it so I gave it a few more spins and it clicked big time.
I'm hoping one of the locals will stock it. The shipping is through the roof for it from the label.

Yknow what fuck it I'll lash it on. Will be back with the initial impression

Edit: I knew there'd be swords and leather

epic metal is what it is!  :abbath:  :abbath:  :abbath:

Quote from: Circlepit on February 27, 2023, 09:06:35 PMIt's not power metal, more of a gallop style traditional metal.

Pre order was 25e on The Great Satan Amazon, just waiting on it now
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Host. The new Paradise Lost spinoff album, not the original PL album. It's OK. Nothing earth shattering and picks up exactly where the original Host album left off.

Nirvana - In Utero.
I passed over this when it came out as I was a rather blinkered Thrash or Death or nuthin' head at the time. It's grand I suppose.

Bulldozer - The Day Of Wrath
Sinister - Diabolical Summoning
Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality
L.A. Guns - Cocked and Loaded
Skid Row - Slave To The Grind

Quote from: astfgyl on February 27, 2023, 01:35:20 PM
Quote from: Carnage on February 27, 2023, 01:31:33 PMIt's Mosley's voice that kills those albums for me, I just can't listen to him. Like Baloff and Exodus, I can't listen to Bonded By Blood at all.

He's worse on Introduce Yourself for some reason. I like those albums but he does get my toes curling quite often on top of what is decent music.

Yeah! some good stuff in those early albums, but his voice is shit pretty much ruins most of it.

This iteration of the band is truly atrocious, though.
Thank fuck it didn't last...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMTGlAPGmnM