Quote from: astfgyl on September 24, 2022, 10:11:17 PMPantera - Reinventing The Steel.

Shepherd was right it's not a bad album at all. A lot of it is actually very good.

I kind of liked it when it came out but I never bought it... definitely not their best album but decent.

Can't abide anything after Far Beyond Driven, and half of that is shite. This 'reunion' is not for me.

I never thought I'd say this but album of the year so far for me is the new... Slipknot.

It's incredibly commercial but very, very good.

#8103 September 25, 2022, 04:32:52 AM Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 04:35:37 AM by Carnage
Swans: The Great Annihilator
Swans: Die Tür Ist Zu

Quote from: boozegeune on September 24, 2022, 10:14:36 PMLatest Predatory Light, absolutely superb. One of the best of the year for me easily.

Cracker. Artwork is class too.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 24, 2022, 10:56:03 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 24, 2022, 10:11:17 PMPantera - Reinventing The Steel.

Shepherd was right it's not a bad album at all. A lot of it is actually very good.

I kind of liked it when it came out but I never bought it... definitely not their best album but decent.

I thought it was a hape of shit when it came out but after leaving it off for 20 years or so it's not too shabby. Last couple of tracks are a bit of a slog but up to We'll Grind That Axe... it's pretty much all good.

Quote from: Carnage on September 25, 2022, 01:21:17 AMCan't abide anything after Far Beyond Driven, and half of that is shite. This 'reunion' is not for me.

I think I listen to Far Beyond Driven the least of the major releases. Vulgar Display doesn't get much of a run either. Cowboys and TGST is where it's at for the good stuff. Might whip out the one before Cowboys today and see if it's still good haven't heard it in a decade at least I'd say

Quote from: Carnage on September 25, 2022, 02:46:03 AMI never thought I'd say this but album of the year so far for me is the new... Slipknot.

Good by any standard, or would I have to like Slipknot in the first place?

The Great Southern Trendkill is peak Pantera, simple as. Reinventing isn't bad, but its main merit is just not being a progression towards a more commercial sound.

Yeah it's TGST if it's any of them for me too.

I think TGST just shades it for me with the few keyboards and layered vocals. It's got a class atmosphere to it and it's heavy as fuck. Nearly feel like I'm doing the dirt on Cowboys saying it though

Cowboys a close second. But I think TGST is clearly their best "album" album. The snake aesthetic really suits the music too; sidewinding between moments of slick and smooth, some rasp, oozing builds that salivate venom, punctuated throughout with just vicious attacks of violence and Phil's most serpentine screams bookending the whole thing. Their other albums are more a case of totting up the great versus not so great tunes and seeing which one comes out with the highest score.

Quote from: astfgyl on September 25, 2022, 09:36:38 AM
Quote from: Carnage on September 25, 2022, 02:46:03 AMI never thought I'd say this but album of the year so far for me is the new... Slipknot.

Good by any standard, or would I have to like Slipknot in the first place?

I'd imagine you'd have to be on board with their style to get into it, though I can take or leave most of their stuff. I wasn't expecting much at all and it took me completely by surprise.

Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty

I haven't listened to Every Time I Die in years. Must dig out the Hot Damn! CD.