#780 September 27, 2019, 08:53:55 PM Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 08:56:28 PM by Thorn
Count Raven - Mammon's War

I nabbed this of Invictus a while back having only had one CR  on my shelves and  am utterly taken with it.  The rocking out Sabbath style early on doesn't begin to prepare you for the doomy beauty to come. After the spacey synth title track the album unfurls into slow, sorrowful melodies, beautiful little lead flourishes and  some seriously naked, heartrending prose reminiscent of Warning.
At first I thought it was like two different albums welded together but I'm fully on board now with the way the band structured this, clearly with vinyl in mind and keeping  their true gems up their collective sleeves til they let you get your rock swagger out of the way.
Glorious album.

Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Is Chritus singing on it? His vocals ruin anything I've heard with him on it.

Fleurety- Min Tid Skal Komme
Dold Vorde Ens Navn- Gjengangere i Hjertets Mørke
Reverorum ib Malacht- Ter Agios Numini

Dan Fondelius, he of the identical to Ozzy vox
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Maiden- Dance of Death, still reckon it's the best of the reunion albums, wouldn't mind seeing it rereleased with some decent artwork though

Quote from: Trev on September 29, 2019, 12:27:35 PM
Maiden- Dance of Death, still reckon it's the best of the reunion albums, wouldn't mind seeing it rereleased with some decent artwork though

Brilliant album. Couldn't agree more about the artwork. It's actually offensive to the eyes.

Ved Buens Ende- 'Written in Waters'.  Getting more into this album recently,  basically having given it a bit more time.  I always thought it was interesting but it was a peripheral and occasional listen for me.  Liking it more now for its quirks. There are some striking similarities between this and 'Min Tod Skal Komme' by Fleurety. 

'Remembrance of Things Past ' is playing now and l have just noticed how similar Hexvessel are melodically. That association never came to me before...

Death Angel - Humanicide, such a brilliantly consistent band. Haven't  had a bad album yet in my view which makes them fairly unique amongst thrash bands from that era

Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe

Never gets close to matching the heights of Watchtower despite a noble effort. It would have been nice to hear them try again, though.

Quote from: Juggz on October 01, 2019, 10:47:04 AM
Spiral Architect - A Sceptic's Universe

I must give this a listen now and see what I make of it, especially in the wake of how thoroughly I enjoyed the Howling Sycamore debut.

For me these last couple of days:

Malokarpatan - Twiddly-Dee
Thantifaxath - Void Masquerading As Matter
Testament - The Gathering (I'm not even really sure how I ended up having this on vinyl, but it's a grand listen once a year or so)

Black Witchery - Upheavel of Satanic Might.

One of those Ronseal bands, does exactly what it says on the tin.

Osculum Infame - Dor-nu-Fauglith after the good news today.

Damn the Machine - s/t

Another one album band. It's a shame they never made a second. Poland ist krieg.

Down- 2014 EP
My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
Thergothon- Stream from the Heavens