Angel Witch was a completely blind buy for me in the mid 00s while in London. I was looking out for Sardonic Wrath which had only been released. I didn't see it in any of the shops I checked in but I kept on seeing the picture disc of Angel Witch and it was going for £8. I had no idea about the NWOBHM at that point, had never heard of Angel Witch and the sticker mentioned Maiden (interesting!) and Def Leppard (vomit inducing) so I skirted around it. Finally I found a copy of Sardonic Wrath and what else was there on the shelf but Angel Witch. After seeing it three or four times I thought, fuck it, eight bills. I'll give it a go. What a ripper. As soon as the self titled song kicked in my eyes popped out of my head. Instantly hooked. I can't say Sardonic Wrath got anywhere near the same sort of look in  :laugh: 

Remember Lars Ulrich brought out an album of NWOBHM back in the day. Very good selection too.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 22, 2024, 09:21:35 AMHow are you finding the new Brucie album? 

It is ok.  Some good songs but gets a bit boring towards the end.  Would prefer Accident, Chemical and Tyranny.  Those three are great. 

This morning while working

Aura Noir - Deep Tracts of Hell
Exciter - Long Live the Loud
Master - Saints Dispelled

Quote from: Don Gately on April 22, 2024, 12:13:51 PMRemember Lars Ulrich brought out an album of NWOBHM back in the day. Very good selection too.

I still have the tape somewhere, mighty stuff. I need to pick up the CD version, there're another 8 or 10 tracks on it.

Quote from: Don Gately on April 22, 2024, 12:13:51 PMRemember Lars Ulrich brought out an album of NWOBHM back in the day. Very good selection too.

NWOBHM 79 Revisited. Yeah, great mix of classics from the bigger acts, and some more obscure bands.

There are some brilliant NWOBHM compilations out there to be fair. One from back in the day that I love is 'New Electric Warriors'. Vardis are on there, but it's mostly lesser know acts like Buffalo, Silverwing etc.

There is a new version of the Neat singles compilations out too, a 4 disc set called 'All Systems Go - The Neat Singles Volume 1. A lot of the smaller bands were better on their singles and EP's than their full lengths, Persian Risk, Fist etc. 

Then again, some of the more promising bands like Aragorn (a big influence on Tom G Warrior apparently) and Jameson Raid never got the chance to make proper albums at the time.

#12530 April 22, 2024, 12:38:36 PM Last Edit: April 22, 2024, 12:44:05 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Anvil on April 22, 2024, 12:17:56 PM
Quote from: The Wretch on April 22, 2024, 09:21:35 AMHow are you finding the new Brucie album? 

It is ok.  Some good songs but gets a bit boring towards the end.  Would prefer Accident, Chemical and Tyranny.  Those three are great.

Funnily enough, even though the new one definitely lags at the end, it clicked with me quicker than Tyranny Of Souls did at the time. It took me a while to warm to that for some reason, but it really grew on me in later years. Although I still much prefer Accident Of Birth, and especially Chemical Wedding. Brave New World aside, they tower above anything Maiden have done in donkeys years. I mean, they are different stylistically obviously, I just mean in terms of overall quality, and being genuinely creative and inspired. And I've been more forgiving of modern Maiden than most older fans I think.

Crypt Sermon - Out of the Garden
Khanate - To Be Cruel
Gorguts - Erosion of Sanity

Cynic (as Portal) - The Portal Tapes.

I think this is the best thing associated with Cynic after Focus. Stylistically it's completely different of course, and there's rarely been anything quite like it; very mellow and airy, highly accomplished and jazzy playing but still very pop music-y.

Closest comparision I can muster is if Steely Dan's "Aja" was released in 1997 instead of 1977.

At the Gates - The Red in the Sky Is Ours
Pestilength - Solar Clorex

Quote from: Ducky on April 21, 2024, 01:04:54 PMIt's just one song, but Helmet + David Yow covering Zeppelin's "Custard Pie".

Brilliant.

Glad to have heard it, but didn't dig this. Sounds like Dred Zeppelin but drunk  :laugh:

The Aristocrats - Duck
The End Machine - The Quantum Phase

Supertramp - Breakfast In America
Dionysiaque - Diogonos
Opeth - Pale Communion
Opeth - Sorceress

Been very bad on my listening the last while because my spare room is in shit (and that's where I do most of my listening, usually while doing some sort of work).

Otherwise I have spent the weekend listening almost solidly to Ween - "Quebec" while driving about.  Savage album.

MAMA'S BOYS - Mama's Boys (1984)

Testament  - The legacy. Fucking great stuff.