Quote from: Don Gately on April 22, 2024, 09:05:31 PMTestament  - The legacy. Fucking great stuff.

Still my favourite of everything they have done.

Quote from: The Wretch on April 22, 2024, 09:13:53 PM
Quote from: Don Gately on April 22, 2024, 09:05:31 PMTestament  - The legacy. Fucking great stuff.

Still my favourite of everything they have done.

37 years old yesterday, apparently.

Yes I saw that too on planet rock I think and said lets give that a whirl.

Septage - Septic Worship
Dipygus - Bushmeat
Dipygus - Dipygus

Dipygus are fucking filthy.

Vulture - Sentinels
Megaton Sword - Might and Power
Hardraw - Abyss of Mankind
The Wizards - The Exit Garden
Judas Priest - Invincible Shield

Whitesnake - Little Box O' Snakes

All the Sunburst releases from the Snakebite EP up to Saints & Sinners.
Pure blues rock magic. Love this era of the band to bits.

Quote from: jobrok1 on April 23, 2024, 10:55:38 AMWhitesnake - Little Box O' Snakes

Fantastic stuff. Great songwriting from aul Cov, Moody and Marsden, with stellar musicianship, especially when Jon Lord and Ian Paice were there. One of my first introductions to heavy rock was 'Live In The Heart Of The City/Live At Hammersmith' on cassette. Still one of my favourite live albums. 

N.P. MAGNUM - Chase The Dragon (1982)

Another one of my early introductions to heavy rock, as well as pomp/prog. I was really sad when Tony Clarkin passed early this year. He was a great guitarist, and a massively underrated songwriter, if there was any justice the Brits would have elevated him to national treasure status.

Even when Magnum made concessions to the label to break America/have more hit singles, Clarkin was producing some absolute belters, and creating a style of melodic rock with a depth most artists of that genre - and even many critically acclaimed artists of other genres - couldn't even come close to. Their later albums are excellent and unfairly overlooked as well actually, they were remarkably consistent.

But that late 70's - mid 80's period was absolute magic.

Quote from: jobrok1 on April 23, 2024, 10:55:38 AMWhitesnake - Little Box O' Snakes

Bought this when it was released.  Magic stuff indeed!   

Got one of the re-issued versions.
The original with DVDs and 7" goes for silly money.

Elegiac- Father of Death

Rotting Christ -Theogonia,haven listened to it in years.They released a few good albums around the mid/late 2000s.

#12551 April 23, 2024, 09:38:26 PM Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 09:40:02 PM by Don Gately
Judas Priest- Nostradamus. Never listened to this album til today. Wasn't listening to much metal in 2008 when it came out. And due to the slating it has received I avoided it till now.
Saw a review recently where this album was praised and gave it a spin tonight while cutting the lawn.
It's fucking fantastic lads.
Some belting tunes some lovely piano work too. On first listen songs like Prophecy, Revelations, Exiled and Alone stand out. One to listen to in full I'd guess if you have the time

Were we wrong about Nostradamus?

I admire its ambition more than the end result but it's definitely better than it's given credit for. Prophecy, Pestilence And Plague and the title track are all fantastic and it features some of Halford's best vocal work to date.

Frankly, for all of it's inconsistency, it is at least interesting in some way, and has some inspired moments. The last two are just average to decent at most IMO. Halford's voice aside, they could be made any power metal band. I don't understand the overwhelming praise for their new stuff at all. 

I thought Firepower was fantastic, on a par with Angel Of Retribution if not better, a real return to form. Haven't heard Invincible Shield (I was gonna pick up the deluxe version with the bonus tracks but it's a bit pricey) and Redeemer was awful from start to finish.