It's a great album, though it took a year or two for me to come around to it. Bladecatcher is crap alright, just a mess that I usually skip but the rest of the album's gold - The Wolf Is Loose, Sleeping Giant, Hunters Of The Sky are personal favourites.

SEVENTH ANGEL - Lament For The Weary (1991)

Loved Blood Mountain straight out the gate, and would put second to only Leviathan (and also say I much prefer the BM production job).

It's like they said "fuck it, turn the  messy/tech-y tendencies up to 11". That instrumental section of Capillarian Crest sounds like it should be on an Atheist record.

Funnily enough, I had a similar experience as ye chaps here with Crack the Skye. Took me years to warm up to it, and even at that it's comfortably my least favourite of the first four.

BM is my least favourite of the first four but it's still great imo, sticking the three widely songs in a row probably held it slightly back.

Don't mind the recent stuff (OMRTS is my favourite post CTS), but hoping for something a bit riffier on the next, they've been relying a too much on Dailor vocally on the last few imo.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 09, 2024, 06:58:45 PMMastodon - Blood Mountain

Am I very slowly coming around to this, my least favourite Mastodon album? Maybe. The likes of Bladecatcher is still pure annoyance, but I've been able to listen to the album two days in a row now and enjoy the majority of it.

I've oddly never owned this and haven't ever heard a note of it despite loving Crack The Skye and Hushed & Grim. Must give it a listen.

Since today was sunny though I stuck with these old sunny weather reliables
Monster Magnet - Powertrip
Down - Nola
White Zombie - Astrocreep 2000....

Quote from: ldj on April 09, 2024, 08:58:39 PMBM is my least favourite of the first four but it's still great imo, sticking the three widely songs in a row probably held it slightly back.

Don't mind the recent stuff (OMRTS is my favourite post CTS), but hoping for something a bit riffier on the next, they've been relying a too much on Dailor vocally on the last few imo.

Yeah CtS is still great too, just the weakest of that lot.

OMRtS is also my favourite of their later albums. Which I bizarrely bought in Xtravision of all places. Still waiting for Dailor to go full Phil Collins and launch a solo career :laugh:

GALACTIC COWBOYS - Space In Your Face (1993)

Galactic Cowboys always feels like such a blast from the past! I had the debut and the Feel the Rage EP, can't even remember how I discovered them. Prob secondhand shop bought on spec for the name in my teens  :laugh:  Might give them a blast later for the sheer nostalgia of it.

#12353 April 09, 2024, 10:40:59 PM Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 10:45:09 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 09, 2024, 10:28:23 PMGalactic Cowboys always feels like such a blast from the past! I had the debut and the Feel the Rage EP, can't even remember how I discovered them. Prob secondhand shop bought on spec for the name in my teens  :laugh:  Might give them a blast later for the sheer nostalgia of it.

The debut was great, and 'Machine Fish' too, but 'Space In Your Face' was their best IMO, or at least the most fully realized version of what they were trying to do early on, that odd mix of thrash riffs, proggy time changes, and Beatles-ish melodies. And there is the Kings X element of course. It should be a fucking mess, but it works really well.

I love Kings X too though, and Atomic Opera.

Kings X are a band must give another go as well. Tried a few times but they haven't clicked yet. Suggestions?

Such a blast from the past. I remember reading about them in Kerrang, or possibly Raw. Picked up the debut on tape  while away for a weekend in Sligo town with the parents. Never checked out any of their other stuff though.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 09, 2024, 10:44:47 PMKings X are a band must give another go as well. Tried a few times but they haven't clicked yet. Suggestions?
Faith Hope Love, Out Of The Silent Planet, Gretchen goes... or Dogman if you fancy it a bit heavier.

Quote from: Ducky on April 09, 2024, 10:15:40 PM
Quote from: ldj on April 09, 2024, 08:58:39 PMBM is my least favourite of the first four but it's still great imo, sticking the three widely songs in a row probably held it slightly back.

Yeah CtS is still great too, just the weakest of that lot.

CtS is 10/10. Blood Mountain is the weakest of the first 4 by a significant distance for me.

#12358 April 09, 2024, 11:03:11 PM Last Edit: April 09, 2024, 11:05:38 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 09, 2024, 10:44:47 PMKings X are a band must give another go as well. Tried a few times but they haven't clicked yet. Suggestions?

'Out Of The Silent Planet' and 'Gretchen Goes To Nebraska' are still their best albums IMO.

'Faith Hope Love' seems to be the one that got the most attention and the biggest push, and it is really good, but I've always preferred the self titled album from 92.

Those 4 would be considered the ones with the classic Kings X sound - Again, a mix of heavy riffs, prog influences and Beatles harmonies, along with Pinnick's Gospel/Soul influences, and Ty Tabor's background of playing bluegrass as a kid. 

They went in more of a straight forward groove based direction after that, which maybe wasn't as unique, but 'Dogman' had some brilliant riffs, as did 'Tapehead', and the sound was really fucking heavy. 

The later albums are a bit hit and miss IMO. Not awful, but just that they tend to only have a few songs here and there that are really as inspired as their early work.

Sound, cheers. Revisiting Galactic Cowboys debut at the moment now, will stick on Space In Your Face after. Just realizing it's been so long since I listened to this that stuff like Spock's Beard wasn't even a reference for me last time. That means it might be 20+ years  :-X  :laugh: