Quote from: Anvil on April 10, 2024, 11:55:36 AM
Quote from: Naraka on April 10, 2024, 10:14:40 AMAttic - Return of the Witchfinder.

What is this like?   Only heard snippets of a song and thought it was very King Diamond inspired.   

If you're a King Diamond fan it should tick all of the boxes for you. I think all of their albums are deadly. There's no getting away from the King Diamond worship but when done properly that's surely a good thing.

Quote from: Don Gately on April 10, 2024, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: Carnage on April 10, 2024, 04:37:09 AMI left Empire halfway through, it wasn't doing it for me but I'll be picking up Mindcrime for sure. Voices/characters aside it's fantastic.

Try Rage for Order, after Mindcrime its the one I return to most, The Warning ⚠️ is good too.

Will do, cheers.

Quote from: Naraka on April 10, 2024, 12:11:32 PM
Quote from: Anvil on April 10, 2024, 11:55:36 AM
Quote from: Naraka on April 10, 2024, 10:14:40 AMAttic - Return of the Witchfinder.

What is this like?   Only heard snippets of a song and thought it was very King Diamond inspired.   

If you're a King Diamond fan it should tick all of the boxes for you. I think all of their albums are deadly. There's no getting away from the King Diamond worship but when done properly that's surely a good thing.

I can't take them at all seriously for that reason.

Incantation - Unholy Deification
Incantation - The Forsaken Mourning of Angelic Anguish

Quote from: open face surgery on April 09, 2024, 10:55:05 PM
Quote from: Ducky on April 09, 2024, 10:15:40 PM
Quote from: ldj on April 09, 2024, 08:58:39 PMBM is my least favourite of the first four but it's still great imo, sticking the three widely songs in a row probably held it slightly back.

Don't mind the recent stuff (OMRTS is my favourite post CTS), but hoping for something a bit riffier on the next, they've been relying a too much on Dailor vocally on the last few imo.

Yeah CtS is still great too, just the weakest of that lot.

CtS is 10/10. Blood Mountain is the weakest of the first 4 by a significant distance for me.

I stuck CtS on earlier after chatting about it last night and realise that my only grief with the album is The Czar. The other six songs are great (especially the title track and Ghost of Karelia, which are two of their best).

Operation: Mindcrime requires a lot of cough-coughing over so many cringe lyrical moments, but behind that there is an unquestionably brilliant musical album.

Quote from: Carnage on April 10, 2024, 01:10:45 PM
Quote from: Don Gately on April 10, 2024, 12:06:58 PM
Quote from: Carnage on April 10, 2024, 04:37:09 AMI left Empire halfway through, it wasn't doing it for me but I'll be picking up Mindcrime for sure. Voices/characters aside it's fantastic.

Try Rage for Order, after Mindcrime its the one I return to most, The Warning ⚠️ is good too.

Will do, cheers.

I really like Empire, but I can see why it wouldn't be your cup of tea. I've always been a big fan of the Queensrÿche EP and The Warning though. A bit more trad metal than their later albums, although there is still a prog element in there. Tate's vocals at the time were utterly astonishing. From a technical perspective, there is an argument to be made that he was the best singer in metal at that stage, and perhaps ever. Range, vocal power and technique, control, consistency, he was a genuine powerhouse.   

Midnight tips him to the post imo. Not by a huge amount, but with ease all the same.

#12383 April 10, 2024, 02:31:08 PM Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 02:32:59 PM by The Wretch
In terms of upper range and control they are neck and neck, but I'd argue Tate had more power in his belting in his prime, and a warmer and more resonant lower register. But yeah, it's pretty close.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain (prompted by yesterday's posts. Really liking it)

Coroner - Grin

Gorguts - Coloured Sands

Quote from: The Wretch on April 10, 2024, 02:31:08 PMIn terms of upper range and control they are neck and neck, but I'd argue Tate had more power in his belting in his prime, and a warmer and more resonant lower register. But yeah, it's pretty close.

Only one way to get to the bottom (and top) of this!

#12386 April 10, 2024, 05:41:36 PM Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 05:50:29 PM by The Wretch
Now the wailing thread has me thinking of all of the great trad/power metal singers.

HEAVEN'S GATE - Livin' In Hysteria (1991)

First heard these guys when this (their second album) record came out, thanks to one of those free cassettes with Metal Hammer. 

They have 3 or 4 albums after this, but I'm only really familiar with 'Hell For Sale' which was a cracker.

Anyway, Thomas Rettke had serious set of pipes.

Elgibbor - Corruptus_Vindicta  :abbath:  :abbath:

QUEENSRYCHE - Queensryche EP (1983)

HEAVEN'S GATE - Hell For Sale (1992)