I have yet to crack Confessor. The vocals... I'm loathe to write them off but they are hard work.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 02, 2024, 11:38:26 AMWatchtower- Control and Resistance. Not familiar with these lads bit the mention of them in the other thread put them in my head for my evening listen. Is it fair to say that Pantera were listening to this while writing Cowboys???

They were definitely influenced by Watchtower. Pantera asked Jason McMaster to audition for them in 1986 before Phil Anselmo joined.

#12242 April 02, 2024, 12:09:26 PM Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 12:24:59 PM by Carnage
Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 02, 2024, 12:01:50 PMI have yet to crack Confessor. The vocals... I'm loathe to write them off but they are hard work.

You get used to them, it's the drumming that demanded my attention. It'll amuse you to learn that he (Scott Jeffreys, vocals) joined Watchtower briefly, just after Control And Resistence.

NP:
Neurosis: Through Silver In Blood. 28 years old today, that time flew. Saw them on that tour (supporting Entombed), they blew me away.

Bathory - The Return
Ecclesia - Ecclesia Militans
Stygian Crown - Funeral for a King (another great release on Cruz Del Sur).
Drowned - Procul His
Coffin Storm - Arcana Rising. 

Quote from: Carnage on April 02, 2024, 12:09:26 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 02, 2024, 12:01:50 PMI have yet to crack Confessor. The vocals... I'm loathe to write them off but they are hard work.

You get used to them, it's the drumming that demanded my attention. It'll amuse you to learn that he (Scott Jeffreys, vocals) joined Watchtower briefly, just after Control And Resistence.

NP:
Neurosis: Through Silver In Blood. 28 years old today, that time flew. Saw them on that tour (supporting Entombed), they blew me away.

That gig was my introduction to Neurosis. Unreal.

Quote from: Carnage on April 02, 2024, 12:09:26 PM

NP:
[/quote
Quote from: Vlad III on April 02, 2024, 12:07:00 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 02, 2024, 11:38:26 AMWatchtower- Control and Resistance. Not familiar with these lads bit the mention of them in the other thread put them in my head for my evening listen. Is it fair to say that Pantera were listening to this while writing Cowboys???

They were definitely influenced by Watchtower. Pantera asked Jason McMaster to audition for them in 1986 before Phil Anselmo joined.

Interesting. I wonder if Phil's performance was directed to some degree on that album.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 02, 2024, 12:27:56 PM
Quote from: Carnage on April 02, 2024, 12:09:26 PMNeurosis: Through Silver In Blood. 28 years old today, that time flew. Saw them on that tour (supporting Entombed), they blew me away.

That gig was my introduction to Neurosis. Unreal.

Mine too, I'd never experienced anything like it. Went out and bought TSIB, Souls and Enemy the following day. Their golden era for sure.

They headlined a couple of years later, it wasn't as good IMO. Possibly lacking the surprise effect.

VAN HALEN - Fair Warning (1981)

Quote from: Vlad III on April 02, 2024, 09:20:20 AMRevenge - Scum.Collapse.Eradication

The last good Revenge album. Behold was very boring and the last album didn't hold my interest at all. Things just went downhill once Pete left. Scum is great but I think it could have been even better if Pete had have been on it. The live show isn't the same without him either.

Quote from: mickO))) on April 02, 2024, 10:43:32 PM
Quote from: Vlad III on April 02, 2024, 09:20:20 AMRevenge - Scum.Collapse.Eradication

The last good Revenge album. Behold was very boring and the last album didn't hold my interest at all. Things just went downhill once Pete left. Scum is great but I think it could have been even better if Pete had have been on it. The live show isn't the same without him either.

Scum is the only album I own by them and the only one I've listened to fully. I think the one album is enough! I'm more into bands like Diocletian who add a bit more variety to the oul war metal. Revenge can be a bit mind-numbing, but it's great to blast occasionally.

Darkthrone - Panzerfaust
Darkthrone - Total Death
Farscape - Purged and Forgotten
Mega Colossus - Showdown (interesting release.   Killer riffs and guitar work but some of the vocal melodies, especially in the chorus, wouldn't sound out of place in a pop punk album - not that I know much about pop punk.    I like it though).
Jess and the Ancient Ones - Vertigo

Axis of Advance - The List
Axis of Advance - Obey

Quote from: Vlad III on April 03, 2024, 09:56:14 AM
Quote from: mickO))) on April 02, 2024, 10:43:32 PM

Scum is the only album I own by them and the only one I've listened to fully. I think the one album is enough! I'm more into bands like Diocletian who add a bit more variety to the oul war metal. Revenge can be a bit mind-numbing, but it's great to blast occasionally.

Revenge is like most other things even Mortician it all sounds the same and like noise on the first few listens but after repeated plays you get to know the songs and realise there is much more to it then appears on the surface. You should try everything that came before scum. The first 3 full lengths are brilliant.

Quote from: Carnage on April 02, 2024, 12:09:26 PMNeurosis: Through Silver In Blood. 28 years old today, that time flew. Saw them on that tour (supporting Entombed), they blew me away.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on April 02, 2024, 12:27:56 PMThat gig was my introduction to Neurosis. Unreal.

Quote from: Carnage on April 02, 2024, 12:54:03 PMMine too, I'd never experienced anything like it. Went out and bought TSIB, Souls and Enemy the following day. Their golden era for sure.

They headlined a couple of years later, it wasn't as good IMO. Possibly lacking the surprise effect.

Must listen to "Through Silver In Blood" again. It's been a year or two.

I presume that Neurosis are done now, right? I only got to see them live a few times towards the end.

Quote from: Vlad III on April 03, 2024, 11:17:29 AMAxis of Advance - The List
Axis of Advance - Obey

I always go back to those two at least once a year