Rotting Christ- Passage to Arcturo.

Witchrist- The Grand Tormentor. The grand tormentor of braincells. I didn't even last five minutes. Shite.

Therapy?- Nurse. That's more fucking like it!

Therapy?: Nurse - the recent remaster with all the demo tracks tacked on at the end. Mighty stuff.

Quote from: Carnage on November 12, 2023, 01:31:11 AMTherapy?: Nurse - the recent remaster with all the demo tracks tacked on at the end. Mighty stuff.

I never heard that one. But apparently the version of Gone on the album is the demo version. They tried to re-record it in the studio but couldn't recapture the same vibe so they used the demo version.

Yep, bang on. This reissue has the demo versions of all of the other tracks included, they're up and down. But Gone was done once and that's the version that made it to the album. It's about someone Cairns knew and they couldn't replicate the feel of the demo. Choon TBH.

Quote from: Carnage on November 12, 2023, 01:31:11 AMTherapy?: Nurse - the recent remaster with all the demo tracks tacked on at the end. Mighty stuff.

Did they ever release a half decent version of the old demos? Had em on cassette for years but can't even remember the songs off em now other than a faint memory of thinking they were good. Have to say Nurse took a long time to grow on me and it's only the last few years it's really clicked despite Therapy? being one of the first bands I ever loved. Off to YouTube with me

Yeah, they released a load of demos as part of that Gemil boxset a few years ago. Piles of unreleased stuff too.

Ended up listening to Pleasure Death altogether. A good choice

That was the one that got me into them, I'd love to have seen them back then. That boxset has a DVD with a couple of early shows, you'd be sweatìng just watching them.

They really were never the same after Ewing were they

Different band altogether but still pull it off at times, High Anxiety and Cleave are two of my favourites. They were amazing live the couple of times I've seen them in Galway in recent years.

Actually haven't listened to High Anxiety even once would you believe. Did listen to Cleave and liked it except for the Awful Bend it Like Beckham tune.

Saw em live about 2019 and thought they were well decent, Teethgrinder being the highlight. Got to drink a couple of cans with em afterward too, which nicely rounded off the tale that began when I first scrawled that little face thing on my canvas schoolbag. Might try High Anxiety this evening ta fuck and see how it goes. Was listening to Semi Detached lately too which is much better than I'd given it credit for back in the day

#10826 November 12, 2023, 04:14:27 PM Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:40:47 PM by Ducky
High Anxiety is great. "Who Knows" may as well be one of the "big" songs from Troublegum.

It's Neil Cooper's first album with them, and I've always thought his style of playing is a lot closer to Ewing's than Hopkins' ever was.

Edit - Semi-detached is whopper. "Safe" and "Straight Life" are two of my favourite Therapy? songs :abbath:

High Anxiety is brilliant. Very kick in the vein of Troublegum with big singalong choruses.
I love Never Apologise, Never Explain.
The new one has sone brilliant moments. I never gave the 2 previous ones any time.

#10828 November 12, 2023, 08:00:35 PM Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 08:08:56 PM by Eoin McLove
They lost something after Nurse by going more poppy. I miss the weirdness. Some catchy songs alright, but nothing touches Nurse. There's a bit of an industrial buzz off nurse that makes it sound so alien.

At the time I thought that they'd become very conventional on Nurse TBH, they were already heading in the pop metal direction there, though they still had their own quirks intact. As much as they've changed over the years they still have their own identifiable sound. The book they brought out a couple of years ago is well worth a read, talks about their varying approaches to recording a lot.