CDs
Defiance – Void Terra Firma , original 1990 version
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Bad Religion - New Maps of Hell
Bothy Band - Old Hag you have killed Me
Maddy Prior & June Tabor - No More to the Dance
+ another 5 for 10 bucks

Soundgarden - 'Down on the Upside' on CD, didn't get this album at the time it came out.

Live Burial - Curse of Forlorn cd
De profundis- corruption of virtue cd
Leper Colony - ST cd

Transcending Obscurity are smashing it these days

Anathema- The Silent Enigma DLP.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 17, 2023, 09:02:28 AMAnathema- The Silent Enigma DLP.

I've always been a bit schizo about that LP. If I'm in the mood, it's manna but there are other times when the emerging Cavanagh vocals make it sound like a stepping stone between Serenades and Eternity. Still, it's a nice one to have.

Quote from: 91/30 on January 13, 2023, 11:27:42 AMCDs
Defiance – Void Terra Firma , original 1990 version
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Bad Religion - New Maps of Hell
Bothy Band - Old Hag you have killed Me
Maddy Prior & June Tabor - No More to the Dance
+ another 5 for 10 bucks

That bothy band one is a cracker. Love the Mike Oldfield-esque weirdness in 'Fionnughla'. They're one of those bands, like Stocktons Wing, that are way underrated. I'm convinced some of it is because lads auld fellas had it on in the car when they were young and they've become traumatised. Certainly the case with when it comes to Stocktons, the old boy with fag in gob, hand out the window tapping the rhythm on the roof of the car :)

#981 January 17, 2023, 09:34:36 AM Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 09:36:43 AM by Eoin McLove
Quote from: Caomhaoin on January 17, 2023, 09:14:25 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on January 17, 2023, 09:02:28 AMAnathema- The Silent Enigma DLP.

I've always been a bit schizo about that LP. If I'm in the mood, it's manna but there are other times when the emerging Cavanagh vocals make it sound like a stepping stone between Serenades and Eternity. Still, it's a nice one to have.

Anathema passed me by for many a year because of the vocals. I thought they were grand but a bit polite. I always loved MDB and PL so a few years ago I picked up the Serenades LP and it's great. The early, pre- alt rock stuff works for me now. Funny enough, I don't think I would have liked the old dude's growls back in the day as they aren't that extreme sounding, but that's exactly what works about them these days. Kind of half growled, half sung, not a million miles from Lee Dorrian circa Forest of Equilibrium. I'll gradually gather up all the early Anathema stuff, and who knows, maybe the later gay stuff will grow on me with time.

I also thought The Blood Divine were atrocious in the 90s, hearing them on Metal Hammer CDs. Now they are high on my list of CDs to pick up. Sherlukkit!

Alternative 4 is a great album, Judgement is unbelievable. The last few though, and it's the logical conclusion of their trajectory, are too much for me. 'Nice', but the arse has fallen out of them. Not for me, Jeff.

#983 January 17, 2023, 10:06:03 AM Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 10:29:25 AM by Eoin McLove
Same buzz for me with Katatonia. Could never warm to their gay stuff. It was a bit too samey and bland, despite being pleasant enough, and it put me off checking out the early stuff. A few years ago I grabbed Dance of December Souls and it's great for when you're in the mood for that early 90s doom death sound. It seems to be a lost art, trying to capture doom death that's atmospheric and catchy as opposed to SUFFOCATING CRUSHING! Pity.

Edit: Dance Off: December Souls. That presents a host of new opportunities.

Yeah, I'm at that stage of my life that I've enough things crushing my chest cavity without the choons adding to it:)

I enjoy pretty much all of Anathema's stuff.
The only one I struggle with is 'Eternity'. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

The early stuff stands well and truly on it's own, though.
While 'TSE' to 'Judgement' are the real stepping stones to their later sound.
The later stuff is very samey alright, but as full albums they generally just work. They do for me, at least.

Katatonia... after the early Doom/Death stuff I really lost interest. I tried to like them for a while, but just couldn't stay on board with them past 'The Great Cold Distance'.

#986 January 19, 2023, 10:56:24 AM Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:35:31 AM by 91/30
Pavlovs  Dog - Pampered Menial
Damned Nation  - Road of Desire
Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
Tiger Army - Ghost Tigers Arise

Heap of punk, classical, folk, country CDs as well,  stand out for me been
Flaco Jimenez - Ay Te Dejo En San Antonio, tex/mex accordion playing

War Crab - Damned in Endless Night. Vinyl, for some reason on their own BC page its a tenner and on the labels its 27e

Subhumans:
Time Flies... But Aeroplanes Crash / Rats
Worlds Apart
29:29 Split Vision
& a beanie

Bandcamp sale.

#989 January 25, 2023, 09:51:20 AM Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 09:53:43 AM by 91/30
Tony Joe White - Best of, LP from 1971, pity 'As The Crow Flies' isn't on it....
Two Dave Edmunds LPs - 'Twangin' & 'Singles A's and B's'