#165 March 10, 2024, 06:15:41 PM Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 06:17:50 PM by astfgyl
Quote from: John Kimble on March 05, 2024, 08:25:07 PMHey look, I'm being flippant of course but you're entering silly territory here if you're even half suggesting a parallel between Limp Bizkit and the Cure.

https://youtu.be/kxzFvbKNTqY?feature=shared

Tried embedding no joy, but who does this remind me of, I can't think of it

Quote from: astfgyl on March 10, 2024, 06:15:41 PM
Quote from: John Kimble on March 05, 2024, 08:25:07 PMHey look, I'm being flippant of course but you're entering silly territory here if you're even half suggesting a parallel between Limp Bizkit and the Cure.

I think you might be thinking of Stone Roses - Waterfall

EDIT: It also has vibes of the Crazy Town - Butterfly bassline (or RHCP - Pretty Little Ditty, if you prefer)

Quote from: Mooncat on March 11, 2024, 10:36:21 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on March 10, 2024, 06:15:41 PM

I think you might be thinking of Stone Roses - Waterfall

EDIT: It also has vibes of the Crazy Town - Butterfly bassline (or RHCP - Pretty Little Ditty, if you prefer)

I was also thinking they were doing their best to rip off a guitar line from The Cure but it does fit those other descriptions as well

Dunno who it reminds me of tbh but one thing for sure, it fucking sucks

Sounds like a love song written by an incel about a female anime character

Quote from: John Kimble on March 12, 2024, 06:36:39 PMDunno who it reminds me of tbh but one thing for sure, it fucking sucks

Sounds like a love song written by an incel about a female anime character

Still Sucks is another decent album actually and I don't know what an incel is because I never looked it up.

I didn't listen to the lyrics of that one either, I was just pointing out how they ripped on The Cure guitar sound and I have no bother standing over Limp Bizkit being no less cool than any of the Lord of the Rings fantasy metal stuff on offer that lads here have no bother recommending in the now listening thread. Or any other nu metal either because we may all face up to the fact that none of the stuff on here is "cool".

In fact, is anything cool at all really or do we just like what we like? I listen to plenty of pop music as well as the metal so I've abandoned cool a long time ago

Thinking about it all here and I reckon Katatonia would fairly be described as nu metal as well since about Last Fair Deal Gone Down and lots of people on here have no bother with them, which I guess is down to the old stuff not being nu

While I don't think I could stomach a full album from any of the bands mentioned in this thread it strikes me that there is a pretty class playlist to be made from the handful of daycent songs each band has.

#172 March 14, 2024, 10:58:00 PM Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 11:00:11 PM by Mithrandir
Probably later than the original wave of Nu Metal mentioned but Slipknot's Vol 3. Subliminal Verses was massive for me in primary school, listening back of some of it it's pretty easy to see why I transitioned to death metal so quick, listen to the blasts at the start of this, sounds like Devourment  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/3deDNMr12rQ?si=NBb8oOezdzIvQWhQ

What a drummer Joey Jordison was.

Quote from: Mithrandir on March 14, 2024, 10:58:00 PMProbably later than the original wave of Nu Metal mentioned but Slipknot's Vol 3. Subliminal Verses was massive for me in primary school, listening back of some of it it's pretty easy to see why I transitioned to death metal so quick, listen to the blasts at the start of this, sounds like Devourment  :laugh:

https://youtu.be/3deDNMr12rQ?si=NBb8oOezdzIvQWhQ

What a drummer Joey Jordison was.

I should actually give this one another go. I remember thinking the production was cool but Corey Taylor was annoying me by then with the Stone Sour thing

Quote from: Born of Fire on March 14, 2024, 06:16:52 PMWhile I don't think I could stomach a full album from any of the bands mentioned in this thread it strikes me that there is a pretty class playlist to be made from the handful of daycent songs each band has.

Good idea and tbf there's none I can think of that doesn't have at least one absolute stinker on it outside of Deftones

#175 March 20, 2024, 11:27:35 PM Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:46:01 PM by astfgyl
OK is there a more defining nu metal album than Korn - Life Is Peachy?

Arguments welcome but I doubt I'll have too many other than the first Korn one or Deftones 2nd or 3rd one

Edit: while not being a defining as the aforementioned, Deftones' self titled is the best of the lot for me and I would welcome the arguments against that as well

Edit again: I also reckon that the track Hexagram opening the self titled Deftones album was the track that finally grew them out beyond the confines of the both fairly and unfairly maligned nu metal movement as a whole.

Discuss?

Fuck it I'll come up with my own response if left long enough lol

The only nu metal album I could happily sit through these days is the SOAD debut. I think the first Deftones album was a decent post hardcore kind of thing but I'm not sure how well it has aged and all of their "mature" stuff since Around the Fur was boring. Korn... dunno. Some cool songs that might pull it through for me. I don't think anything else stands the test of time.

Also, there might be a strong argument to be made that the first SOAD album is really just a punk record in disguise.

Have heard that Darren the SOAD guitarist two favourite bands were Beatles and deicide. Which makes a lot of sense when you listen to the first couple of records.

I could never get on board with SOAD, I found them supremely annoying. I can appreciate that they were doing something really different though and the band was talented.

Could never get into Linkin Park either, though all the proto-emo kids in my school worshipped them.

Recently came across the song Click Click Boom by Saliva. Everything that was wrong with nu-metal, but holy shit was it catchy. I'll admit to listening to it a few times while drinking the other night  :laugh: