I still give the first SOAD the odd whirl but I wouldn't be mad about Serj's vocals. Agree with the general sentiment that a lot of the genre (as loose as that is) doesn't hold up but Deftones self titled is the peak of it all for me. I'd dip in and out of the nu stuff in general and while I often find myself digging out something I'd forgotten it wouldn't stick most of the time and the once would do it really.

Reading the thread here I still think it pretty much boils down to Deftones, Limp Bizkit and Korn as the only ones with a few decent albums and lots of others who have one or two decent releases but went bad after that. Stuff like Static X, Mudvayne, Sevendust, SOAD I like a bit of but couldn't get on board with most of.

Top 3 albums of it all for me would be

Korn - Korn
Deftones - Deftones
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other

Those three for me are simply great albums regardless of the genre thing and I listen to them often enough because I like them rather than any nostalgia thing.

Did give Life is Peachy a run the other night and enjoyed it too though it's better than I remember

Here's one that hasn't even been mentioned here:

Team Sleep. I love that album. The Woodstock Sessions live one is also great but very different to the album. Pity they hadn't made more but I suppose we have Crosses to fill that gap now

Quote from: nukeabuse on March 21, 2024, 10:22:15 PMHave heard that Darren the SOAD guitarist two favourite bands were Beatles and deicide. Which makes a lot of sense when you listen to the first couple of records.

I used to wonder where they got their sound until I got into Primus recently, SOAD is pure primus worship to my lugs.
Half the songs on the first few albums are a mash-up of Too Many Puppies, Gerry Was A Race Car Driver and Lacquer Head.
That's not to take from SOAD now like, I really enjoy their first few, Toxicity is a fucking unreal album.

Never deep dived primus despite liking the singles, but from what I've heard that comparison makes sense for the bonkers choices both bands make in certain parts. Im a big fan of system but can't thing of any band before or after that really sound close to them at all.

I would argue that there some borderline death metal parts on the first album.

First bands I properly got into where of the nu metal persuasion, first album was a linkin park rec. But only thing I can imagine holding up from then would be possibly first 2 slipknot recs and some Korn tracks although haven't tested either in years.

Never was a limp Bizkit fan even then, but am very tempted to go see them live this summer, rail some lines and kick a man in the chest to break stuff. Can't not be a good time

I'm trying to talk a lad into heading to Limp Bizkit in Belfast as we speak

Sorry (not really) to bump this thread; but I enjoyed reading through it there & just had to. I'm sure it annoys the hell out of the GoatPenis & Mortuary Drape fans. "nu" is almost like a forbidden word to the Trve! :abbath:

But yeah I admit freely & proudly even- I grew up on KoRn & Slipknot & a lot of nu-metal & still enjoy Break Stuff so fuck off before I chainsaw your ass raw or whatever the fuck the cunt says. I just turned 39- I was born in 85, so I was 15 in the year 2000 & a very impressionable young man. Before nu-metal I was kinda into Nirvana & just discovered Metallica & Black Sabbath etc...but my main exposure and way to hear & find metal was through getting the Kerrang! mags & watching predominantly nu-metal music videos on their tv channel; along with MTV2 etc. So yeah as much as I've grown to love a lot more "deeper" or "mature" or whatever music & incredible prog stuff like King Crimson or insane tech death or even the virtues of slimy manky obscure death/black hybrid bands like PORTAL......I still enjoy a lot of the music from that era with great nostalgia.

But yes, the main reason I had to reply & bump this thread....I must bring up & humbly highly suggest a gem of an album I rarely see mentioned. I fuckin love this album to death; & I think it's secretly the best nu-metal record from that era. It has the nu groove, tone, production etc; but kinda grungey Alice In Chains & maybe a bit of Metallica Load/ReLoad era vibez goin on

Vision of Disorder - From Bliss to Devastation (2001)

full album on the youtube

Another 1 or 2 that are deadly & I still go back to I can think of right now are

The Union Underground - ...An Education In Rebellion (2001) (+their song "Across The Nation" also, from a WWF soundtrack is the business)
Stereomud - Perfect Self (2001) (likewise their song "End Of Everything" from a WWF soundtrack-maybe the same 1?- is deadly)
Neurotica - Neurotica (2002) (Kelly Shaefer, vocalist of ATHEIST band! pretty decent; I like his vocals.)

Also, I think it's worth mentioning;..99% of the "Metalcore" of today and the last decade or 2 goes totally over me head altogether- and just clearly is not for me or perhaps most of my generation, but the odd new band that's doing a kind of hybrid mix of old school nu-metal with metalcore/deathcore/hardcore twists are really doing some interesting shit. I highly suggest checkin out bands like Tallah, Cane Hill, DEALER !, Alpha Wolf, LOATHE, black coast, vein;fm, DARKO (DARKO is more prog-deathcore or whatever than much nu but they fit in with these bands comfortably- I think this band is insanely good to be fuckin honest)

#186 May 16, 2024, 09:32:31 PM Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 11:20:39 PM by The Wretch
I remember hearing the first Korn album at the time and thinking "this is something different" but I couldn't take to them at all. And the more I heard and saw them, the more annoying they became.

Friends of mine did like Deftones, who I didn't mind so much, but they were one of the bands that were overplayed when we having a session or whatever, like fucking Tool, or Nine Inch Nails, or the Alice In Chains unplugged album, and frankly, like the whole Nirvana and Pearl Jam thing, I'd be happy if I never heard any of that stuff again. System Of A Down had some interesting riffs, but I fucking HATED that vocalist with all of that forced goofy bullshit and "pogo pogo pogo" shite.   

At that point, aside from classic metal and extreme metal (and the likes of Slough Feg) I was diving fully into 70's bands, so nu-metal couldn't have been further away from what I was enjoying at the time anyway. 

All of the other nu-metal bands I heard I thought were daft, lumpen shite. I fucking hated the whole culture at the time, the music, the aesthetic, the clothing, the lyrics, everything, and I still don't get it. I understand it was a "gateway" for younger fans, but I couldn't fathom what the fuck people saw in that scene at all. It seemed as daft as any of the late 80's Timotei advert bands like Slaughter, and at least those bands, limp and contrived as they were, had obviously talented guitarists or whatever.   

I went to see the original Sabbath at Ozzfest in 2001, and most of the support bands were nu-metal. One of my mates was into the Slipknot album that came out at the time, and even he thought they were awful that day. Mind you, to be fair, all you could hear was the percussionist and the wonky headed fucker on vocals. And Disturbed were there, driving around on a golf cart, looking to see who noticed and recognized them. Bunch of absolute fannies.

I remember sitting on the embankment, completely off my face, looking at Papa Roach, or that "nu-glam" band Pure Rubbish and feeling like I was in fucking hell. I'd have been more comfortable heading up the NĂ¹ng River to visit Colonel Kurtz at that point. Were it not for the fact I saw Sabbath, I would have counted it among the worst experiences of my life.

From Bliss To Devastation is a great record. More Soundgarden influenced in parts than Nu, but plenty of detuned bounce riffs throughout.

Had that VoD album knocking about for years but I preferred the first one. First track on From Bliss is great though iirc.(been a long time)

Funny that Sepultura didn't make it in here with Roots. Like there's no doubting it's nu metal but nobody is in saying it's good. Just a random thought while I was listening to schizophrenia there

Quote from: astfgyl on May 19, 2024, 10:06:06 AMFunny that Sepultura didn't make it in here with Roots. Like there's no doubting it's nu metal but nobody is in saying it's good. Just a random thought while I was listening to schizophrenia there

I wouldn't say it's an all out nu metal record aside from a few riffs.

Roots biggest issue is that it was far too bloated at an hour long(as were all the top tier bands albums at the time).

Hack 20 mins off it and it's a stronger album.

Quote from: astfgyl on May 19, 2024, 09:39:49 AMHad that VoD album knocking about for years but I preferred the first one. First track on From Bliss is great though iirc.(been a long time)

Imprint is still their masterpiece. Absolutely vicious record.

Jaysus is Roots only an hour long? Feels like double that at least!

As for VoD yep imprint is ripping I may get that out again soon if I think of it

Was it Vision of Disorder that played around the corner from Fibbers in the basement?
Defo seen them around the time of Imprint...................

Limp Bizkit's latest album - Still Sucks is actually great craic. Had it on there earlier and it's unashamedly stupid but still the tunes are actually good.