I can't comment on Synapse. I think I heard a demo online fifteen or twenty years ago. Ruffhouse were the epitome of nu metal bandwagon jumpers. Strange that they already had a foot or two in the underground and jumped ship. Maybe they saw the writing on the wall for more traditional metal styles as the 90s wore on and thought they'd never get anywhere playing death metal. I must go and listen to Synapse again. I remember thinking Skinfather were really good at the FF gig but never saw a demo for sale in Sound Cellar, if they ever even recorded one, so no real memory now of what they played. To my young, not very experienced ears they sounded like death metal but who knows.

Medulla Nocte played Cork a few times I'm sure. Never got to see them for some reason. They were a savage band. Particularly the second album. Most of what Paul Catten was involved in was brilliant.
He did a doom type thing called Lazarus Black Star or something similar.
It may not have been doom at all.
I love the Murder One album he is on as well. Not Nu Metal but they came up a couple of posts back.

Quote from: Circlepit on March 04, 2024, 10:54:55 AMMedulla Nocte played Cork a few times I'm sure. Never got to see them for some reason. They were a savage band. Particularly the second album. Most of what Paul Catten was involved in was brilliant.
He did a doom type thing called Lazarus Black Star or something similar.
It may not have been doom at all.
I love the Murder One album he is on as well. Not Nu Metal but they came up a couple of posts back.
They played The Phoenix one time definitely,can remember it being a mental gig.The Drummer squeezing up the stairs stands out too!

I think the Jammer fella that died was the tie in with Murder One. Paul Catten and Frank Loughlin from Speedhorn singing with other fellas.

Quote from: Paul keohane on March 04, 2024, 08:22:52 AMJust did a bit of googling ref Medulla nocte,any of you remember this banger of a gig in Dorans?.What a mix of styles in that line up!

I was at this in Dorans, The Crown rocked, the bass player was class, very much Cliff Burton inspired!

Apologies (pic didn't travel) this is the Haunted gig in 2000, it was class!

This Limp Bizkit EP is great. 5 very good songs out of the 7 tracks and sees them veer in a direction that I wouldn't expect from their general output.

This one sounds almost like noise rock. Might be of interest to lads who use Chat Pile as a comfort blanket lol

Dunno why the video won't embed but it's a great track anyway with darker than usual lyrics. Hard to imagine it's the same lads who released Rollin, which is as bad as songs get tbf.

#144 March 05, 2024, 12:15:21 PM Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:13:57 PM by Giggles
Quote from: astfgyl on March 04, 2024, 10:32:14 PMDunno why the video won't embed

That Youtube embed button has been chopping off the first parts of links for me so I've had to embed them manually.

Yours looks like this
[youtube]SZkUX0Fqpm4[/youtube]
It should look like this
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkUX0Fqpm4[/youtube]

Hope that helps!

#145 March 05, 2024, 12:15:56 PM Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 12:18:24 PM by Giggles
Double post

#147 March 05, 2024, 01:28:20 PM Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 01:30:33 PM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: jpm4 on March 01, 2024, 08:00:51 PMRemember Tura Satana and Human Waste Project? Kerrang were pushing them like mad for a year or so.

First album I ever owned on CD was the first Korn record, it was the first really heavy music I bought around the same time it came out so I have a lot of nostalgia for it. But after a year or so I moved onto other things and never revisit it these days.

Said it elsewhere, HWP were great and were closer to something like a heavier Jane's Addiction than Nu Metal. Still love Deftones who've also completely transcended this tag.

I found the first Korn lp and follow up to be very exciting at the time given it sounded like Faith No More playing Godflesh songs, have gone back to them recently enough as my daughter is a big fan and they hold up well compared to what followed. Again, given I was finding death/black metal tedious  and my tastes had expanded in general to embrace a number of other musical things (particularly Bad Brains' "I Against I" - "Reignition" in particular which i reckon is underrated as a template for some of the Nu Metal stuff) , stuff like Korn and Fear Factor definitely did feel like a breath of fresh air to me at the time for heavier music, though that became stale remarkably quickly.

Also I'm old enough to have lived through the Funk metal era, and I had that LAPD 12" before Korn bizarrely enough, only found out the connection later.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on March 05, 2024, 01:28:20 PMI found the first Korn lp and follow up to be very exciting at the time given it sounded like Faith No More playing Godflesh songs, have gone back to them recently enough as my daughter is a big fan and they hold up well compared to what followed.

Revisited the first Korn and Life is Peachy recently and found them both to have held up surprisingly well. Dark and very heavy. Completely went to pot with the third album, which is when they were obv aiming for serious MTV airtime and were doing retarded collabs with Limp Bizkit.

Funnily enough Nu metal got me and the wife into trouble on honeymoon. Staying in a semi detached villa on Santorini, we were well pished by evening time and decided to have a night of 90s karaoke.

Took a look out the window at the neighbours and there were no lights on so we though game on, let's go biccies.

At some point they came in for the night, we didn't hear due to the loudness of the singalong. They happily sat through Paradise Lost, Therapy, Wildhearts, Terrorvision etc but eventually started going mental hammering on the wall shouting for us to fuck up.

The song that tipped them over?

Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff.