Quote from: Mithrandir on December 05, 2023, 06:21:30 AMThinking about tapping the Vein by Sodom, what a fucking out the gate album to come out with on your 5th album after 10 years in the game, it's essentially a death metal album. Recruiting a 20 year old college student on  guitar who had no live experience is mental and I'm not really sure how it came about considering how big Sodom would have been at the time (I should watch lord of depravity) But also this is probably what brought the life into that album. . They fumbled the ball with the follow up, one of the worst guitar tones ever, but tapping the vein is up there with the best they've done, seriously needs a reissue.

It's savage and it's got the Smurf off his face on roids on the cover. The riffs are so tight and laser focused. The follow up is crazy heavy as well.

This popped up in my memories,24 years ago today!,still one of my all time favourite gigs!

Quote from: Paul keohane on December 08, 2023, 01:41:45 PMThis popped up in my memories,24 years ago today!,still one of my all time favourite gigs!

A mate of mine died a few days before this and I went on a bit of a vodka "experience" for a few days straight. I lost track of what day it was and forgot to go to this. I drunkenly ended up in Fibbers later on the gig night and was surrounded by people in MA shirts... anyway I ended up talking to a few of them and telling them how I was looking forward to the gig "tomorrow" and they all laughed and one of them (pretty sure it was Paul Kearns) generously gave me a ticket. I thanked him and went on my way  waking up the next morning to the delight of people's generosity. It obviously all changed later that day when I realised...  :laugh:  I'm sure I still have the stub  somewhere.
In fairness if some young locked eejit came up to me about a gig like that, I'd probably do the same!

Why hasn't there been any other gigs in King John's Castle apart from the Behemoth/Amon Amarth show?

Loads of gigs un the castle every year,just that none of them are metal. I remember H at the time saying that the cost for renting the castle was mental

I'd say it's hard to get the names. I mean who would realistically be both small enough and big enough to make it work?

Quote from: astfgyl on December 14, 2023, 08:16:59 PMI'd say it's hard to get the names. I mean who would realistically be both small enough and big enough to make it work?
true, isn't it usually indie bands that play it?

Remember when bonus cds in albums had music videos on them? I used to think that was a class touch as a young lad. All on YouTube now, but sure its still nice to actually have a copy ha ha

If all bands had to break up after their 4th album, the world wouldn't to too much worse off. There'll be a handful of exceptions, yeah, but the vast majority of stuff from album 5 onwards is a pale reflection of what went before. Most bands have said everything they had to say by #4.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 17, 2023, 12:15:36 PMIf all bands had to break up after their 4th album, the world wouldn't to too much worse off. There'll be a handful of exceptions, yeah, but the vast majority of stuff from album 5 onwards is a pale reflection of what went before. Most bands have said everything they had to say by #4.

Sepultura?

Edit: I agree though

Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 17, 2023, 12:15:36 PMIf all bands had to break up after their 4th album, the world wouldn't to too much worse off. There'll be a handful of exceptions, yeah, but the vast majority of stuff from album 5 onwards is a pale reflection of what went before. Most bands have said everything they had to say by #4.

I'd possibly stretch that to 5 or 6 but definitely not beyond that.

Quote from: astfgyl on December 17, 2023, 12:20:49 PM

Sepultura?

Edit: I agree though
You get Beneath the Remains and Arise, but no Chaos AD, no Roots, that's not so bad. Sure most of yiz fuckers say it's not Sepultura without Max anyway, so we might still get Dante on a technical loophole  ;)  :laugh:

There are a few bands who did something glorious after #4 but there aren't many  :abbath:

Yeah it's a fair point the more I think about it there really are fuck all that did anything useful beyond 4 albums

Is Painkiller the biggest outlier to that theory?